Friedman: 4 Teams front-runners for Jaden Schwartz- Seattle, Van, Col, LA

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Friedman mentions it in his 31 Thoughts Podcast.

Says he was told Seattle really likes Jaden Schwartz and there is mutual interest.

Also mentions that Colorado has Schwartz pegged as a Landsekog replacement if Ladeskog walks.

Vancouver and LA are also very interested in him.

Whats the scouting report on Schwartz over the last few seasons. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Just turned 29 yrs old so teams might be hesitant for term over 4 years.

The Price is Right? | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jaden Schwartz c'mon down

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Nice player but hopefully he values winning and will take a significant haircut to do so. Big risk factor here

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Vancouver has 3 D men under contract with Hughes and Pettersson to sign but are looking at signing Schwartz.
Only thing they should be doing right now is getting them signed. If they start booking a UFA or two I see an offer sheet coming down the pipe.

Pettersson is exactly the type of player you offer sheet.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Vancouver has 3 D men under contract with Hughes and Pettersson to sign but are looking at signing Schwartz.
Only thing they should be doing right now is getting them signed. If they start booking a UFA or two I see an offer sheet coming down the pipe.

Good luck trying to convince Pettersson to live outside of Vancouver.

Check out his social media, kid loves living in Van. Even stayed in Vancouver rather than going home to Sweden last year.

Also Van has plenty of space to sign guys like Schwartz and Larsson.

They have buy out options and will probably use picks as sweetener to get rid of contracts like Holtby, Roussel and maybe even Eriksson.

Pettersson and Hughes should cost around 15mil combined with their new bridge deals.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
These forwards looking for retirement contracts scare the hell out of me. You just know damn well that whatever he gets is going to be too much, and that the contract is going to be an albatross at some point.

I feel a little better giving the type of contract we're probably talking about to a Dman. I think they age a little better.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

Dont ya feel vancouver would match virtually anything though. If some team offers him around 10 million, would you pay that?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Good luck trying to convince Pettersson to live outside of Vancouver.

Check out his social media, kid loves living in Van. Even stayed in Vancouver rather than going home to Sweden last year.

Also Van has plenty of space to sign guys like Schwartz and Larsson.

They have buy out options and will probably use picks as sweetener to get rid of contracts like Holtby, Roussel and maybe even Eriksson.

Pettersson and Hughes should cost around 15mil combined with their new bridge deals.

Ok I will play. Vancouver signs Pettersson and Hughes for 15 million combined. Schwartz is going to cost you 5 - 6 million and Larsson is 4 million ( rumor has it he has already agreed to a deal in Edmonton) So there is another 10 million. You are still short 1 defenceman to make 6 and you short at forward. That is going to be a lot of sweetening to just make those two fit forget about filling out just the rest of a 20 man roster.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Ok I will play. Vancouver signs Pettersson and Hughes for 15 million combined. Schwartz is going to cost you 5 - 6 million and Larsson is 4 million ( rumor has it he has already agreed to a deal in Edmonton) So there is another 10 million. You are still short 1 defenceman to make 6 and you short at forward. That is going to be a lot of sweetening to just make those two fit forget about filling out just the rest of a 20 man roster.

-Seattle take Holtby
- buy out Virtanen, Roussell
- LTIR Ferland
- Trade Schmidt for picks or cheap middle 6
- If by miracle we trade Eriksson by adding something like the 42nd overall pick with him

Lots of option

I also dont think Canucks will be in Schwartz if its north of 5 mil.

Larsson, there seems to be conflicting reports that differ each day

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Dont ya feel vancouver would match virtually anything though. If some team offers him around 10 million, would you pay that?

If they suddenly are throwing around 5 to 6 million to guys like Schwartz or Hyman and then 4 million to a Dman like Larsson or Savard they suddenly have a 10 million less cap to play with.

A team like Seattle could offer 8 years 10 million to Pettersson and 8 for 8 million on Hughes. I think Vancouver would have to match but what would be left of that team? Remember they are in the same Division and Seattle wants to be exactly like Vegas, which is competitive right from the start. That is why Vancouver better have those to signed before they start throwing around big cheddar to complimentary winger.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If they suddenly are throwing around 5 to 6 million to guys like Schwartz or Hyman and then 4 million to a Dman like Larsson or Savard they suddenly have a 10 million less cap to play with.

A team like Seattle could offer 8 years 10 million to Pettersson and 8 for 8 million on Hughes. I think Vancouver would have to match but what would be left of that team? Remember they are in the same Division and Seattle wants to be exactly like Vegas, which is competitive right from the start. That is why Vancouver better have those to signed before they start throwing around big cheddar to complimentary winger.

LOL are fans still afraid of offer sheets?

When was the last time an offer sheet was signed and not matched?

2007!

Gimme a break

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I get the interest from Vancouver's end. He'd be a great fit in rounding out the Top-6, and the sort of player who could still produce well enough and thrive in a role where he might not get the most choice prime cut offensive icetime, and top-unit Powerplay opportunities. Same idea as Hyman there, presumably...as guys who can produce at even strength and contribute elsewhere on special teams like the PK and defensive zone starts, etc.

I even like the player, specifically. He's fun to watch when he's healthy and on his game. Stylistically, would seem like someone who should mesh great with Horvat (who to my eye, is a very similar player to Schenn, whom Schwartz has had success with).

Buuuuuuuuttttttt...These sort of UFA contracts for ~29/30 year old Forwards who "work hard", scare the bejeepers out of me. Unless they can somehow keep the term reasonably short...it's really concerning, what you're going to be paying for in years 3, 4+ of whatever these deals end up realistically being. These aren't players you want on significant "Top-6 Money" contracts beyond say, ~32/33 years of age. There are just too few guys of that profile who are still worth it into that age range.

Seattle would be interesting, especially if they took Tarasenko in the expansion draft and kept him. Plug Johansen/Duchene in the middle out of Nashville, and you've basically stolen an approximation of the Blues top line from a Cup winner not too long ago (albeit an older, lesser version). Would be kinda funny though.

Colorado's interest, i would presume hinges on what happens with Landeskog. If Landeskog does in fact walk...they're obviously going to have a significant hole to fill. Maybe they can stoploss some of that for half the price and less term, by bringing in Schwartz. Would make sense. But could make it tough for them to really be competitive in a rapid-fire bidding situation, if they're still halfway down one avenue chasing Landeskog instead.

Los Angeles seem to be rumored in on just about anyone of note. Everything there seems to indicate they're going to be aggressive in trying to turn things around quickly there, including the UFA market. So that makes sense, though again...somewhat scattershot interest all over the map, could make it tougher to land any one particular guy. If he's not necessarily their absolute "first priority" when the bidding war opens, and they're more focused on seeing what shakes out with other options first.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
-Seattle take Holtby
- LTIR Ferland
- If by miracle we trade Eriksson by adding something like the 42nd overall pick with him

Lots of option

In what world does Seattle take Holtby , dude struggles to be a backup

Reactions: Piffle

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know right, seems like the quietest 57 pts in 71 games from the season before.

Blues fans can you chime in on what he does well
Everything for the most part, the question is how much have his injuries that he's accumulated here and there impact his scoring. There is a dramatic difference in our records when he plays and when he doesn't. He had the same weird production issues in our Cup regular season as he did this season, but then scored like crazy in the playoffs. I'm not sure if those are just weird years for him, or if injuries are catching up to his production.

Love him, wish him the best, but warning signs are showing. At the right price, he'll still be a key piece, even if it's not because he's scoring 60+ points.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I guess we will find out tomorrow.

but theres been lots of smoke that Holtby to Seattle is the real deal, its just unknown if Canucks are adding an asset or not.
Imagine picking holtby when you already have Dreager , Price available , Vanacek and the goalie from Minnesota.
Unless they want to flip him , I don't see any reason for them to pick him up.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
-Seattle take Holtby
- LTIR Ferland

Lots of option

Why does Seattle take Holtby though? There are easily 4 or 5 better goalies then him to pick. So there may need to be one hell of a sweetener added there just to start.

Virtanan and Rousell save you 3,766,666 and Ferland saves you 3,500,000 but if you sign Schwartz or Larsson at the low end of 5 million and 4 million you are 2 million short.

You just spent 15 million to keep Pettersson and Hughes. Plus you need to replace even at league minimum the forwards you just bought out. So now you are 3.5 million short

You then Trade Schmidt for picks which is fine you are now a plus 2,450,000 but you still have to sign Dickenson, Joulevi, and a replacement for Schmidt just to give you a 20 man roster.

That looks a lot like last off season where Canucks needed to have 3 or 4 things break perfectly. How well did that work out last year? Do you really think Benning is that capable of pulling that off?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings have taken chances on oft-injured players in the past with good results. See: Justin Williams, Willie Mitchell. He would certainly improve the team.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Byfield - Schwartz
Andersson - Vilardi - Brown

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad