3rd line Center or a Scoring winger

What do the bruins need, to give them the best chance, come playoff time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For all the people saying #3C.... who? The rental market for #3C is garbage.

I totally agree that getting a C is a great move... especially with TB and Tor... but who?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
The C position is so vital in this NHL and I`m a big fan of possession, the benefit to start the play with the puck more often than not is the way to go

I`ll always take a C over a winger unless the B`s are in a spot where they didn`t need one but right now, they do IMO
Normally I’d agree with you. But their options for 2RW might be in the bottom 5 of the whole league.

If they plan on competing this spring that’s a hole you gotta plug. Or not. And pray Nordstrom finds his inner Pastrnak.

Reactions: Blowfish

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I totally agree that getting a C is a great move... especially with TB and Tor... but who?

I wouldn't call the rental market garbage. There's quite a few players out there that I like depending on what we'd have to give up:

Kevin Hayes, Brock Nelson/Anders Lee, Matt Duchene, Eric Staal

The player I really hope we target is Artem Anisimov. He wouldn't be a rental and has 2 years left after this season at a $4.5mil hit. He'd be the perfect 3C who could easily slot up 2 spots in case we had injury.

He centered that Kane-Panarin line 2 years ago and they were deadly...

Reactions: Strafer

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't call the rental market garbage. There's quite a few players out there that I like depending on what we'd have to give up:

The player I really hope we target is Artem Anisimov. He wouldn't be a rental and has 2 years left after this season at a $4.5mil hit. He'd be the perfect 3C who could easily slot up 2 spots in case we had injury.

I mentioned Anisimov in another thread and he intrigues me. Hoping they can add a couple players before the playoffs.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
To me this is easy scoring right handed RW. If I had my choice, the player would have size and be mean. Not for Krech because of the Horton/Lucic replication. Size in general added to the Bruin forward group. Not crazy about a another smallish guy. We have plenty small/ average guys. if we are buying one thing might as well get the best they can. Center spot I am fine with Cave/JFK, maybe Frederic and Backes taking important face-offs on the 3rd line. We have picks, prospects and maybe a roster player to package for this. Put the super line back together and get Krech what he needs. I was not sure he could still do it but we seen he can.

Reactions: Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Ah, your right there isn't a whole lot out there available at the center position.

You have Duchene, if Ottawa is unable to sign him, Anders Lee has played some Center and Schenn would be the big fish, but out side of that your looking at:

K.Hayes, J.Carter, Anisimov, Nelson, Namestnikov, Coyle and Filppula of guys who have been mention as possible being available, all not being UFA's.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Nelson, Lee (not a C) and Duchene are NOT certain to be on the market. And Duchene ain’t coming to Boston from Ottawa. And I ain’t trying to move the 1st.

I don’t want to overrate the prospects. But is AA who you want to block everyone with? Sure you could throw Frederic and Studnicka on the wing for a couple seasons I guess. Maybe have JFK play on the 4th. But then AA and Krejci expire at the same time and none of your guys have played a lot of NHL C. I dunno. I do like his size and handedness. I don’t like his age/speed/salary combo.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The Bruins have some serious asset mismanagement in their bottom 6. Backes making 6 mil to play on the 4th line is the biggest issues. And yes I realize it works for Tampa with Callahan but that's because their middle 6 is awesome and affordable. Their kids are what we wish our kids were so they can absorb a 6 mil 4th liner for now (but that won't last). With that said, it's not just that he's making 6 mil on the 4th line, it's that they desperately need a 3rd line C, Backes has been a C most of his career, and was brought here to play 3rd line C and yet they won't use him there. That's the real kicker. Like even as the 3rd line center he'd be overpaid at 6 mil but at least he would fill a major need. And tbh I don't think he's incapable of doing it. I just don't get why they don't try to get more out of him. If they refuse to do so then trade him and use that money in the top 6.

And with all that said, if you know you have a ton of prospects and you know you have a guy making 6 mil in the bottom 6, why do you go out and drop 2.25 mil on Wagner & Nordstrom and then let 4+mil sit unused in the cap? Like you're already playing with a handicap because of the Backes contract so you need to get more out of the remaining cap space you have but they're not doing **** with it.
If there was a remote chance in hell David Backes could be traded without major salary retained he would be gone by morning. He has top 5 worst contracts in the league and flies under the radar next to guys like Lucic and Clarkson who were only marginally worse signings.

This one is painful now and will be downright agonizing before it’s over

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Schenn. Coyle. I don't know... Someone else?

Same could be said of winger. We don't know. We're picking by position.

I look at JFK in that role right now and see that we are BADLY hurting. A good third line center would give us four lines that can play. Backes can stay on the fourth.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Easily a 3C for me, preferably a rental. One of JFK/Frederic/Studnicka should be able to step into that role full-time next season, JFK probably has the inside track. I have faith in the young wingers to fill in when they have a good C in between them. I'd go hard after Brassard if Pittsburgh is considering moving him.

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Brassard-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Backes
Wagner/Acciari

Reactions: CellyHard

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
reminds me of the last scene of trading places when the young lady asks, "can't we have both?"
this team isn't beating anyone as currently constituted, especially tampa who looks like a
historically good squad. but if i needed 1 over the other, i'd choose center. also liked the
brassard idea - big game brass on an expiring contract works for me. i'm not a big JFK fan,
so he can go in any deals we make. want to keep that 1st at all costs this year, as i think you can
find a future #2 offensive C in the middle of that round. and then next year you can have 1 of
studnicka or frederic in that spot.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
A scoring winger if they can get him without selling the farm. Don't want/need another Rick Nash sized trade.

If they can't acquire a good winger without giving up too many pieces I'd rather they stand pat.

Even if you added both a Center and a Winger I don't see this team getting past Tampa

Reactions: 22Brad Park

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I voted for center, but I'm not opposed to acquiring both roles in "hockey deal" type moves, NO RENTALS.

This team isn't strong enough, and we need to add too many dependent players to be even be considered in the top tier again. I don't think there should be any talk of a single rental.

Make trades that go beyond this year, that allows the team to grow with acquired players (think the acquisition of Ference/Kobasew or a prime Chris Kelly) in the bigger picture.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
A 3rd line Center could be huge come playoff time, one who's good in the face-off dot, and who can move up the line-up if need be.

A scoring winger would be nice, taking the heat off the first line to do all the scoring.

Should they Stand pat the youngsters will eventually fill all the needs and once all the walking wounded return, there'll be no need for change.

They stand pat they are going out the door the moment they face Tampa.This team needs a top 6 scoring winger to give them two legit scoring lines which will give other teams serious headaches..They want a 3rd line centre great in the dot grab that from the Blues in Bozak but the scoring winger has to happen.Sweeney better frig off with excuses.Get it done.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
for a RW, what about jakob silfverberg? apparently being misused by the ducks this year, UFA to be.
very strong defensively, good size, good hands. stats paint a guy that's probably a #2-3 RW, but
certainly a top 9 player. i believe bruins were linked to him years back when boychuk was being
shopped. what say y'all? not sure on the acquisition price, but could be a 2nd rounder or maybe
a strong prospect for silfy 1 for 1.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
for a RW, what about jakob silfverberg? apparently being misused by the ducks this year, UFA to be.
very strong defensively, good size, good hands. stats paint a guy that's probably a #2-3 RW, but
certainly a top 9 player. i believe bruins were linked to him years back when boychuk was being
shopped. what say y'all? not sure on the acquisition price, but could be a 2nd rounder or maybe
a strong prospect for silfy 1 for 1.
Not opposed, Lawrence, but would they move him? They look like a playoff team. Do they not feel like they’ll be able to retain him?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
would they move him? They look like a playoff team. Do they not feel like they’ll be able to retain him?

according to a ducks fan, they won't be able to afford him after this year and he's been a weird fit for them
alongside cogliano and kesler this season. ideally they can continue replenishing their system, and we
obviously have a lot of chips in that regard. we'll see. assume sweeney is turning over every RW rock, so
to speak.

silfverberg, eberle, nyquist, stone (perfect fit but sadly he'll stay there), bjugstad, ferland, bjorkstrand,
zuccarello, simmonds, rust, burakovsky, saad, coyle, niederreiter, fischer, neal, puljujarvi, tarasenko,
toffoli and kovalchuk are guys i'm sure they've looked into in some shape or fashion. and a lot of them
aren't fits for one reason or another.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
reminds me of the last scene of trading places when the young lady asks, "can't we have both?"
this team isn't beating anyone as currently constituted, especially tampa who looks like a
historically good squad. but if i needed 1 over the other, i'd choose center. also liked the
brassard idea - big game brass on an expiring contract works for me. i'm not a big JFK fan,
so he can go in any deals we make. want to keep that 1st at all costs this year, as i think you can
find a future #2 offensive C in the middle of that round. and then next year you can have 1 of
studnicka or frederic in that spot.

Not me cause the scoring winger completes 2 dangerous lines and makes Krecji a viable scoring threat point wise He is a great player if you give him legit wingers..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad