GDT: 4/7/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Can we just stop with the "deck stacked against us" ref talk? It's just so much bs. I know it pisses everyone off and just opens me up for derision and criticism, but I have refereed (and supervised officials) at almost every level including ECHL, NCAA D1, World Junior, even some Lightning pre-season and intersquad stuff and more and I like to think that if I hadn't started officiating so late in life I might have made it to the NHL. I'm not involved anymore but I've been around it enough and up close and the kind of institutional bias stuff your talking about JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Can we just stop with the "deck stacked against us" ref talk? It's just so much bs. I know it pisses everyone off and just opens me up for derision and criticism, but I have refereed (and supervised officials) at almost every level including ECHL, NCAA D1, World Junior, even some Lightning pre-season and intersquad stuff and more and I like to think that if I hadn't started officiating so late in life I might have made it to the NHL. I'm not involved anymore but I've been around it enough and up close and the kind of institutional bias stuff your talking about JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN.
I didn't quote it to say that we are the only one always victimized by the bad officiating though. Just found it funny that the player says it.

Sure, most of the time it goes both ways but the bad officiating does exist in this league. And I understand there are good refs, too, but they are far less noticeable.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
I didn't quote it to say that we are the only one always victimized by the bad officiating though. Just found it funny that the player says it.

Sure, most of the time it goes both ways but the bad officiating does exist in this league. And I understand there are good refs, too, but they are far less noticeable.

No, of course I understand that bad officiating occurs, in the NHL and everywhere else. And assignments are not always as merit based as the league would have you believe, that is all true. But my only point is that there is no systematic bias against any one team or group of teams. And I will admit, would the NHL love an LA vs Toronto final for example, of course it would. Would they do anything on the ice or in the situation room to make that happen? No way.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
didn't know even the players think this way...:popcorn:#ref gonna ref

Tampa has to be on the top of the list this season for disallowed/overturned goals not going in their favor. Killorn just saying the truth here really. Other fans will just say Tampa is just complaining, well honestly they have a legit reason to complain.

Reactions: twenty5psi

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Tampa has to be on the top of the list this season for disallowed/overturned goals not going in their favor. Killorn just saying the truth here really. Other fans will just say Tampa is just complaining, well honestly they have a legit reason to complain.
As CupsOverCash has said, this attiude would work. They can't sit here and complain like fans do they just gotta play.(w/ discipline, plz!)

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
No, of course I understand that bad officiating occurs, in the NHL and everywhere else. And assignments are not always as merit based as the league would have you believe, that is all true. But my only point is that there is no systematic bias against any one team or group of teams. And I will admit, would the NHL love an LA vs Toronto final for example, of course it would. Would they do anything on the ice or in the situation room to make that happen? No way.
There's always room for conspiracy theory in this universe!

Reactions: Matt Watson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm sure Killorn threw that out there knowing they might face Toronto. The situation room is in Toronto. If you don't start questioning the possibility of some collusion early you'll get no calls. I'm sure it'll put pressure on the refs to try to keep it called tight as the microscope will be on them especially when one team has been questioning their decisions all year. I don't think it's going to help us one bit but it doesn't hurt us either.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
I'm sure Killorn threw that out there knowing they might face Toronto. The situation room is in Toronto. If you don't start questioning the possibility of some collusion early you'll get no calls. I'm sure it'll put pressure on the refs to try to keep it called tight as the microscope will be on them especially when one team has been questioning their decisions all year. I don't think it's going to help us one bit but it doesn't hurt us either.
Just because the SR is in Toronto doesn't mean that the people in it are from Toronto. It could be in Ybor City. Wouldn't matter.

Coburn and Condra

May 13, 2016
Iowa
Disappointing night last night. Couple things to consider however:

1. As we know, 3-1 vs Toronto, 0-3 vs NJ this season, and honestly if we had won last night, I personally would have been a little bummed that it ended up being NJ over Philly, albeit not near the disappointment of losing the Atlantic altogether...

2. This team plays well on the road and I think they're prepared to handle the post-effects of a grueling series better than most teams. Case in point, the Cup run 3 years ago... 7 gamer vs Wings, 6 against MTL without home ice, 7 vs NYR without home ice.

3. Overall, I still don't think Boston is better than us. Better since January? Definitely. But they've shown signs of wear lately and it wouldn't surprise me if (assuming they beat FLA today) NJ takes them to 6 games. I still think they peaked at the wrong time and I am NOT afraid of a G7 at The Garden.

It will be okay guys. Go Bolts!!!

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Considering that there is no love loss between the cats and us, I can see them shutting down the game early and not getting hurt so Mondays golf game is not interfered with.
I would agree with that if the team they were playing was anyone but Boston. I think they want to beat them and ruin their chance at winning the division. At least thats what i'm hoping for.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
How many goals did Chicago get called back against LA the year the NHL got their LA vs NY final? Wasn't it two or so? Wasn't one in overtime, or one that would have sent one of those games to overtime? How convenient. Don't get me wrong the Kings were a Cup-caliber team. But so was Chicago, and to my eye they got shafted in that series.

NHL officiating is frequently bad to the point of being questionable. You can thumb your nose at conspiracy theories all you want, but in my experience people love money way more than they love integrity or fairplay or whatever other niceties us die-hards cherish. But whatever, I get not wanting to think that way, I do.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Coop was a little more diplomatic than Killorn, but he made the way he felt about the GI call pretty clear after the game, too. This isn't the first time, either. They were saying the same thing after the 4-2 Boston loss. They've been getting screwed, and they're clearly fed up with it.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
How many goals did Chicago get called back against LA the year the NHL got their LA vs NY final? Wasn't it two or so? Wasn't one in overtime, or one that would have sent one of those games to overtime? How convenient. Don't get me wrong the Kings were a Cup-caliber team. But so was Chicago, and to my eye they got shafted in that series.

NHL officiating is frequently bad to the point of being questionable. You can thumb your nose at conspiracy theories all you want, but in my experience people love money way more than they love integrity or fairplay or whatever other niceties us die-hards cherish. But whatever, I get not wanting to think that way, I do.
I've worked too closely with a lot the guys to give it any credence whatsoever. It would require a type of collusion that would be extremely difficult to pull off. I used to do games with some current NHL referees, Justin St. Pierre and Brad Meier specifically (I am about 15 years older than both of them I think so they made it and I didn't) , and we used to talk about what we did, how we did it, what influenced us, what we saw, what we missed and on and on. It is a very self critical job and people know when they screw up and they usually feel like sh*t about it but you can't dwell on it or you won't last a season. But in all my years on the ice, I have never caught a whiff of the kind of conspiracy stuff you are getting at. Would guys get pissed off and maybe not give a guy a break, maybe, but even that is very, very rare. The point is that the game of hockey at the highest levels is played at such speed that unless you have done it, that is, try to officiate it, you cannot really grasp how much sh*t is going on out there. Trying to make the call on the stuff that matters vs the stuff that doesn't is tough. I mean, we live in a 10 or more camera angles, replay age where every last thing can be examined in super slo mo and high definition and sometimes even with that, it is hard to know what the right call is. Just look at goalie interference. So if it's hard to make the right call after the fact with all of that, imagine what it is like at regular speed on the ice. Anyway, can I tell you with 100%, metaphysical certainty that what you suggest is impossible? No, I can't. But my experience tells me there is just no way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->