4-7: Botterill Presser Live

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I can't wait for him to trade for more complete crap from other teams as his history has shown. Really looking forward to it.

He knows its his last offseason if things dont change, he got Roch done, now lets see what he does now

Will he gut it (Okposo, Scandella, Girgensons, Ristolainen) or just tinker

His first agenda is Skinner, f*** that up and the fans are gonna be on him next

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The ”Skinner wouldn’t happen without ROR trade” statement is such a joke.
Skinner had a one year deal and we added 5.25 in the Pittsburgh trade, how about just skipping the Pittsburgh deal? Berglund had an expensive long term deal as well.
I get this reaction but I said this at the time. Botts viewed moving out ROR as freeing up space now and going forward for acquisitions.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I can't wait for him to trade for more complete crap from other teams as his history has shown. Really looking forward to it.

That’s the part I’m iffy about here.

What he said, I couldn’t care less. It’s generic GM mumbo-jumbo.

But the moves he does make to help improve the team. That’s the part where I’m. Crossing all of my fingers and toes at.

Considering what the ROR return was, I shudder to think about the possible Risto return.

Granted, Skinner was a good move. Montour was a good move. So hopefully the ROR one is the exception and not the norm.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Skinner had a one year deal and we added 5.25 in the Pittsburgh trade, how about just skipping the Pittsburgh deal? Berglund had an expensive long term deal as well.

Going off memory, Sheary still fits without Hunwick, even if both ROR and Skinner are in Buffalo since Sobotka/Berglund/Thompson wouldn't have been on the payroll and they ended with $2.8M in available cap space.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

We actually saved close to no cap in the ROR trade before Berglund left

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Some questions I’d like to ask:
None of your free agent signings during year one are playing in the NHL right now, how do you feel about your ability to identify cheap NHL talent?
Actually of all your year one deals (trades included) only O’Reagan and Scandella will be left on the team.

Follow up: all of your added NHL players during the summer that are still on the team have none or negative value - what does that tell you about your ability to add value to the team?

What would you offer for Sobotka, Sheary or Hunwick right now?

Reactions: sabremike

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Which is troublesome that instead of finding a scorer in a sweatheart deal like Skinner -- who wanted to be close to home and kept the value down for what he provided -- could have been had at the time prior to "having" to make the O'Reilly deal. Bring in Skinner, don't make in the Hunwick deal and they all fit.

Exactly. The Skinner angle as a defense of the ROR trade is just shows another angle of awfulness in Botts thought process

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A year in which a team has rookies playing key roles is a transition year man. I'm not going to continue to argue with you about it, as its just a waste of both of our time. Going into this year this team was always at best a fringe wildcard team, and they were well in the playoff race into March. In my eyes that is an improvement compared to the previous few seasons.

When you strip a team completely down in order to get high draft picks and sign below average players to huuge contracts, you are going to suffer for a while. I think next season will be a huge improvement. Botteril has proven to be good at acquiring talent (Skinner, Montour, and Scandella trades, Pilut signing, and what's looking to be an excellent 2017 draft) and his only gaffe so far was the ROR trade, a trade in which I think he had his decision made up for him by ownership.

If this team continues to struggle next season then I think Botts absolutely should get canned. But at this time I don't see how another GM firing helps this team.

We will agree to disagree. I don't see young players in key roles (look at PK and PP use). I don't see consistent development accountability. I don't see young players getting trial by fire or on the job training - I see bad vets, many of whom the GM acquired grinding out the same mistakes in crucial circumstances over and over again. That isn't even a transition year. We don't know what some of these guys could actually do. And that's the same thing that Bylsma was crushed for when he was shown the door.

Botterill has one win as a trade/signing in 2 years at forward: Skinner. The rest of his roster building moves have been suspect. They still need to get better up front and some of that has to be in trade. And Botterill has to make that happen. So far, he's not done that.

Some questions I’d like to ask:
None of your free agent signings during year one are playing in the NHL right now, how do you feel about your ability to identify cheap NHL talent?
Actually of all your year one deals (trades included) only O’Reagan and Scandella will be left on the team.

Follow up: all of your added NHL players during the summer that are still on the team have none or negative value - what does that tell you about your ability to add value to the team?

What would you offer for Sobotka, Sheary or Hunwick right now?

Heh, you would probably never been given the mic again, but I like the bend of your jib.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Just catching up, maybe I missed it, but did he mention at any point what his expectations are next year? Is making the playoffs something he’s striving for? Anything about standards for the team? What changed Feb 20 when the team was on a steady decline in play and standings to today?

Reactions: Daz28 and sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don’t pretend to know what it takes to run a NHL franchise, and I don’t think the arm chair GMs here should either.

It’s great to have an opinion, but stop acting like you know all the facts.
Years back there was a Leafs fansite that did an article asking who would be a better GM: Dave Nonnis or a baked potato? This applies here.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
A year in which a team has rookies playing key roles is a transition year man. I'm not going to continue to argue with you about it, as its just a waste of both of our time. Going into this year this team was always at best a fringe wildcard team, and they were well in the playoff race into March. In my eyes that is an improvement compared to the previous few seasons.

When you strip a team completely down in order to get high draft picks and sign below average players to huuge contracts, you are going to suffer for a while. I think next season will be a huge improvement. Botteril has proven to be good at acquiring talent (Skinner, Montour, and Scandella trades, Pilut signing, and what's looking to be an excellent 2017 draft) and his only gaffe so far was the ROR trade, a trade in which I think he had his decision made up for him by ownership.

If this team continues to struggle next season then I think Botts absolutely should get canned. But at this time I don't see how another GM firing helps this team.

Under this ownership, I fear it probably doesnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad