GDT: 4/21/16 - 7:00PM EDT - #3 Detroit VS #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Wings fan coming in this peace with some final thoughts before I fully allow myself into the dark depression that is the HF Wings Off-season forum.

Despite it being over in five, quite a few of these games were very close that could've went either way. The real difference was Detroit's stars disappeared (though at this point they're no longer really stars) and Tampa Bay's stars came to play, particularly Kucherov. Really can't say enough good things about Kucherov, his line was just too much for a team like Detroit without any top pairing dmen to handle.

The other guy who really impressed me in this series was Bishop. Last year he was a bit shaky and allowed some goals at the worst of times, but still pulled off the job. This year he was an absolute rock. I think it's fair to say the Wings skaters' outplayed Tampa's tonight, but Bishop was the real difference. Hard to blame Mrazek when the offense continuously gives no support, but he was outplayed by Bishop tonight.

Stamkos being gone made no difference from last year in my opinion. He was invisible last year and out this year obviously. The injuries are definitely still hurting Tampa though from what I saw, Johnson looks like a shell of what he was last year, and Palat didn't seem as on his game as last year either. I think injuries are definitely hurting Johnson, and potentially Palat too. Last year it was the triplets, this year it was more like the Kucherov show.

Your guys defense also looked a bit worse this. Just not as sharp or quick as I remember it being. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the loss of Stralman. Really underrated guy back there for sure. Hopefully the defense can get back to full strength for the next series though. Is Stralman out the whole playoffs?

As much as I hate TB right now after what turned out to be a pretty chippy gritty series, I'd still rather see them go far again rather than the Pens or Islanders/Panthers. Best of luck to you guys in your next series against New York/Florida. It's going to be hard with the injuries, but I still think they can pull it off considering they can play a lot better still and they'll be facing in my opinion one of weakest playoff teams again next round.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I don't see us winning in the second round unless our skaters get more consistent. Bishop can't be a deity every damned game, guys. Help him out, and that doesn't mean to play 1 complete game per series.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
So Johnson left, came back and played, left again, then came back to bench. Did he get on the ice after he came back the second time?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We really got bailed out by Bish tonight. What a performance.

Really bittersweet winfor me tonight, my grandfather would have been watching this one with me, but he passed away yesterday. He wasn't a Lightning fan but he woulda been cheering on with me.

D2B, how bout that pass eh?
Sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.
I think he was on the 3rd line with Vladdy. Could be wrong though.
The lines in the 3rd period were

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Paquette-Boyle-Drouin
Condra-Namestnikov-Blunden

did his minutes get cut?

Played 17:27

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Wings fan coming in this peace with some final thoughts before I fully allow myself into the dark depression that is the HF Wings Off-season forum.

Despite it being over in five, quite a few of these games were very close that could've went either way. The real difference was Detroit's stars disappeared (though at this point they're no longer really stars) and Tampa Bay's stars came to play, particularly Kucherov. Really can't say enough good things about Kucherov, his line was just too much for a team like Detroit without any top pairing dmen to handle.

The other guy who really impressed me in this series was Bishop. Last year he was a bit shaky and allowed some goals at the worst of times, but still pulled off the job. This year he was an absolute rock. I think it's fair to say the Wings skaters' outplayed Tampa's tonight, but Bishop was the real difference. Hard to blame Mrazek when the offense continuously gives no support, but he was outplayed by Bishop tonight.

Stamkos being gone made no difference from last year in my opinion. He was invisible last year and out this year obviously. The injuries are definitely still hurting Tampa though from what I saw, Johnson looks like a shell of what he was last year, and Palat didn't seem as on his game as last year either. I think injuries are definitely hurting Johnson, and potentially Palat too. Last year it was the triplets, this year it was more like the Kucherov show.

Your guys defense also looked a bit worse this. Just not as sharp or quick as I remember it being. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the loss of Stralman. Really underrated guy back there for sure. Hopefully the defense can get back to full strength for the next series though. Is Stralman out the whole playoffs?

As much as I hate TB right now after what turned out to be a pretty chippy gritty series, I'd still rather see them go far again rather than the Pens or Islanders/Panthers. Best of luck to you guys in your next series against New York/Florida. It's going to be hard with the injuries, but I still think they can pull it off considering they can play a lot better still and they'll be facing in my opinion one of weakest playoff teams again next round.

Thanks for being classy.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Guess it really was similar to game 6 against NYR when we had like 8-9 guys with drip into their arms until puck dropped. And TJ did look ill, as did Hedman but hopefully it's only a small bug.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
prayers to hose em up and your loved ones

is weird wondering how many of you were out of minds in second period?

my leg was bothering me a lot today so couldnt sit up much so stayed offline

interesting thing to me is longer this team holds games scoreless more calm confident i myself get with them

i always had time periods each game of upmost importance this team does mess all over those timelines a lot haha

is like when hits 6 minutes to play yep we got this if is close tied just a weird feeling

was sitting in bed at 5.24 to play and had a vision of callahan doing something was gonna go tell todd but was sooo focused i didnt but it happened lol too funny to me

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

From NHL network:

Teams that won their 1st round series without their regular season leading goalscorer since 1980

1984 Blues - Joe Mullen
1988 Red Wings - Steve Yzerman
1994 Bruins - Cam Neely
2006 Avalanche - Marek Svatos
2016 Lightning - Steven Stamkos

No team made it to the Stanley Cup Finals

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
also was happy to spend a lot of time with you all this series has been awhile my leg just aint healing right from the bleed im thinking might be headed to another surgery or something:(

is since christmas but is same leg of the surgery had last year so maybe just needs more time to bounce back

i could not sit up much at all tonight and missed the board lol but too much pain

i refuse to medicate unless i absolutely must like if have to get somewhere i will bite the bullet if have to walk

anyway hope to be here with you soooooooo much longer well at least 2 more wins than last year

the cup

i like our chances

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
also was happy to spend a lot of time with you all this series has been awhile my leg just aint healing right from the bleed im thinking might be headed to another surgery or something:(

is since christmas but is same leg of the surgery had last year so maybe just needs more time to bounce back

i could not sit up much at all tonight and missed the board lol but too much pain

i refuse to medicate unless i absolutely must like if have to get somewhere i will bite the bullet if have to walk

anyway hope to be here with you soooooooo much longer well at least 2 more wins than last year

the cup

i like our chances
let's get stralman back and I like our chances go Lightning

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Well, I missed the game tonight. Was able to go the whole evening without touching my phone or catching the score. Caught it on replay so I'm like 5 hrs behind but....

YESSSSSSSS what a game by Ben Bishop and Ryan ****ing Callahan. One of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. Callahan earned his money this round. That PK and his play on the goal. WOW.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, I missed the game tonight. Was able to go the whole evening without touching my phone or catching the score. Caught it on replay so I'm like 5 hrs behind but....

YESSSSSSSS what a game by Ben Bishop and Ryan ****ing Callahan. One of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. Callahan earned his money this round. That PK and his play on the goal. WOW.

:nod:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We really got bailed out by Bish tonight. What a performance.

Really bittersweet winfor me tonight, my grandfather would have been watching this one with me, but he passed away yesterday. He wasn't a Lightning fan but he woulda been cheering on with me.

D2B, how bout that pass eh?

My condolences! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad