GDT: #37| Apr. 4, 2013| Flyers at Maple Leafs| 7:00 p.m. ET

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I really enjoyed the celebration after the Rosehill goal. Coots hugging Gus, Rosehill, Hall and Huskins, probably thinking to himself who the **** are these guys?! :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Watched the replay of the 4th goal, saw no issues. Hall was outside the crease and was avoiding Reimer. The end of Reimer's stick entered Hall's skating path/space, which was outside the crease. Incidental contact for sure...does that warrant a waved off goal? Far, faaar from a penalty though.

The TSN video game summary conveniently :)sarcasm:) includes Kerry Fraser's take on the play. I agree with him that it was incidental contact that, while not penalty worthy, should have resulted in the goal being called off. If the roles were reversed, I would have been adamant that Bryzgalov had been interfered with.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The whole season Timonen and Schenn have looked a class above everyone else on our blueline.

That's not quite accurate. Earlier in the season Kimmo was getting beat cleanly a lot on defense, and committing a ton of minor penalties. He also gave up a couple of penalty shots.

But he got better defensively as the season went on. Perhaps his foot started bothering him less. I would rather see him miss the Winnipeg game than play injured like he did against Montreal on Feb. 16th after leaving the game against New Jersey the night before with a lower body injury. He was awful in that one.

Last edited:

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
That's not quite accurate. Earlier in the season Kimmo was getting beat cleanly a lot on defense, and committing a ton of minor penalties. He also gave up a couple of penalty shots.

But he got better defensively as the season went on. Perhaps his foot started bothering him less. I would rather see him miss the Winnipeg game than play injured like he did against Montreal on Feb. 16th after leaving the game against New Jersey the night before with a lower body injury. He was awful in that one.

Recently though, it's like he's shaved a good few years off his age. Some great performances. Even earlier in the season when he was making mistakes, he was still one of the better D-men on the team. I think Grossmann has had a good year. Sure, he's not good offensively, but in his own zone, he does the simple things well. Looking forward to getting him back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Kimmo may not have been great defensively, but he was the only D man who could start a rush, a great mover of the puck on the PP, and a good PKer, pretty valuable really.

If I remember correctly quite a few of those penalties were his partner getting beat, Kimmo having to hook or slash from behind to not allow an uncontested shot from 3 yards out. But yeh, he had some pretty awful ones as well where he was beaten badly.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Trade deadline passes without Couturier being moved:

Last two games:
1G 2 A + 1

Last night was the kind of production and effort I had been anticipating this season from guys like Sean, B Schenn, L Schenn. Guys like Hall, Rosehill, and Huskins whom I expected nothing from stepped up last night. Great all around gutsy win. 4 in a row and just a few points out.

image.png

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The TSN video game summary conveniently :)sarcasm:) includes Kerry Fraser's take on the play. I agree with him that it was incidental contact that, while not penalty worthy, should have resulted in the goal being called off. If the roles were reversed, I would have been adamant that Bryzgalov had been interfered with.
I would have agreed if it were not for Reimer being outside the blue paint. But he was, so I don't see it as interference.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
One of the coolest things last night was the Schenn Brother's post game interview. To see the two of them there smiling and having fun after a hard fought game, it was rather enjoyable. :D

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Haha yeah I poked through their GDT, pretty incredible. They got a chance to play a defense lead by Luke Schenn and Ken Hustkins... but the reason they lost is because of a "missed" goalie interference call on one of the four goals scored against them. I guess 3-3 is a win for the home team now.

Just saw it again.. I feel like the shot would have went in anyway. even if he wasn't bumped. lol

Yukon Cornelius*

Oh how I'd missed seeing my beloved Flyers live and in the flesh

Flyers have become so much more active with their sticks in the defensive zone, on the PK and on the forecheck. The results show.

Whether it was out of necessity because of the injuries or deliberately because of a talking to from above, Lavi has finally altered/modified his system to accommodate the personnel on the ice. The "D" aren't pinching nearly as much as before and overall the Flyers look to be incorporating a more traditional approach to team D. The results show.

The PP frankly looks awesome: The crispness of the passes, the movement of the skaters, Simmonds/Hartnell creating/making space up front. Irregardless of this season's outcome, this variation of the PP will be lethal next season as well. It's very difficult to defend and you see, not just guys like Kimmo and G but everyone making in game reads and adjustments to the other team's defensive positioning.

Some guys really caught my attention last night: Gervais, both Schenns, Couts. Taking Brayden out of the conversation, the other three seem to have taken a page from the Pronger/Kimmo school "Rocking Chair" style D. I was really impressed with all 3's defensive poise and positioning last night. I was very impressed with Brayden Schenn last night. His game is starting to blossom into that projected gritty two-way Mike Richards type player as advertised. His emergence really anchors that 2nd line and caused fits for the Leafs defensive matchups. You can also see the immediate benefits for a guy like G and the top line in terms of the other team unsure on who to pair assign to what line. Again, looking forward, our top 6 is starting to come together and when you factor in their ages, the Flyers top 2 lines are going to be lethal for years to come.

I think, on some level, the injuries are a mixed blessing. A player like "Gus" is a classic example of a guy who's going to have growing pains and potential costly turnovers right in front of your eyes but he's also a guy that needs the minutes at the NHL level to overcome those mistakes and break through. You can see Gus analyzing the play both on and off the ice and learning as the game goes along. Management and coaching have to show him more patience and make a commitment to him. He's potentially a #3 D (a stretch, I know), I was very impressed with his play, instincts and hockey acumen last night.

There was a suggestion here a few nights ago that a certain type of criticism directed towards Bryz shows a lack of understanding towards the position. Well, that may be but I'm a former goalie who played at a very high level in Quebec, I've been around the game my whole life and I now coach minor hockey and I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two in my day. The one thing televised hockey, in almost all its years, has never conveyed to the viewer is body language. Sure, sometimes an announcer brings it up but when you're at a live game, it's so perceptible, almost ominous. I like Bryz, I really do. I'm a Flyers fan for a myriad of reasons, the least of which not being that the organization's history is riddled with colourful characters and outspoken minds. That being said, I cannot, for the life of me, as the expression goes, remember a goalie who's body language was as God awful as his. I was shocked as to how noticeable it is during the game, during the TV timeouts. During the first intermission, I ran into a friend who is the owner/operator of a local rink here in Toronto. That's all we could talk about. It's right there! You can see it on the player's faces, guys like Kimmo, even G, they don't like him and you can see they don't have any confidence in him and don't want to play for him. I'm sure some will cite fatigue but these Irish eyes are not mistaken, the body language doesn't lie, when you've been around the game you can spot when it's mental and not physical. Costly mistake tangents aside, he simply is not the guy for this team and it's right there for all to see. I have little doubt, after watching last night's game that Bryz is going to be bought out this summer and that a plan is most likely already in place.

All in all, It was a great game to have gone to. If they fall short of making the playoffs, if nothing else, this run has shown the direction we're headed, the strength of our offensive core and the priorities for the upcoming off season.

I can only imagine the euphoria and personal pride I would feel If I could see them play live each and every game.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Good game last night by your guys. I haven't seen the Flyers since they last played the Leafs, and they were a much better team. I was particularly impressed by the physicality of the Flyers; they put the Leafs on their heels a few times during the game, and it cost them.

Although missing Lupul will hurt the Leafs, there was nothing malicious about the hit. He got sandwiched and got unlucky. As a Leafs fan, I hope he's back in time for the playoffs.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Hey guys. How have lauridsen played so far? Sorry if you already discussed it. Didn't have time to go through the whole thread. Congrats on the win
He sucked the first three games, but was really good yesterday.

Haha yeah I poked through their GDT, pretty incredible. They got a chance to play a defense lead by Luke Schenn and Ken Hustkins... but the reason they lost is because of a "missed" goalie interference call on one of the four goals scored against them. I guess 3-3 is a win for the home team now.
They are probably as right in blaming the loss on the "missed call" than you are in thinking the game would then end up 3-3.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
When we traded JVR for L. Schenn, I must say I was disappoonted. But I'm not anymore. I really like what I've seen out of him. Glad we got him.

I was. I like Schenn and glad he is a flyer, but he is not the type of dman we need. As you see we consistently get pinned in our own zone by the lack of mobility of our defenders to skate the puck out of our zone. Teams play the passing lanes and dare us to try to skate the puck out of the zone and strip us if we do.

What we needed to trade jvr for was a very mobile puck handling dman like a Del Zotto or a Slava voynov. The only reason why we got Schenn was because of his last name and if you think otherwise you are wrong. If luke and Brayden weren't brothers luke would not be a flyer

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Gustafsson-Huskins has looked like a pretty solid pairing. The Gus-Gervias pairing was terrible. Funny how certain players work better with others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad