Post-Game Talk: #4 - Jets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
AV knows Glass doesn't bring anything meaningful to the team as far as playing hockey games. Management knows it. Casual fans of hockey know it. It's been beyond obvious and doesn't take anyone that long to come to that conclusion. There's no way on this green earth that the guys hired to run this team DON'T see what everyone else sees. With that said, the other obvious thing is that there's a mountain of behind-the-scenes stuff that keeps Glass not only employed, but playing over other, better hockey players when every conceivable measure of stats/play is pointing to Glass not belonging in the NHL. There's a reason that not a single beat writer has (from my memory at least) ever said anything blatantly against having Glass in the line up, or about him dragging a line down, about moving him, or anything in that vein. They'll talk about trading D. Moore, moving Dan Boyle, moving Klein, etcetc..but Glass "somehow" escapes any negative comments from AV or writers other than "Well the 4th line could have done a little better". Coincidence? Not a chance in hell. Glass is here because if he wasn't, I'd be willing to bet AV would have went somewhere else that would have taken Glass.

What I picture it boiling down to: AV probably gave Sather/Gorton a condition for his hiring, which was bringing in Glass. Just like how Gorton is bringing in a slew of personnel that he's known. Explains why Glass was signed on the first day of free agency to the contract he got. Whole thing probably based on a gentleman's agreement that management won't go back on, even more so now with the success the team has had. If Glass becomes the Rangers' Dan Cleary..:help:

I heard that AV shot Kennedy from the grassy knoll.

Glass has the proof.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't watch this game, but I don't like how we are playing so far this season. We are good enough to win a bunch of games without playing well, but in the playoffs, I think we are going to need to be a lot better. Thats a long way away, but I think this team has some personnel problems.

Last edited:

Wolfy*

Captain McDonagh said they were not mentally ready for this game, like it would be a piece of cake after 3 wins. Lesson learned, but isn't this part of his job?

AV said he wouldn't comment on that because it's a matter between the captain and his players.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
scoring.

this team is gonna struggle to score many nights.

the pp was bad. again. if that continues, we will be exposed.

the pp needs to be lethal for us to be one of the top teams in the league.

give me a pp in the top 10, and were very tough to beat.

give me an 0 for 3 pp every night, and were gonna lose alot of close games.

we lack finishers. we have alot of guys who are big and fast and who really aren't goal scorers.

nash still play for us ? 1 point in 4 games so far. nice. guy makes a bazillion dollars per year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I must've slept through the team scoring 3, 4, and 5 goals in the previous three games.

Remember when we had Asham, Fedotenko, Christensen, Anisimov, Mitchell...? We couldn't buy a goal back then. I don't get his comment either. We scored 1 goal last night. It happens. We were the top scoring team last season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
scoring.

this team is gonna struggle to score many nights.

the pp was bad. again. if that continues, we will be exposed.

the pp needs to be lethal for us to be one of the top teams in the league.

give me a pp in the top 10, and were very tough to beat.

give me an 0 for 3 pp every night, and were gonna lose alot of close games.

we lack finishers. we have alot of guys who are big and fast and who really aren't goal scorers.

nash still play for us ? 1 point in 4 games so far. nice. guy makes a bazillion dollars per year.

lol

this team was a top 10 scorer last season...werent we like top 5 or something actually?

before last night we were averaging 4 goals a game.

but yeah...scoring. on a night where we put up 40+ shots on goal....scoring is our problem.

if youre getting 40+ shots regularly, youre going to win a ton of games...sure, every once in a while a goalie will rob one or 2 for the opposition...but by and large? not so much.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah I don't see how ES scoring is an issue. We were 2nd in ES GF last year and we're off to a great start this year. The PP is certainly a problem, but it was well below average last year and it didn't expose anything. We were the best team in the NHL last year.

That being said, the PP needs to be improved, but I don't think it's as simple as adding a shooter. It's really a problem with slow puck movement, and lack of player movement. Guys simply aren't generating passing lanes.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
lol

this team was a top 10 scorer last season...werent we like top 5 or something actually?

before last night we were averaging 4 goals a game.

but yeah...scoring. on a night where we put up 40+ shots on goal....scoring is our problem.

if youre getting 40+ shots regularly, youre going to win a ton of games...sure, every once in a while a goalie will rob one or 2 for the opposition...but by and large? not so much.

We were the third best scoring team last season behind Tampa and Dallas. Scoring goals isn't an issue for them.

But holy christ, idk what the hell Arniel practices with them on the powerplay. He said that they focus on quick passing/shooting, but every time they're on the ice, they generate the same exact looks every single time. The puck is always kept to the right side in a constant game of catch between Yandle and Zucc. Albeit, they're moving a little bit so it actually looks like they've cycled the puck, but all they've managed to do is hold possession to the outside.

I said it in the gameday thread, they need to stretch out the PK and generate motion through the slot. They don't move any bodies or the puck across the seam, which allows the PK to sit back in their little box and basically make a giant shield around the net. Go rewatch Little's second goal from last night, and what how quickly they're moving the puck. They make it seem as if they're dangerous from any spot on the ice. It's not like we don't have the personnel to run this style of powerplay. They just need to be willing to shoot the puck.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Watched the game in a bar so it was hard to tell what was what with who but it looked liked we didn't create very much.

I wonder what it's like to have a decent PP?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Watched the game in a bar so it was hard to tell what was what with who but it looked liked we didn't create very much.

I wonder what it's like to have a decent PP?
Ask the Bruins. :clittle:

It's too early in the season to worry about special teams IMO. We're 1/9 as of now; if they go 1/1 next game, the percentage doubles to 20%

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
But what if they go 2 for 2?
vVIrs.jpg

You get the point.

Wolfy*

i hate the Nash-Brass-Zucc line because nash is so streaky and only scores off the rush...

i want miller on that line

I'd prefer Kreider up there with Zuke and Brass. Need some size on that line, and it should get Kreider going. Sorry, but he's been useless on the Stepan line.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
We were the third best scoring team last season behind Tampa and Dallas. Scoring goals isn't an issue for them.

But holy christ, idk what the hell Arniel practices with them on the powerplay. He said that they focus on quick passing/shooting, but every time they're on the ice, they generate the same exact looks every single time. The puck is always kept to the right side in a constant game of catch between Yandle and Zucc. Albeit, they're moving a little bit so it actually looks like they've cycled the puck, but all they've managed to do is hold possession to the outside.

I said it in the gameday thread, they need to stretch out the PK and generate motion through the slot. They don't move any bodies or the puck across the seam, which allows the PK to sit back in their little box and basically make a giant shield around the net. Go rewatch Little's second goal from last night, and what how quickly they're moving the puck. They make it seem as if they're dangerous from any spot on the ice. It's not like we don't have the personnel to run this style of powerplay. They just need to be willing to shoot the puck.

The thing is, when the powerplay clicks, it REALLY clicks. We've seen them be downright dominant at times. It's more of a matter of consistency. I do think that that's a coaching issue.

Haha got me on a technicality.

;)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Someone needs to tell Kreider he needs to play North-South. He has a tendancy lately to not use his speed, instead opting to slow down with the puck and try and double back and force a pass. He's so fast he can literally just take the puck like it's a video game and at the very least enter the offensive zone with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad