GDT: 4/19/16 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Elite offensive upside ainec. Drouin made Zetterberg look like a fool, that was eye-catching, this kid a game-breaker but god he needs to be more careful.

We'll still need to address the elephant in the room though : The 2nd and the 3rd line, Drouin aside, don't bring enough to the table. Palat needs to get A LOT better at even strength, Flip plays 20 minutes per game, scoreless and already minus -2 after 4 games Pffff :facepalm:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Elite offensive upside ainec. Drouin made Zetterberg look like a fool, that was eye-catching, this kid a game-breaker but god he needs to be more careful.

We'll still need to address the elephant in the room though : The 2nd and the 3rd line, Drouin aside, don't bring enough to the table. Palat needs to get A LOT better at even strength, Flip plays 20 minutes per game, scoreless and already minus -2 after 4 games Pffff :facepalm:

Flip has been key to the penalty kill like Cally. 3rd line is not going to create much offense with Paquette on there and he kept bringing his line down last night. I thought Vladdy and Cally both had very good games. There is more pressure on flip to score since he is in the top 6 with the more skilled offense oriented players.

But we would not be winning these one goal games if it was not for the efforts of the PK which have been Palat, Flip, Boyle and Cally running that show . So what they only have two points among all four of them. They have been a pain in Detroit's side and have raised our PK to like best in the league right now.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
#yzergod prohecy

on the fourth game of the playoff year 2016 i shall have you lead your team to victory

the ugly condemned man shall be granted control of the destiny of this fine franchise

given control of the puck to let our fellow disciples score three times on the all mighty power play

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Flip has been key to the penalty kill like Cally. 3rd line is not going to create much offense with Paquette on there and he kept bringing his line down last night. I thought Vladdy and Cally both had very good games. There is more pressure on flip to score since he is in the top 6 with the more skilled offense oriented players.

But we would not be winning these one goal games if it was not for the efforts of the PK which have been Palat, Flip, Boyle and Cally running that show . So what they only have two points among all four of them. They have been a pain in Detroit's side and have raised our PK to like best in the league right now.

You're addressing the problem the wrong way. Those games wouldn't be close if our 2nd and 3rd line played half-decent. Some players have some scoring chances but this is really, really, really not enough.

There's something going wrong if you play on the 2nd line with 20 minutes per game and remain scoreless after 4 crucial, tight games.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're addressing the problem the wrong way. Those games wouldn't be close if our 2nd and 3rd line played half-decent. Some players have some scoring chances but this is really, really, really not enough.

There's something going wrong if you play on the 2nd line with 20 minutes per game and remain scoreless after 4 crucial, tight games.

Yeah I agree about the 2nd line. 3rd line not much can be done, they are a shutdown line with a 4th liner on LW, cannot expect much scoring from them. We are up 3-1 in the series, these lines have some time to make that key clutch goal in this series, so I am not concerned yet.

Anyway, I was begging for an empty net goal last night, because we saw Palat - Flip - Cally out there, one or all could of gotten on the scoresheet last night. Which all 3 could of used the points. Although Pally did score the GW goal last night, so hopefully it will be Flip's or Cally's turn to score a clutch goal. If only he deflected Kuch's shot, but that screen was great also.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Flips game hasn't been bad. He's winning faceoffs and making key defensive plays that are saving our ass back there. He hasn't scored though which is a problem. If only he could put the puck in the net he would probably be getting more ice time. But that is a part of his game that has never been great.

Still I can see why Coop trusts him. He and Cally seem to do everything right outside of putting the puck in the net and if they were able to do that this team would be in amazing shape going forward. But still the team has an issue with our secondary scoring. Were not getting goals from anyone outside of Johnson and Kucherov. Palat scored a big one tonight and Killorn did in game 1. I'd like to see those two show a bit more in goal scoring department too.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If we lose Stamkos we have the depth with the way Drouin is playing. We sign a guy like Backes or Staal for a few years as a 2nd line center. Try Drouin out of a center, and move forward. If we sign stamkos for 8 million or less good deal. I think we should offer him a 2 year 10 million a year deal, and see if he can regain form. If not we can trade him or it is not a long term deal to handicap forever. This all depends if we can move at least Carle, but maybe Flip if we have too.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Flips game hasn't been bad. He's winning faceoffs and making key defensive plays that are saving our ass back there. He hasn't scored though which is a problem. If only he could put the puck in the net he would probably be getting more ice time. But that is a part of his game that has never been great.

Still I can see why Coop trusts him. He and Cally seem to do everything right outside of putting the puck in the net and if they were able to do that this team would be in amazing shape going forward. But still the team has an issue with our secondary scoring. Were not getting goals from anyone outside of Johnson and Kucherov. Palat scored a big one tonight and Killorn did in game 1. I'd like to see those two show a bit more in goal scoring department too.

That's my whole point. He's getting 20 mins / game. Assist or goal he must get his name on the scoresheet one way or the other or we're done as soon as we'll face a legit playoffs team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That's my whole point. He's getting 20 mins / game. Assist or goal he must get his name on the scoresheet one way or the other or we're done as soon as we'll face a legit playoffs team.

Agree. Cally and Filppula are definitely overpaid because of their lack of scoring but they are important role players on this team.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Cally's been okay. Yeah, he's made some big-time blocks, but he has, by and large, been invisible. Right now, he's bringing most of his value on the PK, but that's kind of it.

That can't be said for Flip. He's been really steady, really visible, making a lot of solid plays.

And this is the problem of guys not living up to their big contracts. If he was being paid 2 million per like Boyle we wouldn't be having this conversation. Like Boyle, he's been great on the PK, he's blocked shots and he's been physical. The only problem with all of this is those things I just listed are the attributes of a bottom six player. He's a bottom six penalty killer/energy guy, yet he's being paid like a first line winger.

I know what you're saying and I totally agree that he should be doing more than he is offensively for that type of money but to tell you the truth, I don't see him as anything more than a bottom six penalty killer/energy guy (which he's very good at). I really don't expect that much out of him offensively. If he can bang one in every now and then, bonus.

I really like the way Callahan plays - but I like him at 2 million, not 6.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree. Cally and Filppula are definitely overpaid because of their lack of scoring but they are important role players on this team.

Well, Cally is on a 3rd line skating with Paquette who is not having a very good series and was bad last night, and he is getting less mins than Flip. Where as Flip is getting over 20 mins a game, and skating with Palat and Drouin in the top 6, no reason he should not be putting up at least a couple of assists now but I don't fault him, will explain below.

As per overpaid, Callahan is one of the best PK'ers in the league, you pay for that. It is not just killing penalties like a bottom 6 dweller, it's taking control of the PK, influencing the entire PK, and literally putting a wall up against the other team. Flip has also been brilliant on the PK, which we have taken a lot of penalties, biased refs or not, the PK is getting the job done, so when players like Palat, Cally, and Flip who are our best two way forwards are constantly out there killing penalties, it's going to effect their offensive game. Palat broke through last night, but again he is skating in the top 6 like Flip. I pray and hope both Flip and Cally will score a goal or two, not just because we will have a better chance to win, but because it will quiet some of the critics for at least the next series, lol.

But right now, with a series lead 3-1 should not be complaining about anyone. Since everyone has contributed in a large way. It's really been a team effort so far, yeah the scoring might be lopsided, but almost everyone is playing their role on a grand level, especially Flip and Cally.

Also, Whoever thinks Cally has been invisible, tell that to Datsyuk and the Detroit Red Wings PP. They gave him 3rd star in Game 2, even when the entire Top line went on a tear, so they know how good he has been. Does he need to get his offensive game going? Yeah of course will def help. But If kept into this 3rd line role with Paquette, cannot except much scoring from him on that line. The fact that his screen was a large part of Kuch's 2nd goal totally went unnoticed is just another example of how unappreciated he is on this forum. If he tipped that and got the credit for the goal, would people be singing a different tune? It's a game of inches and luck.

And this is the problem of guys not living up to their big contracts. If he was being paid 2 million per like Boyle we wouldn't be having this conversation. Like Boyle, he's been great on the PK, he's blocked shots and he's been physical. The only problem with all of this is those things I just listed are the attributes of a bottom six player. He's a bottom six penalty killer/energy guy, yet he's being paid like a first line winger.

I know what you're saying and I totally agree that he should be doing more than he is offensively for that type of money but to tell you the truth, I don't see him as anything more than a bottom six penalty killer/energy guy (which he's very good at). I really don't expect that much out of him offensively. If he can bang one in every now and then, bonus.

I really like the way Callahan plays - but I like him at 2 million, not 6.

He scored 54 points the season before. Yeah he had a down season due to a recurring injury like Palat and Johnson. Are you going to tell me Johnson is a .50 to .60 player moving forward? **** no. Refuse to believe that, even with Cally.

What makes Callahan more valuable is his ability to shutdown and also bring the offensive game but he does it on a grand level. When he goes on an offensive tear he is a PPG player in those spans. But you also bring up the hits and blocked shots, which he led all forwards by a wide margin in those departments, 5th in BS in the entire league. To pay him only 2 million would be an insult. He does not just kill penalties, he runs the PK, and influences the guys around him, that is the major difference. He also has decent play-making skills, good vision, a good shot, and good speed. Those are not attributes of a Bottom 6 player, that is what makes him different from the bottom 6. Yeah the offense has not been there this season, but looking at the regular season, pretty much our entire Top 9 has been down in scoring. So is the blame on just one person, no. Part of his lack of production has been on Cooper, and just ****** luck.

Just to add, if he gets decent top 6 time next season and continues to struggle offensively and does not put up at least around 45 to 50 points, will not say another word.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cally is one of my favorite players too but he is expensive for a guy who can't provide some goal scoring. No matter which line he is on. He is capable of putting some pucks in the net but at over 5 mil you wish he could score more. Filppula is no different. I wish we paid them both 2 mil less than we currently are. 3-4 mil a season is probably what they are realistically worth.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally is one of my favorite players too but he is expensive for a guy who can't provide some goal scoring. No matter which line he is on. He is capable of putting some pucks in the net but at over 5 mil you wish he could score more. Filppula is no different. I wish we paid them both 2 mil less than we currently are. 3-4 mil a season is probably what they are realistically worth.

In about a year or so, will have about 6 or 7 guys making more than Cally and/or Flip. With the cap going up each year, a 5 million dollar contract looks more like a 4 million dollar contract.

Also, with Cally, in his first year he exceeded expectations to his contract, and his second year he is not living up to it, so he is even now. Lets see how Cally does in his 3rd year. If he hits close or more than 50 points, no one should be complaining.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i will say i watched the game again detroit is doing a serious job of not giving our guys besides the wonderkids or group any space really to work well in zone

one thing saw namestnikov could have done a turn around shoot puck as he traveled from behind net but i mean there has not been a whole lot of space they are doing a good job on our other lines stuffing it up limiting it

is not a lot of space out there or as much as id hope for myself

is not just glendening line they really are clogging it up to think we had over 30 shots is very impressive by all they are doing to make life hard on us or miserable

and yes they are doing a lot of stick grabbing etc.. lol

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
In about a year or so, will have about 6 or 7 guys making more than Cally and/or Flip. With the cap going up each year, a 5 million dollar contract looks more like a 4 million dollar contract.

The cap going up each year is far from guaranteed at the moment.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Palat's been getting unfair criticism about his production, IMO. He's been given the top defensive responsibility our of any of our forwards and he's been shutting down whoever he goes up against. Look at how good he's been on our penalty kill. Even in the offensive zone, he's winning battles and getting possession. I think that the Palat/Drouin line would really benefit from a finisher, because they are doing everything right minus the scoring so far.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Palat's been getting unfair criticism about his production, IMO. He's been given the top defensive responsibility our of any of our forwards and he's been shutting down whoever he goes up against. Look at how good he's been on our penalty kill. Even in the offensive zone, he's winning battles and getting possession. I think that the Palat/Drouin line would really benefit from a finisher, because they are doing everything right minus the scoring so far.

palat in a quip had said he was focusing too much on drouin etc.. and needs to deliver more offense

he expects more of himself

we gots to have something to complain about:)

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Imagine Stamkos there and Flip back on the 3rd with Brown and Cally. We would look so good with a healthy brown and Stamkos. Damn injuries always get us man.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Imagine Stamkos there and Flip back on the 3rd with Brown and Cally. We would look so good with a healthy brown and Stamkos. Damn injuries always get us man.

That would have been great, Palat and Drouin cycling the pucks in the corner with Stamkos hovering around the slot. Stamkos could have been used on our 2nd PP unit too, with Drouin/Kucherov being the other unit. Sigh, maybe we can get Stralman back in time for the ECF.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Even a Brown - Vladdy - Callahan would generate more offense. Need Paquette off the 3rd line.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Even a Brown - Vladdy - Callahan would generate more offense. Need Paquette off the 3rd line.

You're crazy if you think Flip is going to the 4th...it's not the Tampa Bay Callahan's. Callahan is a 2nd or 3rd liner and for the entire year he's proved why he's a 3rd liner. Not taking away what he's done in this series but I'd rather have Brown-Flip-Cally on the 3rd as a shutdown line to help win us games (and provide offense, theyve done it in the past) than focusing on the production lacking Callahan of 2016 by adding Names. Names hasn't done much this series so I'm not sure even that is the answer.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
You're crazy if you think Flip is going to the 4th...it's not the Tampa Bay Callahan's. Callahan is a 2nd or 3rd liner and for the entire year he's proved why he's a 3rd liner. Not taking away what he's done in this series but I'd rather have Brown-Flip-Cally on the 3rd as a shutdown line to help win us games (and provide offense, theyve done it in the past) than focusing on the production lacking Callahan of 2016 by adding Names. Names hasn't done much this series so I'm not sure even that is the answer.

I think he meant with Fil on the 2nd line and with Brown healthy that a line of Brown-Vladdy-Cally, not that Fil was going to be on the 4th line, Paquette on the other hand probably should since he seem to struggle a lot this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad