Pre-Game Talk: 4/12/14 final home game: Jackets are required....

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Maybe I'm slow, but what do these numbers mean? I get that we have a 25% chance of drafting 2nd, but what does 18,8 and 56,2 mean? We don't have a 56% chance of drafting 3rd lol help me out.

Yes its 56% chance that we will draft 3rd.
25% chance that Sabres wins and that means we will get 2nd, 18,8% that we win and get first and then 100-25-18,8=56,2% that any team behind us wins the lottery and that 1st, and then we get 3rd.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Who is Tallon's guy in this draft? Or guys?

Healey is losing his mind that the Oilers are not tanking this game:laugh::laugh:

I see Ekblad being the last piece to the defense core puzzle if Tallon has his opportunity. The height and potential growth/size alone of our defense core is just staggering with adding another 6' plus monster into the mix.

Kulikov - Gudbranson
Ekblad - Petrovic
Matheson - McCoshen

Robak/Racine/Weegar/Brown

is pretty scary in 2-3 years time if they can develop and progress.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
25% chance that Sabres wins and that means we will get 2nd, 18,8% that we win and get first and then 100-25-18,8=56,2% that any team behind us wins the lottery and that 1st, and then we get 3rd.

Oh ok lol you use commas, we use decimals that's why I was confused.

Since we could say it so few times about our team this year:

OIIIILLLLLLLLEEEEEEERRRRRRRSSSSSS

WWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
So happy Edmonton passed you guys. I wanted Draisaitl/Bennett and this is one step closer.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I see Ekblad being the last piece to the defense core puzzle if Tallon has his opportunity. The height and potential growth/size alone of our defense core is just staggering with adding another 6' plus monster into the mix.

Kulikov - Gudbranson
Ekblad - Petrovic
Matheson - McCoshen

Robak/Racine/Weegar/Brown

is pretty scary in 2-3 years time if they can develop and progress.

Matheson-Ekblad
Kuli-Petro
Guddy-McCoshen

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Ekblad! Ekblad! Ekblad!

Just finished watching on DVR, then wrapped things up with viewing the Oilers highlights on dtmts.com - life is good! :D I noticed Matthias trying to screw us over, but was happy to see that Markstrom was his normal porous self... it's the nicest thing he's ever done for the Panthers.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
CBC guys are all crying Edmonton have a lower chance of getting Ekblad. They must know Tallon gets hard for players with SIZE and character who are real pro's :sarcasm:

Sir?
Gillian-Darmody-big.jpg

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Ekblad? Another D in top 3? Wasn't Guds supposed to be a two way monster dman too? What I hear are the same things the year we drafted Guds. I know someone will say dmen take longer to devolep but just look at Kulikov. 6-7 years in he's still not close to where he was supposed to be. Guds has made little to no progress and I blame the coaching staff for that on the way they use him. Why would Ekblad be any different?

If Edmonton is desperate enough and they dont win the draft lottery again let's try Eberle + 3rd overall for 2nd overall and Fleishmann :)

Last edited:

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Oh ok lol you use commas, we use decimals that's why I was confused.

Since we could say it so few times about our team this year:

OIIIILLLLLLLLEEEEEEERRRRRRRSSSSSS

WWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aah yeah, sorry for that, my bad. yeah we uses comma in Sweden and used to it so forget to change the comma to a decimal.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
Ekblad? Another D in top 3? Wasn't Guds supposed to be a two way monster dman too? What I hear are the same things the year we drafted Guds. I know someone will say dmen take longer to devolep but just look at Kulikov. 6-7 years in he's still not close to where he was supposed to be. Guds has made little to no progress and I blame the coaching staff for that on the way they use him. Why would Ekblad be any different?

If Edmonton is desperate enough and they dont win the draft lottery again let's try Eberle + 3rd overall for 2nd overall and Fleishmann :)

"Just the second player to be granted exceptional status in the OHL. Ekblad is a true "two-way" defenseman. He makes great passes, uses his size to his advantage, plays the body, quarterbacks the power play, can take over the game in any of the three zones and has great hockey sense. He is a sure fire top 3 pick in this summers NHL entry draft. "
I like the sound of that. We already have enough forward prospects.
And drafting a d-man in the top-4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, just look at how Hedman has played this season.
Not to mention Doughty, Pietrangelo and Jones. (Murray looks promising to)
Yes, I am aware of Hickey, Barker and Larsson but none of them were as good as Ekblad, he's an exceptional talent.
We just have to acquire a proven solid D-man to help Ekblad develop.

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
I don't give a rat a$$ who the hell we pick just as long as we pick for once the right one. I cringe every time we contemplate picking a D-man so high, so far not one has pan out for us.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

I would argue fwiw that guds and kuli although not great are miles ahead of dead weight defensemen in the lineup like jovo, olsen, robak, and when the flip is switched to the off position campbell.

Also fwiw I still hope kuli gets traded in the off season.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site

Actually, I think you can only move up a max of 4 slots. Which means...

We win and pick 1st: 18.8%
EDM, NYI, CAL or VAN wins and we drop to 3rd: 39.2%
BUF wins (25%) OR any team better than VAN wins (17%) and we keep at the 2nd pick: 42%

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden

BUF wins (25%) OR any team better than VAN wins (17%) and we keep at the 2nd pick: 42%

No they changed it some years ago, everyone can win now. From wikipedia
"At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery (25%) while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position to the number 1 spot, and no team dropping more than one place."

Erick*

Markstrom finally did something for this organization! "Thanks Markstrom!!"

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

The NHL changed it after the 2012 season so anyone who wins picks first. More changes are rumoured to be coming this summer to stop teams tanking for Mcdavid.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ekblad is the BPA in my opinion. I say if we lose out on picking him by falling to 3rd then we try and trade for Eberle. If there was a top 3 RW pegged to go then I'd draft him but we are loaded at Center and LW with Huberdeau/Pirri/Howden/Bergenheim. I feel our RW depth is the weakest. Sign or Trade for the #1RW we desperately need if we can't pick Ekblad.

I think we have to add another 2nd-3rd round pick OR prospect to your offer since Eberle's contract adds some value. If Edmonton has two picks in the top 3, they should draft Ekblad and use the other pick, our potential pick in a package to get a proven player. Everyone goes home happy.

I'd love to see Eberle play with Barkov or Bjugstad for years to come. He'd be tops on my list for the RW we need. I hope Tallon is aggressive with a trade and/or free agent signing. This is the year we need to see change in results. No more picking top 5 or we may need a new GM by the end of next year.

No they changed it some years ago, everyone can win now. From wikipedia
"At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery (25%) while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position to the number 1 spot, and no team dropping more than one place."

IIRC, they changed the lottery to what you quoted last year when we lost out on Mackinnon. Another top 3 pick for Dale to contemplate. :amazed:

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
we did it we did it!!! 1-3 overall pick. it's almost like winning the first round of the playoffs!!:shakehead:D;) not really, but it's the best we could do this year. maybe we win the lottery.:handclap::nod::yo: or maybe talen pulls off a spectacular trade for our pick.:D;)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Can you give us a quick report on ekblad MR

From the draft thread:

I would say he's a defenseman who does everything great but not elite. He does not simply dominate because of his size. He also shuts people down due to his extraordinary hockey sense, active stick, and high compete level. He doesn't just engage the other team's top forwards and battle with them because it's his job, he does it because he relishes it. He relishes that role and responsibility and he plays well when he's depended on to shut a top forward down. With his reach and huge size, it's just an added bonus. He projects to be a top shut down guy at the NHL level. He just has a calming effect out there too. He's a very hard worker as I said but he also looks so smooth out there, rarely makes mistakes so he makes everything look routine and easy. He just thinks the game better than most, and it's able to translate. That's a rare gift just like Barkov has.

He's been the captain of his team for two seasons and is very well respected by his teammates. He has good leadership potential. He has a bomb of a shot but he's also a very good playmaker and makes a great first pass. He will support the rush and join it when the opportunity is there. He has great mobility and balance. There's really nothing he can't do well. He's a can't miss 1-2 defenseman. He's not going to be the best ever but he's going to be really, really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00