Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Predators

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think this game is a reflection of the season. We haven't been blown out, but we just aren't good enough, and our power play is complete garbage.

We always have games with periods of sustained pressure or domination, but that has rarely resulted in building a lead. It is what it is at this point. Hoping for some changes behind the bench this summer (assistant wise).
Yes , Yes, Yes, start by getting rid of Vincent and hire Hawerchuk !!! Hawerchuk probably has more offensive knowledge in his little finger than Vincent !! I never understood why , when Maurice took over , that he didn't hire his own assistant coaches . :dunno:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The thing about this game is that it is pretty accurate. The Predators are a better team than us and won by doing some little things better. Our PP is horrible. I watched the Anaheim vs Caps game the other night and it was an amazing game. Refs let them play, it was so fast. The Caps PP is incredible. They make plays from down low to Oshie right in front of the net with Ovie right behind him, passer has two options and they don't get stuck passing on the perimeter.

I kind of chuckled to myself watching the game last night (what else can I do?), when we had a PP and someone had possession right in the slot, and passed it back to the point.

What the heck are we doing??? Then we don't even likely get a shot on the net :help:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I kind of chuckled to myself watching the game last night (what else can I do?), when we had a PP and someone had possession right in the slot, and passed it back to the point.

What the heck are we doing??? Then we don't even likely get a shot on the net :help:

I just don't understand the thought process of Vincent. The whole have Scheifele sit in front of the net or the high slot and not touch the puck philosophy hasn't worked for the last two years. There was one pp last night where Scheifele got to the half boards and we controlled the play for almost the entire 2 minutes. Him being on the half boards makes the unit better because teams have to respect the fact that he can walk into the slot and rip his shot on net. As we saw last night this opened up other passing lanes and there were a few nice cross crease passes that were almost converted

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I laughed so hard about that beauty clean hit from Myers after Forsberg ran a bit of a goalie interference which the ref credited with 2 minutes for interference for Myers :laugh: There wasn't even an entire second between Forsberg giving the puck away and the check. Too bad he's not called Stralman.

This reffing is pissing me of more and more. I really really hope things are different next season.

This league man. Priceless.

I can live with whatever outcomes at this point, but what pisses me off is the refs want to dictate the games. Called Myers for interference for hitting a guy with the puck who just bumped our goalie in the first place. They completely neutered that game with that call.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yes , Yes, Yes, start by getting rid of Vincent and hire Hawerchuk !!! Hawerchuk probably has more offensive knowledge in his little finger than Vincent !! I never understood why , when Maurice took over , that he didn't hire his own assistant coaches . :dunno:

I love this idea. You'd think that DH would be open to an assistants position.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Drew Stafford - the most hated 32pt guy on the team.

I'd like to keep him around next year. By all accounts he's a good veteran and a good pro. He can put the puck in the net wich is a novelty these days. He might lack some high end speed but he makes up for it in other areas.

With the amount of youth flooding into our line up I think players like him, Little, Wheeler and MP are vital. We might be able to ice 4 real NHL lines next year....

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'd like to keep him around next year. By all accounts he's a good veteran and a good pro. He can put the puck in the net wich is a novelty these days. He might lack some high end speed but he makes up for it in other areas.

With the amount of youth flooding into our line up I think players like him, Little, Wheeler and MP are vital. We might be able to ice 4 real NHL lines next year....

I think he gets a bad rap around here, personally. He has a good shot for another 20+ goal season, and he floated a beautiful, beautiful saucer pass/shot to Scheif the other night for one of his three goals...and just about nobody cared.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think he gets a bad rap around here, personally. He has a good shot for another 20+ goal season, and he floated a beautiful, beautiful saucer pass/shot to Scheif the other night for one of his three goals...and just about nobody cared.

I did... :(

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I really like what Stafford brings. Most underrated player on this team perhaps. I dont get the lack of respect. Must be the +/- ;)

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Guys like Ladd, Stafford, Lowry and Armia are all players that lack either High end speed or great hands... (sometimes both in Lowry's case) but they have some other skills that make up for that in my opinion. I'd love to have a team of SchWheHlers but it's simply not possible.

Considering how hard the injuries have hit us, I find it reasonable to have him up on the top line. MP might be alright there but he is probably the only reason our second line is relevant right now.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I really like what Stafford brings. Most underrated player on this team perhaps. I dont get the lack of respect. Must be the +/- ;)

Stafford is a good producer, always has been and he continues to be. There's no question he has an offensive game.

He is really, really bad at the defensive part of hockey, and does half-assed, corner-cutting moves on just about every shift.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
I just don't understand the thought process of Vincent. The whole have Scheifele sit in front of the net or the high slot and not touch the puck philosophy hasn't worked for the last two years. There was one pp last night where Scheifele got to the half boards and we controlled the play for almost the entire 2 minutes. Him being on the half boards makes the unit better because teams have to respect the fact that he can walk into the slot and rip his shot on net. As we saw last night this opened up other passing lanes and there were a few nice cross crease passes that were almost converted

I saw the same thing. Players not being utilized to their strengths is a coaching issue (and unlike me when I'm coaching, the Jets' coaches don't have to justify their deployment to players' parents). I just don't know which coach(es) to blame anymore.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Absolutely not true. I commented very positively about this play, and a number of other posters commented as well. The complaint with Stafford isn't that he's a poor offensive player - he's actually quite good. It's other aspects of his game.

If our line-up was more solid, nobody would be complaining about Stafford - he's a very good complementary scoring winger. But that's about the extent of it.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Has anyone even heard anything about that hit on Dano is it at least going to be reviewed? Or are we getting the Jet treatment again?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

For me, it's just his fit with certain players. He doesn't seem to gel with Scheif and Wheeler like someone speedier does.

EDIT: and I realize we are very short of speedy players at the moment :) It's just an observation.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Absolutely not true. I commented very positively about this play, and a number of other posters commented as well. The complaint with Stafford isn't that he's a poor offensive player - he's actually quite good. It's other aspects of his game.

If our line-up was more solid, nobody would be complaining about Stafford - he's a very good complementary scoring winger. But that's about the extent of it.

Well, lot of people expressed happiness with Scheif's goal of course. I dunno maybe it was just a quiet GDT but I recall you were the only one to mention the pass itself, which I actually thought was more impressive.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
For me, it's just his fit with certain players. He doesn't seem to gel with Scheif and Wheeler like someone speedier does.

EDIT: and I realize we are very short of speedy players at the moment :) It's just an observation.

Yeah granted, Wheels and Scheifele are two of the fastest players on the team. Pretty fast by NHL standards overall actually.

Not as fast as Postma, but pretty fast. :)

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

It's been mentioned often before, but it might be worth reiterating that RW Stafford seems to be a lot better than LW Stafford, especially through the D and neutral zones.
Anyway, I like his cycle game a lot.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I can live with whatever outcomes at this point, but what pisses me off is the refs want to dictate the games. Called Myers for interference for hitting a guy with the puck who just bumped our goalie in the first place. They completely neutered that game with that call.

It's funny ... 3 games against the Preds this year the refs were making very questionable calls. Can you say fixed?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I think it's a very select few that want to run Stafford out of town. I want him on this team next year, I think his production will be sorely needed. The only issue I had with him last night is that he seemed like a duck out of water with Wheeler and Scheif most of the time, I don't think he fits all that well with those two, that's all. I realize he was basically forced into the role though.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
It's funny ... 3 games against the Preds this year the refs were making very questionable calls. Can you say fixed?

Southern teams always seem to get those timely calls they really do. And not just against us either.

What ticked me off the most about the Myers penalty is that Kosmo got absolutely plastered from behind in the Pred corner 30 seconds before the Myers penalty, the crowd reacted to it, it was a very dangerous hit as it was several feet from the boards and you could see his face hit the glass.

Then they call the Myers hit on what possible basis I have no idea. I find it odd that officals said they hate Kerry Fraser's blog "come on ref" because it calls them out.

Im sorry but at least someone holds you accountable for horrible calls and poor performances. The NFL acknowledges mistakes by its officals on a weekly basis, admits when calls where blown and wrong via public statements. There is a very real transparency.

For some reason NHL refs are assumed to be infallible.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Stafford is a good producer, always has been and he continues to be. There's no question he has an offensive game.

He is really, really bad at the defensive part of hockey, and does half-assed, corner-cutting moves on just about every shift.

and disappears for 10 game stretches at least 3-4 times a year.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I think this game is a reflection of the season. We haven't been blown out, but we just aren't good enough, and our power play is complete garbage.

We always have games with periods of sustained pressure or domination, but that has rarely resulted in building a lead. It is what it is at this point. Hoping for some changes behind the bench this summer (assistant wise).

Agree 100%. We play hard but are not effective.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree 100%. We play hard but are not effective.

This is how I feel about that. Everyone talks about how our possession numbers are so good, but many times we just have possession along the boards with our continual cycling. I know it's better to have the puck than to be chasing it, but possession alone doesn't win you games.

Being in a favorable position to receive the puck and have a scoring opportunity is what you want ideally, but it's hard to do that when you have to get into position to receive the puck in the corner for the endless cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad