4-7: Botterill Presser Live

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think people are freaking out a bit too much here. The same way they did when everyone was convinced Botts was keeping Housley because he said he had confidence on the coaching a few weeks ago.

Of course his responses are canned. Did anyone expect him to come in and say "I messed up the ROR thing badly, Sobo is trash and doesn't belong in the NHL, Tage is trash and shoulda been in the AHL, and both our goaltenders suck". He came out, took responsibility by saying he didn't get the players and made it adamant the firing was his decision alone. That's about all the useful information that can be gleaned until we see what he does this summer.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The positive:
- He acknowledged lack of depth scoring first, without having to be prompted
- Also acknowledged defensive breakdowns

The negative:
- Wouldn't admit they botched Thompson
- Answer about ROR trade
- Just rewatched end and answer about Risto. Gross. Hopefully he's just trying to pump Risto up for a trade.

I'd bet my car that this is the case.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
1) Looks like he gave Housley the benefit of the doubt until the end. What a good GM should realistically do. Decision was basically made in March it seems. New candidates will appreciate this.

2) Made it clear that having both a successful Amerks and Buffalo club is important. Took blame on Tage not becoming what he wanted. Made it clear ROR trade isn’t done yet (truth!). Also made it clear RORs cap space is what made Skinner possible- for those who doubted it still

3) Has a plan and it’s a balance of now and future. I like it!

4) Didn’t speak much of Ristolainen except when asked. Feels like he might be gone. He also spoke more about Reinhart unprovoked than he has in the past— I feel less strong about Reinhart being traded now. He wasn’t including him in his ‘core youth’ examples before but is now.

5) He made absolutely no mention of any of the veterans. Eek.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
His answer about Risto today was more flattering than things he's said about Risto before, which suggests to me that he's posturing. I think trading Risto is his first move this offseason

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
So head says we need to get back where we were in the first 25 games and ignores that their performance didn't match the advanced stats and that they would fall dramatically barely maintaining a .500 gf/ga.
We need people in charge who can look at all facets of the game even down to the numbers. Player usage was awful this year and not being able to change and adapt their system to the competition around them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad