35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is it not somewhat concerning that a high 2nd round pick from last year's draft did not make their team?
If I had to guess, it has nothing (or very little) to do with him as a player and everything to do with not having played a game in 7+ months. He's also in America and they didn't pick anyone from outside Finland, most likely because they would not be able to participate in the team's pre-tournament procedures related to covid such as quarantining both in Finland and Canada as well as almost daily testing from the beginning of camp this Sunday. Now, if he was the best Finnish D available the management might do anything to get him there but that's not the case since it's just way too much of a challenge. Also we don't know if Denver would even release him because he probably should have already left for Finland (quarantine at arrival) missing all of their games until January.

In any case, this is not concerning at all IMO. Now we've just got to hope that Denver does not face any major covid suspensions like some of the other teams have.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Not so concerned about the WJC omission.

Very concerned about Tuomisto's skating however. I don't think he's ever going to be a plus skater. Hopefully a couple years in Denver can bring him to an average skater in four directions, because right now it's a pretty glaring minus.

Reactions: Killerjas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not so concerned about the WJC omission.

Very concerned about Tuomisto's skating however. I don't think he's ever going to be a plus skater. Hopefully a couple years in Denver can bring him to an average skater in four directions, because right now it's a pretty glaring minus.

This is a bit too simplistic for my liking. He clearly has some issues with power and explosiveness. You are correct that these need to materially improve for him to have any shot at being a legit prospect. Other parts of his skating, and the basic structure of his skating are not nearly as bad as some have suggested. Again, even these other aspects need to improve, but not nearly to the degree that his explosiveness needs to improve.

North Dakota - DU should be a good game tonight.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
he matter is that Tuomisto is very offensively gifted and has a great shot from the point. But he also needs to improve both his skating speed and 4 directional agility.

He seems like the kind of prospect that should do at least 3 years in college and improve his skating there. NCAA is a very good skating league and Denver is a good school to work on his weakpoints at.

His biggest case could be as a cap bargain.

- Like, his career strength as PP quarterback.
- Takes 4 years at college.
- Will be 2 years at ELC as 23-24 year old like Parayko and could be our 1st PP quarterback. Those guys are pricy.

So Tuomisto could be the guy (when Red Wings will be at their prime), who will enter in the team as cap bargain and high-producing PP defenceman. With 925k ELC. It's the same with all guys who'll go to college.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His biggest case could be as a cap bargain.

- Like, his career strength as PP quarterback.
- Takes 4 years at college.
- Will be 2 years at ELC as 23-24 year old like Parayko and could be our 1st PP quarterback. Those guys are pricy.

So Tuomisto could be the guy (when Red Wings will be at their prime), who will enter in the team as cap bargain and high-producing PP defenceman. With 925k ELC. It's the same with all guys who'll go to college.
4 years in college makes him UFA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If that's true, then it still shouldn't be an issue to sign him for cheap, considering he has no NHL resume. Maybe not ELC cheap, but close I'd imagine, i.e. $1.2 ?...I could be way off on this one though since it's not my forte.
The issue is that any team can sign him at that point. The Wings retain his rights until Aug 15th of his 4th year.

CBA:

(c) College Players.
  1. (i) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
  2. (ii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
@Gniwder

I'm confident Yzerman can get him signed...if not, not a huge loss (as of now). I want players that want to be here, not because we're outbidding other teams. I understand with Top UFA's you gotta play ball a bit, but he's not a PPG vet.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oh, negative news. You must love carrying them all the time in here.

Rarely these guys go to UFA.

Mostly they will join the team they have had training camps like Colton Parayko.
I was simply explaining the CBA since he said 4 years (not me). You are welcome to put me on ignore if you want.

Whether or not they go UFA depends on how ready they are for the NHL. They rarely leave to play in the AHL.

If Tuo winds up being a long term project, he just might do all 4 years. I haven't watched him, so I'm not going to speculate if he does or doesn't. The Wings do have a player who completed 4 years, Biega. He signed with the team that drafted him after he graduated.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
@Gniwder

I'm confident Yzerman can get him signed...if not, not a huge loss (as of now). I want players that want to be here, not because we're outbidding other teams. I understand with Top UFA's you gotta play ball a bit, but he's not a PPG vet.
Maybe he won't complete 4 years... I don't watch him at all so I can't speculate.

I did a quick study a while back, I remember about half of the players to complete college signed with the team that drafted the player.

I was just explaining the CBA since you said 4 years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Is it not somewhat concerning that a high 2nd round pick from last year's draft did not make their team?

It is exactly that - somewhat concerning.
Unless you're hearing something from Denver or Tuomisto saying he declined or they declined it... assume that he simply didn't make the team.

Tuomisto chose a very, very strange route to pro hockey.
Sometimes, you'd want your high second round pick from Europe playing in the AHL in his D+2 year. Instead, he's starting his freshman year in college and almost nobody knows what we have yet - because he was a man among boys in a really weak league last year.
If he's playing that way in the NCAA by the end of this season - then we've got something.

It sure would have been nice to see him beat out the D+3 third rounders and make the WJC team and shine against his peers.

With prospects, the longer you have to go without seeing that upside, the more you wonder if it might not be that high.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Maybe he won't complete 4 years... I don't watch him at all so I can't speculate.

I did a quick study a while back, I remember about half of the players to complete college signed with the team that drafted the player.

I was just explaining the CBA since you said 4 years.
Except I never said 4 years, you did 2x. Henkka did 1x. You seem to confuse my posts with other posters often...breathe, slow down, listen to some Bob Marley or something.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Except I never said 4 years, you did 2x. Henkka did 1x. You seem to confuse my posts with other posters often...breathe, slow down, listen to some Bob Marley or something.
Henkka did and I replied to his post, where's the confusion?

I said 4 years makes him UFA, which is a CBA fact. I did not project 4 years.

Seems like you're just interjecting in a conversation to be a ****.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Henkka did and I replied to his post, where's the confusion?

I said 4 years makes him UFA, which is a CBA fact. I did not project 4 years.

Seems like you're just interjecting in a conversation to be a ****.
Seems like You're Not reading again. You claimed I said 4 years, which I didn't. But thanks for the attack. Ciao.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You said I was being negative again.... when all I did was explain teh CBA? WHo's attacking whom?
WTH? I correct your last post & you come up with another claim, which I didn't say? (Again!...for the 4th or 5th time in the last several days). You've confused me with another poster!

I'm done with this conversation, no need to reply.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is the thoughtful commentary that keeps me coming back to this board.

Haha.
Go back and listen to Hakan's interview on draft day. He clearly says Tyler had a crush on the guy.
He has so many great things to say about some of the other Red Wings' picks like Grewe and Johansson and Soderblom, but just had some routine things to say about Tuomisto.
If Tuomisto doesn't make it, I think I'm sticking it to Wright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad