GDT: 4/7/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
280 characters forced me to write why this loss was as damaging as it was so I'll just copy it here.

Boston is better than us. They would probably beat us. The best road forward would've involved both home ice and a tough 1st round for them.

But they're getting the Devils. They're gonna pummel them. So now the B's lie in the way...AND will have home ice too.

That's the only way to sum it up. We might've been able to avoid them; surely would've had four potential home games. Now NEITHER will happen (unless Toronto knocks us out first). That's the devastating part of this setback as much as anything else.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
This moncho BS about you have to beat the best, Yada Yada Yada is insane. You want the best matchup possible round one. Survive and advance. We would wax NJ IMO. Toronto will be a dogfight and it will take things out of this team.

There is a decent chance we will regret tonight when trying to dig deep vs Boston.
I'm not saying matchups don't make it easier or harder but if you're counting on other teams to do this and that, you're on weak ice. Only thing you can control is beating the team you're facing. If you can't beat them, you're just not good enough. End of story.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
That's the way the NHL works. Every single year. Try not to be so melodramatic.
True, I’m simply suggesting tonight’s loss makes it incrementally less likely the Lightning make a deep run short of a Panther miracle tomorrow

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
280 characters forced me to write why this loss was as damaging as it was so I'll just copy it here.

Boston is better than us. They would probably beat us. The best road forward would've involved both home ice and a tough 1st round for them.

But they're getting the Devils. They're gonna pummel them. So now the B's lie in the way...AND will have home ice too.

That's the only way to sum it up. We might've been able to avoid them; surely would've had four potential home games. Now NEITHER will happen (unless Toronto knocks us out first). That's the devastating part of this setback as much as anything else.
Well stated

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I'm not saying matchups don't make it easier or harder but if you're counting on other teams to do this and that, you're on weak ice. Only thing you can control is beating the team you're facing. If you can't beat them, you're just not good enough. End of story.
Hence why this loss sucks

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
This moncho BS about you have to beat the best, Yada Yada Yada is insane. You want the best matchup possible round one. Survive and advance. We would wax NJ IMO. Toronto will be a dogfight and it will take things out of this team.

There is a decent chance we will regret tonight when trying to dig deep vs Boston.

You know, we won the Cup in 2004. No effin' apologies for that.

What we don't always acknowledge is we beat a #8 seed, a #7, and a #6. Philly was the highest seed we faced. No Avs or Wings when they could still build veritable All-Star team rosters. Didn't have to face Ottawa either who totally owned us back then. We 100% caught breaks that year.

We were also a #1 seed. You earn those breaks with your seeding. A nice lesson to remember after what happened tonight.

EDIT - also, given how much some people fear NJ based on the reg season...

In 2004, the Islanders were 3-1 against us. We beat them in five games. Big whoop.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

Well one might counter argue, that focusing purely on us, we played the Leafs much better then we played the Devils this year. Chances are we face the Bruins anyway, so would playing a team we've had more success against be a bad thing?

Just playing devils advocate, I still want to win the divison. It's an argument though

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I was frustrated with the loss but there are 2 good take awayx at least... kind of. Battling back to get a point is the first. Second is there won’t be any more 3 on 3 OTs to worry about blowing for a while.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I was frustrated with the loss but there are 2 good take always at least... kind of. Battling back to get a point is the first. Second is there won’t be any more 3 on 3 OTs to worry about blowing for a while.
Generally I think the Lightning are in good shape 3v3. Not tonight

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was frustrated with the loss but there are 2 good take always at least... kind of. Battling back to get a point is the first. Second is there won’t be any more 3 on 3 OTs to worry about blowing for a while.

Like i said before, tonight and these last few games showed that they can throw 4 lines at the opponents that can all score. Tampa did not have that the last few years and still made it to the ECF twice, and SCF. It’s really up to the D to make the difference since scoring goals is not an issue for this team, and hoping the D pairings will be sorted out by game 1.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Well one might counter argue, that focusing purely on us, we played the Leafs much better then we played the Devils this year. Chances are we face the Bruins anyway, so would playing a team we've had more success against be a bad thing?

Just playing devils advocate, I still want to win the divison. It's an argument though

But, I mean, did we really? A 2-0 win, a 4-3 loss, a 3-3 game decided in a shootout, and a 4-3 win. Toronto had two three-goal leads against us that we came back from both times, once to win and once to lose anyway, and Auston Matthews was out for three of those four games (only game he played, Toronto won). What I see is a season series aggregate of 12-10 in the Lightning's favor, which is not really big enough to draw any concrete "Lightning > Leafs" conclusions. Frankly, I'd be of the belief that Toronto won't be blowing three-goal leads so easily again. Babcock is also now going to be getting to gameplan exclusively the Lightning, and we saw what he did with a decrepit Red Wings team in 2015 against a Lightning team that, in my opinion, was better than this one (I felt the '15 Lightning were the East favorites and said so at the time).

Tampa can beat Toronto. But I'd expect a 7-game series which won't help us if we advance to face Boston who will probably come in off a 5-game series win themselves. And, again, now Boston would get home-ice as well instead of us, and we all know just how awful this team is in Boston historically.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Like i said before, tonight and these last few games showed that they can throw 4 lines at the opponents that can all score. Tampa did not have that the last few years and still made it to the ECF twice, and SCF. It’s really up to the D to make the difference since scoring goals is not an issue for this team, and hoping the D pairings will be sorted out by game 1.
Vasy and our defense have to be better for sure you are correct we are deep at scoring on 4 lines way more then in 2015 and 2016

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You know, we won the Cup in 2004. No effin' apologies for that.

What we don't always acknowledge is we beat a #8 seed, a #7, and a #6. Philly was the highest seed we faced. No Avs or Wings when they could still build veritable All-Star team rosters. Didn't have to face Ottawa either who totally owned us back then. We 100% caught breaks that year.

We were also a #1 seed. You earn those breaks with your seeding. A nice lesson to remember after what happened tonight.

EDIT - also, given how much some people fear NJ based on the reg season...

In 2004, the Islanders were 3-1 against us. We beat them in five games. Big whoop.
Another example was in 2011 the capitals sweep us during the regular season and in round two we swept them out 4-0

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vasy and our defense have to be better for sure you are correct we are deep at scoring on 4 lines way more then in 2015 and 2016

If the D and Vasy are giving up goals left and right will kinda negate that. But think Vasy and the D will be fine, So much experience with this D core. So I am hopeful.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
But, I mean, did we really? A 2-0 win, a 4-3 loss, a 3-3 game decided in a shootout, and a 4-3 win. Toronto had two three-goal leads against us that we came back from both times, once to win and once to lose anyway, and Auston Matthews was out for three of those four games (only game he played, Toronto won). What I see is a season series aggregate of 12-10 in the Lightning's favor, which is not really big enough to draw any concrete "Lightning > Leafs" conclusions. Frankly, I'd be of the belief that Toronto won't be blowing three-goal leads so easily again. Babcock is also now going to be getting to gameplan exclusively the Lightning, and we saw what he did with a decrepit Red Wings team in 2015 against a Lightning team that, in my opinion, was better than this one (I felt the '15 Lightning were the East favorites and said so at the time).

Tampa can beat Toronto. But I'd expect a 7-game series which won't help us if we advance to face Boston who will probably come in off a 5-game series win themselves. And, again, now Boston would get home-ice as well instead of us, and we all know just how awful this team is in Boston historically.
"Game one" at Toronto --> Bolts won 2-0.
"Game two" at Toronto --> Leafs won 4-3, but Tampa missed tons of scoring chances (in particular with Johnny).
"Game three" at Tampa --> Bolts won 4-3 SO
"Game four" at Tampa --> Bolts won 4-3

We're 3-1-0 against Leafs this year, with the only one we lost...we did it wasting lots of chances...
I agree with you: we can draw any concrete Bolts > Leafs.
The real is that Bolts >> Leafs.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Another example was in 2011 the capitals sweep us during the regular season and in round two we swept them out 4-0

Well, not quite. They went 3-2 on us with a shootout win mixed in as well. 2-1 in Washington, 1-1-1 in Tampa. And, factoring out empty net goals, the Lightning won the first three games by one goal each. Lightning benefited from some luck (MSL goal in Game 2 right off Mike Green's skate on a pass, for example) but no apologies because sometimes you benefit from luck and that's the difference when margins are tight. But the Caps didn't overwhelm the Lightning that regular season as much as they usually have.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Let's just hope that Vasy enters into God mode after this long break. He needed the rest and now has time to ice it up and reset.

A disappointing finish, but now comes the heavy lifting. GO BOLTS!:bolts

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto core - won the whole 2 PO games out of 6
Tampa core - won 5 PO series out of 7

I am really scared to play vs Toronto. Yeah, really.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We were in the Final in 2015, our second playoff year with this core. I find the bolded statement awfully dismissive without merit.

And that core also got veterans from the previous year's Stanley Cup Final when a fellow playoff veteran (to that point) in Callahan was joined by his buddies Stralman and Boyle. We then completed a trade for another Cup run vet in Coburn. We were also backed by a Vezina caliber goaltender. All of them in the prime of their career and experienced. Yzerman literally and figuratively built a championship team over night. We win the Cup if we stay healthy probably both times in 2015 and 2016.

The Leafs have Patrick Marleau and Ron Hainsey. The premise of my statement was that the Leafs are young and still have to learn how to win. Our guys were in their prime and the backbone of our team. Apples to oranges.

Toronto is talented but they do not share our luck in being given a sudden backbone of a contender

Last edited:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
"Game one" at Toronto --> Bolts won 2-0.
"Game two" at Toronto --> Leafs won 4-3, but Tampa missed tons of scoring chances (in particular with Johnny).
"Game three" at Tampa --> Bolts won 4-3 SO
"Game four" at Tampa --> Bolts won 4-3

We're 3-1-0 against Leafs this year, with the only one we lost...we did it wasting lots of chances...
I agree with you: we can draw any concrete Bolts > Leafs.
The real is that Bolts >> Leafs.

These are often two way streets though. That game was in February, two months ago now. Easy enough to remember missed chances on our end, but I'm sure Toronto let some chances go as well. And wasting chances can happen again in the playoffs too.

Also, again, Matthews is their best player and he only played one game against us. Them having their 40-goal scoring #1C is a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad