GDT: 4/7/18 - New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: The Last Supper Edition. RIP 2017-18 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Just don't understand what there is to be excited about right now.

This sucks. This has sucked for 7 months.
Hey, I get that. I've actually managed to enjoy a lot of the recent games by focusing on Chytil, Andersson, and Pionk, but I knew this one would be no fun at all, so I turned it off after the first goal.

But the organization is doing what they should be doing. After raiding the future year after year after year, between last year's draft and the returns in the TDL trades, they've amassed what amounts to IMO their best farm in at least half a decade – and they're about to add to it with 8 picks in the top 100 of one of the best drafts in recent memory. They're doing the right thing and are looking to be starting the process off correctly.

The fact that the results aren't guaranteed isn't a reason not to pursue the path they're on. The preponderance of the evidence shows that it is by far the best, if not only, way to build a contender. If, at the end of the day, they fall short, it's because only one of 31 teams can win every year. And if that happens, you rebuild again (or preferably, continue to develop a continuous stream of good kids by not continually dealing away your future), build a new core, and try again.

Reactions: trilobyte

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If they're such an awfully coached team then why didn't we try changing that before we destroyed the roster?
Because those moves were made to cash in assets for expiring contracts and to get value at its peak to avoid committing long-term contracts to players we didn't want to tie up $10M+ to over the next two years. Gorton bit the bullet rather than trying to give AV another kick at the can. AV wanted it. Dolan/Gorton said no. We had a barren farm system with no one to add outside of Chytil and Lias. Now we have seven picks within the first 100 of a loaded draft.

You know I've wanted AV fired for over three years now.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Also we have something other franchises don't ... a place people WANT to play and money. Not saying this rebuild will all be 18 year old rookies, but other FA's, college kids, etc will look at this team a lot differently than the Panthers.

I still shudder when I reflect on the first pairing of JBo - Biron and a first line of Huselius - Olli Jokinen - Marcus Nilson. Yikes.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We've set ourselves up to fail even if the rebuild works. We're at least 4 seasons from fixing this defense.

McDonagh with a new a coach and it's fixed overnight.

If we rely solely on prospects to fix the D then yes but who says we won't grab two guys in FA in the next two offseasons? It doesn't have to become a top 10 D, it just has to be something other than bottom tier, abysmally coached garbage. It can very reasonably be expected to fix that in the next two years

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because those moves were made to cash in assets for expiring contracts and to get value at its peak to avoid committing long-term contracts to players we didn't want to tie up $10M+ to over the next two years. Gorton bit the bullet rather than trying to give AV another kick at the can. AV wanted it. Dolan/Gorton said no. We had a barren farm system with no one to add outside of Chytil and Lias. Now we have seven picks within the first 100 of a loaded draft.

You know I've wanted AV fired for over three years now.

Tying up big money in McDonagh would have been a tragedy but this defense for the next 3-4 years isn't a tragedy?

And the return f***ing sucked. Awful lot of trust in Gorton.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
giphy.gif

This last game............

We should've tanked better

Reactions: Miamipuck and Tob

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we rely solely on prospects to fix the D then yes but who says we won't grab two guys in FA in the next two offseasons? It doesn't have to become a top 10 D, it just has to be something other than bottom tier, abysmally coached garbage. It can very reasonably be expected to fix that in the next two years
Nobody will want the free agents because they hurt draft status.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
At least this feels 10X better than the other season ending game #82 in Philly.

Reactions: bl02

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If they're such an awfully coached team then why didn't we try changing that before we destroyed the roster?

Roster needed to be destroyed.

New coach was not going to make the franchise healthy again. Top to bottom

We just had a trade deadline for the ages as far as the Rangers go and our system is STILL unhealthy.

At some point after going for it year after year, you have to right the ship and a new HC doesn't do that.

A reset was needed. That's what we are seeing.

I'd be surprised if AV is HC tomorrow

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Roster needed to be destroyed.

New coach was not going to make the franchise healthy again. Top to bottom

We just had a trade deadline for the ages as far as the Rangers go and our system is STILL unhealthy.

At some point after going for it year after year, you have to right the ship and a new HC doesn't do that.

A reset was needed. That's what we are seeing.

I'd be surprised if AV is HC tomorrow
It was a solid deadline.

"Deadline for the ages" is absurd hyperbole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad