Post-Game Talk: #4 - Jets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/winnipeg-hands-rangers-1st-loss-of-season/#more-153107

I like what AV said about the 4th line:

could he possibly, finally, be accepting the fact that Glass is an atrocity? No, doubtful... BUT, I think Management does realize this, and AV's going to have to stop playing with his ****ing toy

AV knows Glass doesn't bring anything meaningful to the team as far as playing hockey games. Management knows it. Casual fans of hockey know it. It's been beyond obvious and doesn't take anyone that long to come to that conclusion. There's no way on this green earth that the guys hired to run this team DON'T see what everyone else sees. With that said, the other obvious thing is that there's a mountain of behind-the-scenes stuff that keeps Glass not only employed, but playing over other, better hockey players when every conceivable measure of stats/play is pointing to Glass not belonging in the NHL. There's a reason that not a single beat writer has (from my memory at least) ever said anything blatantly against having Glass in the line up, or about him dragging a line down, about moving him, or anything in that vein. They'll talk about trading D. Moore, moving Dan Boyle, moving Klein, etcetc..but Glass "somehow" escapes any negative comments from AV or writers other than "Well the 4th line could have done a little better". Coincidence? Not a chance in hell. Glass is here because if he wasn't, I'd be willing to bet AV would have went somewhere else that would have taken Glass.

What I picture it boiling down to: AV probably gave Sather/Gorton a condition for his hiring, which was bringing in Glass. Just like how Gorton is bringing in a slew of personnel that he's known. Explains why Glass was signed on the first day of free agency to the contract he got. Whole thing probably based on a gentleman's agreement that management won't go back on, even more so now with the success the team has had. If Glass becomes the Rangers' Dan Cleary..:help:

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
AV knows Glass doesn't bring anything meaningful to the team as far as playing hockey games. Management knows it. Casual fans of hockey know it. It's been beyond obvious and doesn't take anyone that long to come to that conclusion. There's no way on this green earth that the guys hired to run this team DON'T see what everyone else sees. With that said, the other obvious thing is that there's a mountain of behind-the-scenes stuff that keeps Glass not only employed, but playing over other, better hockey players when every conceivable measure of stats/play is pointing to Glass not belonging in the NHL. There's a reason that not a single beat writer has (from my memory at least) ever said anything blatantly against having Glass in the line up, or about him dragging a line down, about moving him, or anything in that vein. They'll talk about trading D. Moore, moving Dan Boyle, moving Klein, etcetc..but Glass "somehow" escapes any negative comments from AV or writers other than "Well the 4th line could have done a little better". Coincidence? Not a chance in hell. Glass is here because if he wasn't, I'd be willing to bet AV would have went somewhere else that would have taken Glass.

What I picture it boiling down to: AV probably gave Sather/Gorton a condition for his hiring, which was bringing in Glass. Just like how Gorton is bringing in a slew of personnel that he's known. Explains why Glass was signed on the first day of free agency to the contract he got. Whole thing probably based on a gentleman's agreement that management won't go back on, even more so now with the success the team has had. If Glass becomes the Rangers' Dan Cleary..:help:

That calls for a huge amount of speculation. If true, I have to think AV wouldn't be able to get a job cleaning toilets in an NHL arena, forget about coaching a team.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Its October

Its our 4th game.

3 of which we have won.

learn from it, and become better.

also this is what happens when one of your lines is held hostage by Tanner Glass

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Thought first line was OK. Zucc good, Nash OK (not a $7,8 M player but hey) and Brass mediocre still.
2nd line was bad. Hayes with some brainfarts, Kreider invisible and Stepan just plain bad.
3rd line was OK but did not play mucg due to penalties
Glass is like an infinitely heavy anchor on the 4th line. Guy has not a clue. And he did not in any way deter physical play. Hope he has a couple better games (cuz you know he is gonna play) and will be dealt by the hopefully competent management above AV soon. Log jam up front is going to end somehow... this place will sing Halleluljah the day that happens,

Hank ggod again
Defense --- meh except Yandle

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Nash. 4 GP 0 G 1 A -1 15 Shots

:(

Time to let Zucc have a 3 game stint with Step and Kreids to get them on form. AV said in an interview early this year that he uses him as some sort of line doctor - so get to it.

"Line doctor". Amazing. :laugh:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought Kreider was trying, winning puck battles on the forecheck and what not, but that line just isn't working. Some combo of Kreider/Nash/Hayes/Miller need to be put on different lines. Tanner Glass needs to be put in a different league.

The defense...woof...

Bring back Richards, Del Zotto, Poo, Pearn, whoever to fix the PP

The bright side? It's October and they're winning while looking terrible instead of losing and looking terrible?

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
A couple of interesting points:

PP was trash.
4th line did not play well (esp Glass).
Whoever plays WPG or ANH in the playoffs if they make it, is coming out battered and bruised.
When we play WPG again in Manitoba, we are not getting any PP time like how we received at MSG.
WPG is going to play way harder at home, and they will get away with a lot more physicality.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Kind of dissapointed. The team seemed to want to game just to be done with. I've said it for years and will kepp saying it, physical teams intimidate us. Oh and the Flowerplay is back. Benny Hill theme time?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The best powerplays in the league have games where they go 0/5. Not saying the Rangers have one of those, but to be this upset about it is just an overreaction.

The PP has had almost no in-game chances. Before last night, they were 1/4 over 3 games. People are surprised that they looked out of sync on the powerplay? Cmon.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Glass doesn't deserve the blame for last night's loss, but he's still an abomination out there. AV's decision to sit Fast in favor of Glass for two games in a row is mind numbingly dreadful. When he dresses Glass, it has a psychological effect on the group - almost like telling the team, "Okay boys, tonight's just another regular season game and we don't need our best effort."

Gorton needs to do what Brad Pitt did in Moneyball when he traded the first baseman because his guy wasn't playing at all. Time to trash Glass so it's not possible for AV to insert him into the lineup.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, Kevin Hayes was by far the worst player on the ice last night. Not only am I back to being concerned that his "poise" with the puck is actually indecision/inability to quickly read plays, but now he seems to be prone to losing the puck quickly.

Obviously, I'm not ready to give up on him. He's playing a new position for him at this level, so there's an adjustment to be made. And he's only a 2nd year player. But if he doesn't pick it up, he's going to end up on a "young player needs to fix his game" stint in Hartford.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
A couple of interesting points:

PP was trash.
4th line did not play well (esp Glass).
Whoever plays WPG or ANH in the playoffs if they make it, is coming out battered and bruised.
When we play WPG again in Manitoba, we are not getting any PP time like how we received at MSG.
WPG is going to play way harder at home, and they will get away with a lot more physicality.

WPG was one of the most penalized teams in the NHL last season. If I'm not mistaken, they took the most minors per game out of anyone. I routinely targeted good PP teams facing WPG in daily fantasy and it was quite profitable.

Taking tons of penalties is nothing new for them and it will continue, regardless of where they play.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Oh, all you naive ones that thought Tanner Glass was a sure goner this past summer.... Bwahahahahhaaaaa (evil/sinister laugh).....No way will that ever happen as long as his bromance with AV lasts.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
WPG was one of the most penalized teams in the NHL last season. If I'm not mistaken, they took the most minors per game out of anyone. I routinely targeted good PP teams facing WPG in daily fantasy and it was quite profitable.

Taking tons of penalties is nothing new for them and it will continue, regardless of where they play.

Good call, I did not know that WPG was the most penalized team, considering minor penalties only. Is there anyway we could have a breakdown of their minors? (i.e., roughing, elbowing, cross checking - or are they tripping, hooking calls). I would propose that their style of play would correlate to the earlier of exemplified penalties.

I think Paul Maurice is OK with his team taking contact penalties.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Is AV covering up the whereabouts of Big Foot, the Chupacabra, and the third man on the grassy knoll as well?

I get it. Glass is not a good player in regard to stats or general competence, but the reasons fans offer for Glass being in the line up are bordering on illuminati level now. Perhaps, there may be some reason that is normal that we don't know about, and we've been very successful over that time, so I don't see the issue.

Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jpg

Is that Nessy or Glass?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

The thing is, Glass is what in the NHL is called a goon. And he plays like one. Not better than the average goon, not worse.

You carry a goon for protection. Like an insurance you pay every month. And in the same sense, a long time can go between the times you need that insurance. In many or probably most cases the insurance was a bad idea because you paid more for it than you got out of it.

In this case, its AV and or Gorton's arse on the line if things gets real ugly and someone got hurt and we had one of the softest line-ups in the league on the ice.

To make a long story short, I get any argument for why Glass shouldn't play, probably agrees with it, but OTOH its not hard to understand why he plays. It really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad