Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Predators

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is how I feel about that. Everyone talks about how our possession numbers are so good, but many times we just have possession along the boards with our continual cycling. I know it's better to have the puck than to be chasing it, but possession alone doesn't win you games.

Being in a favorable position to receive the puck and have a scoring opportunity is what you want ideally, but it's hard to do that when you have to get into position to receive the puck in the corner for the endless cycle.

By "possession numbers" you mean Corsi? You don't get any Corsis for cycling - only for taking a shot (whether it misses, hits, is blocked or scores).

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Power play percentage by regular season:

2011-12: 18.0% (12th)
2012-13: 13.8% (30th)
2013-14: 15.4% (25th)
2014-15: 17.8% (17th)
2015-16: 15.6% (29th)

Gah :rant:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
By "possession numbers" you mean Corsi? You don't get any Corsis for cycling - only for taking a shot (whether it misses, hits, is blocked or scores).

No I didn't mean Corsi. Sometimes we say how much we dominated possession during a portion of a game, when we didn't really get a scoring chance.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No I didn't mean Corsi. Sometimes we say how much we dominated possession during a portion of a game, when we didn't really get a scoring chance.

Doesn't mean we didn't dominate possession though.

And I think that is the lack of talent we currently have showing.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Power play percentage by regular season:

2011-12: 18.0% (12th)
2012-13: 13.8% (30th)
2013-14: 15.4% (25th)
2014-15: 17.8% (17th)
2015-16: 15.6% (29th)

Gah :rant:

Bottom 5 in the league 3 out of 5 years, 12th & 17th the other two -- yep sounds like a good guy to re-hire for another 3 years:sarcasm:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Doesn't mean we didn't dominate possession though.

And I think that is the lack of talent we currently have showing.

We have a lot of players who don't know how to get the puck to the net. Lowry is allergic to the center of the ice. Thorbs loves him some board pins. Stafford can't get the puck there. We have Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers and Perreault. They are the only forwards who get the puck to the slot regularly. Burmi is coming around lately.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Southern teams always seem to get those timely calls they really do. And not just against us either.

You got that right! If the southern teams don't win nobody comes to the games. The Canadian teams could be have the crappy teams and they would sell out ... oh wait a minute they do.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
This is how I feel about that. Everyone talks about how our possession numbers are so good, but many times we just have possession along the boards with our continual cycling. I know it's better to have the puck than to be chasing it, but possession alone doesn't win you games.

Being in a favorable position to receive the puck and have a scoring opportunity is what you want ideally, but it's hard to do that when you have to get into position to receive the puck in the corner for the endless cycle.

I agree with this. Last year we were a team with an identity that was known and respected throughout the league. We were a big, fast, physical team that was hard on the puck and with a heavy game.

I dont see an identity this year other than cycling around the perimeter endlessly. I guess our identity is cyclers without scoring punch?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Last night during the 2nd intermission, TSN put up a graphic and down at the bottom is said the Jets are 1-43-7 when trailing after 2 periods over the last two seasons. 1-44-7 now, I guess. That's pretty crazy...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Team seemed to want to change it's identity this year from big, fast, and physical to more of a skill based team without some of the physicality. Obviously the skill is lacking but based off of who we've drafted in the last 2-3 years they are trying to move in that direction.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Last night during the 2nd intermission, TSN put up a graphic and down at the bottom is said the Jets are 1-43-7 when trailing after 2 periods over the last two seasons. 1-44-7 now, I guess. That's pretty crazy...

If these trailing stats don't demonstrate something fundamentally wrong with NHL hockey I don't know what does. Pretty much all NHL teams look like this. Not quite that bad, but it's a terrible trend overall. There is almost nothing teams can do when the other team decides to purely prevent goals. There are a few outliers in a season, but check this out: http://www.hockeycentral.co.uk/nhlstats/nhl-leading-2.php

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad