Post-Game Talk: #34 | Red Wings 3 at FLYERS 4 | Wed., Dec. 20, 2017, 8:00 pm ET

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Going Provy-Amac and Hagg-Gudas in the last 5 min is our best personal. Once the other goalie gets pulled most the game is below and in front of our net. Say what you want about hagg, but he is very strong in those areas. He is less of a liability at the end of the game then Ghost and Sanheim (right now atleast)

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Going Provy-Amac and Hagg-Gudas in the last 5 min is our best personal. Once the other goalie gets pulled most the game is below and in front of our net. Say what you want about hagg, but he is very strong in those areas. He is less of a liability at the end of the game then Ghost and Sanheim (right now atleast)
I mean, there might be a causal relationship between some of those players and them playing in their own end. How often do Provorov and Ghost play in their own end when they play together?

Reactions: Magua

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have wondered if that is really why they invented Embellishment. You’re a ref, your hand goes up, then you discover you’ve been duped.

Definitely rights that particular wrong, but it also gives them an out of sorts in situations like this.

I don't think it was embellished, but neither did Voracek do anything outside of the standard enforced in the game. This let them"correct" themselves.

Reactions: JXC

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When he does it when they have a late lead it’s not so bad. When he does it in a tie game it makes me want to put my fist through the TV.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I mean, there might be a causal relationship between some of those players and them playing in their own end. How often do Provorov and Ghost play in their own end when they play together?

I'd like to see Ghost double shifted now and then, esp on off zone starts, but don't want to see him close a game out.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Good analysis.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
When he does it when they have a late lead it’s not so bad. When he does it in a tie game it makes me want to put my fist through the TV.

if Haks does in fact survive the season AND is the coach for next year.. i fully suspect TK will be traded

I liked 20-21-11 together. I don't know what their TOI was, but seemed like it was a okay amount. Think TK low ice time tonight had more to do with 15-21 being bad then him. You cant add TK to top 6 in the third to get ice time, and the 22-19-40 line was playing decent, and their slow-cycle-grind game doesnt fit TK style.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'd like to see Ghost double shifted now and then, esp on off zone starts, but don't want to see him close a game out.
I don't disagree that he's not the optimal guy to close a game out, but I'd take my chances with him over double shifting MacDonald. MacDonald was single handedly responsible for a plethora of scoring chances tonight, yet Ghost gets benched when he was terrific, even in the defensive zone. Ghost gets a reputation for being bad defensively mostly from the coaching staff's usage of him. Limiting his time in the last 5 minutes with a lead? Sure. With 15 minutes left? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Magua and Foggy14

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sanheim 79% CF 5v5, but benched with about 6 minutes left because AA got a stick on his attempted keep.

Patrick looked much better. Very encouraging. Also 9/12 on faceoffs.

Poor TK. :(

1WV5lcv.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was a solid win, but exposed what we know, this is an average team that has to play hard every night to have a chance. They're not talented enough to glide through games, even against less talented teams.
Weise has actually looked decent the last few games, Weal I though was meh. Patrick still doesn't have any burst.
Filppula was pretty bad until the clear with 30 second left, all is not forgiven, but that does buy him a little grace.

I know people hate MacDonald being paired with Provorov, but it works for now, next year I hope they move on.
Hagg played a first rate game, not just the goal but he had two more shots on goal that led to rebounds and scoring chances. He's starting to play with more confidence, and that's encouraging him to open up his game.
Provorov was a dominating force at both ends, hopefully he's getting over his sophomore slump and taking it to the next (Doughty) level.

Gudas was more active but still looks a bit rusty. Had trouble getting shots on goal, and a couple block shots sent the puck the other way.
Sanheim is still making mistakes, though the first one was more of a mixup with Gudas, it's up to Gudas as the veteran to communicate.

Konecny and Laughton didn't show much, if you want PT, make good things happen, not turnovers.
Konecny had one good sequence where he did a Voracek, and a rush on goal that was anti-climatic, but that was it.
Laughton was sloppy which is what got them benched.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don't disagree that he's not the optimal guy to close a game out, but I'd take my chances with him over double shifting MacDonald. MacDonald was single handedly responsible for a plethora of scoring chances tonight, yet Ghost gets benched when he was terrific, even in the defensive zone. Ghost gets a reputation for being bad defensively mostly from the coaching staff's usage of him. Limiting his time in the last 5 minutes with a lead? Sure. With 15 minutes left? Absolutely not.

It’s called #Haklogic. You can take a course on it at UND for further understanding

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Who wants to talk about Ghost outmuscling Z, then moving the puck out of the zone the moment he had a chance to touch it? What a combination of nu-D and old school on one shift.

And he got a little frisky with Zetterberg along the boards. Not taking the extra shots from the senior citizen.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
And he got a little frisky with Zetterberg along the boards. Not taking the extra shots from the senior citizen.

Has Zetterberg been this poor all year? Haven’t watched many Det games but I think it’s time he joins all his swed buddies in Stockholm for a couple cold ones

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
It was a solid win, but exposed what we know, this is an average team that has to play hard every night to have a chance. They're not talented enough to glide through games, even against less talented teams.
Weise has actually looked decent the last few games, Weal I though was meh. Patrick still doesn't have any burst.
Filppula was pretty bad until the clear with 30 second left, all is not forgiven, but that does buy him a little grace.

I know people hate MacDonald being paired with Provorov, but it works for now, next year I hope they move on.
Hagg played a first rate game, not just the goal but he had two more shots on goal that led to rebounds and scoring chances. He's starting to play with more confidence, and that's encouraging him to open up his game.
Provorov was a dominating force at both ends, hopefully he's getting over his sophomore slump and taking it to the next (Doughty) level.

Gudas was more active but still looks a bit rusty. Had trouble getting shots on goal, and a couple block shots sent the puck the other way.
Sanheim is still making mistakes, though the first one was more of a mixup with Gudas, it's up to Gudas as the veteran to communicate.

Konecny and Laughton didn't show much, if you want PT, make good things happen, not turnovers.
Konecny had one good sequence where he did a Voracek, and a rush on goal that was anti-climatic, but that was it.
Laughton was sloppy which is what got them benched.

I like Jell-O.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Has Zetterberg been this poor all year? Haven’t watched many Det games but I think it’s time he joins all his swed buddies in Stockholm for a couple cold ones

He's not the same Z from old. But it's not like he's hurting them.

I think he's on record saying 2 or more seasons after this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad