35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Erilainen polku huipulle! Suomalainen NHL-lupaus kieltäytyi Liiga-tarjouksista: "Ei helppo päätös" | Leijonat

Different path on the top - Finnish NHL prospect refused to sign at Liiga

Detroit Red Wings' Finnish prospect Antti Tuomisto will be seen in the coming season in Finland. However, he does not play in the Finnish Top League.

A young defenceman confirmed to Leijonat.com that he would move to the NCAA University Series for the season 2020-21. As a result, the prospect will still be playing in the Junior League for the upcoming season. There are strict college hockey rules in the background: You cannot play in the series if there's any professional matches under the belt.

Tuomisto would already have enough skills for the men's League. The decision to refuse professional deals is never easy.

- It wasn't really an easy decision. That has already been in the mind. I thought it was the best option for me.
There's good North American hockey. And the school comes as a plus, Tuomisto says.

You can smell from the responses that the choice has been carefully considered. The big thing on the university path is education that helps after a hockey career.

- But there is still a lot of life left after the playing career. That's an important thing. It's good to have
something to think about for that time as well.

Few 18-year-olds think this far and in a mature way. Tuomisto admits that there was an opportunity to play League with Porin Ässät which did attract him.

- It made it a difficult decision - of course it would have been nice to play in the adult series. But I saw that there was no emergency for that yet. This is the right solution for me.

Hints and tips from Detroit

Tuomisto's summer has already been busy and full of events. Defenceman prospect was called to Detroit in the second round. Juggernaut defenceman admits that the early draft round surprised.

Tuomisto watched the draft show at home through a TV stand. At some point, his name and the Detroit Red Wings appeared on the screen.

- I was home with my family. When the name was shouted, nothing even really spun in my mind. It was a great moment and getting drafted is another step closer to the NHL.

The Finn also had time to visit the NHL club's developmental camp. Getting to know the Detroit organization was informative.

- Really great experience. Did saw a bit how things go in North America. I learned a lot at camp - it was great to get involved.

- I got quite a few skating tips. And with physics training came some instructions - it's a big deal for development. That's where I got good advice.

Red Wings management has described that you're a big guy who plays rough and physically - do you think they will be your strengths in the future?

- This tall guy needs more mass and strength. Heh, but that's a pretty good description, Tuomisto grins.

---------------------------

Translated this mostly with google translate. Could be something weird still there. :)

I love this sentence.

Defenceman prospect was called to Detroit in the second round. Juggernaut defenceman admits that the early draft round surprised.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Tuomisto is an interesting case here. I've got to be honest, I didn't love his draft profile, didn't love how he looked at camp, and don't love his path from Finland to college.

Despite all of this, he seems like a good kid and I'd love to see him succeed. It's just a bit frustrating to have so many questions marks for a guy taken just outside the first round. When you compare Tuomisto to Veleno, McIsaac, and Bergrren, it's hard not to be suspicious. Best of luck to him though.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Tuomisto is an interesting case here. I've got to be honest, I didn't love his draft profile, didn't love how he looked at camp, and don't love his path from Finland to college.

Despite all of this, he seems like a good kid and I'd love to see him succeed. It's just a bit frustrating to have so many questions marks for a guy taken just outside the first round. When you compare Tuomisto to Veleno, McIsaac, and Bergrren, it's hard not to be suspicious. Best of luck to him though.
Like what? I still don't know too much about him except he produces points, like a lot of them.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's got a couple of shift-by-shift videos available for the public over at ProspectShifts.com
IIRC, his videos were locked around draft time

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
@JokkeNevalainen
· 7h
RHD Antti Tuomisto (DET) had an assist today. His shot from the blue line was deflected in.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Hopefully now people see that Tuomisto is a skilled offensive defenseman, not a defensive type. His primary weakness is his skating, but it sounds like he's getting better.
as long as he has smarts -hands - ruggedness - good size he can be excellent without great skating

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The draft today made me compare the '19 draft and found this breakdown video on Tuomisto.

He had an impressive 49 points in 48 games. Not too shabby! He's still a work in progress and has years to go and a lot of work ahead of him before reaching the NHL.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Antti Tuomisto started games at Denver yesterday. Denver lost 1-2 for Minnesota-Duluth.

Some data:
College Hockey Analytics

There's no ice-time information, but seems to be that he has had some shot attempts on PP.

Tuomisto was not selected to Finalnd U20 roster today. When looking on that team that defence is full of guys who play regularily at Liiga and there's also great PP quarterback Heinola. That could have been Tuomisto's biggest strentgh to run the PP, but hasn't played any games for 9 months and Heinola is thriwing at Liiga. Heinola also got some taste from NHL at last season, so he is pretty big "norris" role defenceman and top guy for Finland.

Nice to see that Tuomisto has another older Finn there as a mentor.

Jaakko Heikkinen at eliteprospects.com

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Antti Tuomisto started games at Denver yesterday. Denver lost 1-2 for Minnesota-Duluth.

Some data:
College Hockey Analytics

There's no ice-time information, but seems to be that he has had some shot attempts on PP.

Tuomisto was not selected to Finalnd U20 roster today. When looking on that team that defence is full of guys who play regularily at Liiga and there's also great PP quarterback Heinola. That could have been Tuomisto's biggest strentgh to run the PP, but hasn't played any games for 9 months and Heinola is thriwing at Liiga. Heinola also got some taste from NHL at last season, so he is pretty big "norris" role defenceman and top guy for Finland.

Nice to see that Tuomisto has another older Finn there as a mentor.

Jaakko Heikkinen at eliteprospects.com

Is it not somewhat concerning that a high 2nd round pick from last year's draft did not make their team?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Is it not somewhat concerning that a high 2nd round pick from last year's draft did not make their team?

I don't think so. Henkka posted their defense lineup in the everything finnish thread, and it's almost entirely 5'11"/6'0" guys that are very good skaters.

Fact of the matter is that Tuomisto is very offensively gifted and has a great shot from the point. But he also needs to improve both his skating speed and 4 directional agility.

He seems like the kind of prospect that should do at least 3 years in college and improve his skating there. NCAA is a very good skating league and Denver is a good school to work on his weakpoints at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad