Post-Game Talk: #38 | FLYERS (H) vs. Bruins (A) | Tuesday, Apr. 6, 2021

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I am curious about opinion on here -- certainly we will be of one mind on this! -- regarding the play where JvR hammered Smith (?) and then got mugged. Hayes glided over to help JvR, who was down on the ice and being worked over by 2 Bruins, then looked up and saw the play going the other way. He skated away, got the puck, and beat Swayman but not the crossbar.

On the one hand, it was great that he saw the play develop and got into it quickly, and was just unlucky to not have scored with a laser of a shot. On the other, it irked me that he -- and the other Flyers skaters -- abandoned JvR while he was vulnerable and outnumbered.
I am all for supporting a team mate, but the decision has to be made based on the in-game situation.
Had he scored, it would have been a good vindication for JVR struggles.
Let's reverse the situation a bit, maybe it will help your decision making. Say, Hayes returns to help JVR, and Bs score. Would you be mad at him, or glad that he supported his mate?
In the game before, a winning goal was scored while Patrick and Marchand were engaged in the MMA activities- seems like Boston's forecheck procedures include tackling a player to the ice.

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
EyTLr_LWgAYDMDe.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am all for supporting a team mate, but the decision has to be made based on the in-game situation.
Had he scored, it would have been a good vindication for JVR struggles.
Let's reverse the situation a bit, maybe it will help your decision making. Say, Hayes returns to help JVR, and Bs score. Would you be mad at him, or glad that he supported his mate?
In the game before, a winning goal was scored while Patrick and Marchand were engaged in the MMA activities- seems like Boston's forecheck procedures include tackling a player to the ice.

Oh, I know, CSKA. Obviously, there is no right answer for a "what if" scenario, and I am only raising this because Hayes didn't score. He fires it half a puck height, it goes bar-down and the Flyers have a lead. Smith and Frederic look foolish for trying to exact revenge on JvR while the play continues. The flip side is that Hayes goes in with intent and the play is probably whistled down for offsetting penalties or even a fight. However, it was an interesting moment in the game because of the duality of my response. It was like "Hayes, what are you ... oh, yes, come on, ... drat.*"

I was surprised the ref didn't stop play to penalize Patrick and Marchand even though it was a good -- trying to be objective here! -- decision because a scoring opportunity was developing and the Patrick-Marchand scuffle didn't give an advantage to either team.

* Actual word may have been less G-rated.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am curious about opinion on here -- certainly we will be of one mind on this! -- regarding the play where JvR hammered Smith (?) and then got mugged. Hayes glided over to help JvR, who was down on the ice and being worked over by 2 Bruins, then looked up and saw the play going the other way. He skated away, got the puck, and beat Swayman but not the crossbar.

On the one hand, it was great that he saw the play develop and got into it quickly, and was just unlucky to not have scored with a laser of a shot. On the other, it irked me that he -- and the other Flyers skaters -- abandoned JvR while he was vulnerable and outnumbered.
it's a judgement call.

Being the last guy "in", the refs often call a penalty on that guy. Hayes read the play and made the right read. Had we scored, we all would have been happy with it.

Don't take away a scoring chance from the team, to get into scrums.

In the end, the refs should have called a penalty on the guy who went after JVR after the hit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

If I'm JVR, I want Hayes to make the play, action was continuing, this is a key game and I'm a big boy. Got a chance to score, go for it.
Take the uniform #, and later in the game, if the opportunity presents itself, revenge is a dish best served cold.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Oh, I know, CSKA. Obviously, there is no right answer for a "what if" scenario, and I am only raising this because Hayes didn't score. He fires it half a puck height, it goes bar-down and the Flyers have a lead. Smith and Frederic look foolish for trying to exact revenge on JvR while the play continues. The flip side is that Hayes goes in with intent and the play is probably whistled down for offsetting penalties or even a fight. However, it was an interesting moment in the game because of the duality of my response. It was like "Hayes, what are you ... oh, yes, come on, ... drat.*"

I was surprised the ref didn't stop play to penalize Patrick and Marchand even though it was a good -- trying to be objective here! -- decision because a scoring opportunity was developing and the Patrick-Marchand scuffle didn't give an advantage to either team.

* Actual word may have been less G-rated.
I totally get it. I had exact same reaction to Hayes' situation. :) IMO, he totally made a right decision (even a blind squirrel....)
As for Patrick and Marchand, the ref in the Flyers zone made a smart "non-call". He pointed at both players to be penalized, but did not intend to blow the whistle while the play was in progress, as penalties were offsetting

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What will be interesting is the next Bruins game, if the Flyers are further behind at that point in a few days, I'd be wary of stepping on the ice if I were certain Bruin players.

Reactions: renberg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The idea that Hayes "thought" that - or anything - out, as some sort of mental processing, is hilarious. Maybe if JVR blew a f***ing dog whistle and pointed at the other end of the ice. When was the last time he stood up for anyone? I'll give you a hint - the next time he does it will be the first. I'm not saying he made the wrong decision this time, but that motherf***er isn't standing up for anybody. He's too stupid. And he's also an actual p***y, not a meme p***y.

Don't @ me - trust me when I say that it's just easier to let me vent and ignore it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AV doesn't allow that.

Not when the games count, and he's right, giving the Bruins chances on the PP is suicide.
But if Fletcher is selling,and they're clearly out of the playoff race, well, sometimes you want to send a message for next season.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
The frustration of Morin's 2 minutes for bodychecking is that I strongly believe the ref was trying to cut off Morin fighting Frederic.
Which I ask the question why? That call was putrid I just don’t understand how that call is made really when guys were being tackled all game ie Rat Face on G before he scored the SHG

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Which I ask the question why? That call was putrid I just don’t understand how that call is made really when guys were being tackled all game ie Rat Face on G before he scored the SHG
You are looking for rhyme and reason where none exist. The calls and non calls last night were maddening.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

how about the non call on the delay of game penalty? That’s two games in a row that the refs missed 3-4 blatant calls on the Bruins in the 3rd period. The refs have been putrid.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Not when the games count, and he's right, giving the Bruins chances on the PP is suicide.
But if Fletcher is selling,and they're clearly out of the playoff race, well, sometimes you want to send a message for next season.

I think if I’m Morin, and the game is out of hand, as cliche as it is, I go right after Marchand and pound his face in. Suspension be damned. He’d be an instant fan favorite around the league.

Reactions: Tripod

Brett K

Mar 18, 2021
Hart is still leaky. He cost the Flyers against Boston this year including last night (could not make a big save). That is the difference of being ahead of Boston and now way behind them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

No AV team takes pounds of flesh at any point. It's one of the oldest complaints about him

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No AV team takes pounds of flesh at any point. It's one of the oldest complaints about him
Sometimes players take things into their own hands. What’s AV going to do? Bench them? There probably are some guys who would welcome that over playing wussified hockey. AV isn’t out there taking crap from the opposition while the officials look the other way.
The season is over. The best thing left for the guys to do is play for each other’s respect. The rest of the stuff is out of their hands and doesn’t matter as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad