Post-Game Talk: #34| Predators 2 at Flyers 1 (1-0 in shootout)| Monday, Dec. 19, 2016

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Said it during the streak that the team was winning in spite of Hakstol. He really is just not a good game manager. We were playing to lose that entire 3rd period. We play to lose anytime we have a lead in the third, it's just embarrassing. Love that they tied the game and he puts the wonder twins out there next shift. Because they'll totally swing the momentum back to our side :laugh: It's crazy that nhl head coaches can't see how much they are hurting their team. Do they even watch tape?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Nice sight, Mason with a 2.6 GAA and a .908 SV%. At least he's into respectable territory

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bellemare in OT is really starting to **** me off

I think Couturier will take one of the top three center spots in OT soon.

Last night I believe it was:

Ghost-G-Voracek
Provorov-Schenn-Simmonds
MDZ-Bellemare-Konecny

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I know the Flyers are coming off of a 10 game win streak. I know that Dave Hakstol was the Flyers coach during that time. I believe that Hakstol had more to do with the Flyers losses than he did their wins. Very specifically, I believe he is the primary reason that the Flyers lost to the Predators tonight. Playing their worst players for roughly half of the last fiver or six minutes of a tie game, after some of the crap he has already pulled, is borderline means for dismissal. Jesus I hate him. The Flyers just got badly outcoached by a coach that should still be their coach.

The childish overreactions after losses never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes:

The team lost because they couldn't score a goal at 5 on 4, 5 on 3, or 3 on 3. That's on the players on those units, not the coach.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully Hextall is working the phones over the break and we see a move we like after X-Mas.

But most likely, Leier is just demoted.

They have to demote Leier, AND waive Gordon or Schultz or make some other move to make room for Couturier and Read.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The childish overreactions after losses never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes:

The team lost because they couldn't score a goal at 5 on 4, 5 on 3, or 3 on 3. That's on the players on those units, not the coach.

After losses, during losses, before losses, and even wins too. It never ends.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Couturier will take one of the top three center spots in OT soon.

Last night I believe it was:

Ghost-G-Voracek
Provorov-Schenn-Simmonds
MDZ-Bellemare-Konecny

Honestly, Konecny looked lost in the D-zone out there. I can see why he doesn't play. If you have Couts that's different, but PEB isn't Couturier and Konecny's exposure is even worse.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
They have to demote Leier, AND waive Gordon or Schultz or make some other move to make room for Couturier and Read.

Oddly enough, CapFriendly answered a tweet that Read & Couturier are not on LTIR. Which does make the cap management easier. Roster management like you said, is not.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Oddly enough, CapFriendly answered a tweet that Read & Couturier are not on LTIR. Which does make the cap management easier. Roster management like you said, is not.

Yeh, without a trade there are going to have to be two players sent down to get to the 23 man roster.

I imagine they have 8 Dmen... and only waiver exempt players are Leier, Lyubimov and Ghost. Though Gordon, VandeVelde and Bellemare could all be sent down with no cap implications.

Though Cap should actually look ok too when Neuvy comes off LTIR... will be about 800k under with 23 men. Which will be nice in terms of accruing space as season goes on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A trade is going to come.

Hextall has been gradually shedding veterans the last two years, he just refuses to panic like the fans, and waits until he can get some value.

Size matters, but like any other skill, it's not the be all and end all, or why Morin will make a big difference but L Schenn and Grossman are gone. Leverage matters too, Gudas and Provorov aren't huge, but they're solidly built and play bigger than their size.

It's a long season, the more minutes your checkers can play against top lines the fewer minutes your top players have to be checkers, and they can both focus on offense and play fewer minutes overall. Ideally, you not only want to make the playoffs, you want to go into them healthy and with fresh legs.

When fans blame the coach for losses and the players for wins on a winning team, I ignore the fans.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would not surprise me if they sent him down.

He was a very, very good bottom sixer once upon a time, but he is not that player anymore from what we have seen.

I thought he looked OK on the PK, but ES he was a cipher.
But he was basically signed as a stopgap so no big deal.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Konecny took a beating out there tonight and Wayne stopped more shots than Rinne. Seems like lately when our point shots hit the net, they're hitting our screens. Bad luck more than anything I guess.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Konecny took a beating out there tonight and Wayne stopped more shots than Rinne. Seems like lately when our point shots hit the net, they're hitting our screens. Bad luck more than anything I guess.

I'd like to see a little more protection given to TK out there.

I especially didn't like the big hit after the offsides whistle going unpunished.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd like to see a little more protection given to TK out there.

I especially didn't like the big hit after the offsides whistle going unpunished.

I didn't like that either. Or the fact that Johansen got away with chirping - while sitting on the bench, behind the ref. But the latter can be explained by it being a close game and no one being willing to give it away with a stupid penalty - I can live with that. But the Konecny one I didn't like, and that's twice recently that yard dogs have gotten away with taking cheap shots at him.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
After losses, during losses, before losses, and even wins too. It never ends.

Better to accept ineptitude rather than complain about it. Blows my mind that people think playing not to lose in the 3rd period is a great strategy and going to bode well in the playoffs. There isn't any logic / rationale in the ideology that playing not to lose is a great way to win.

Last edited:

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Better to accept ineptitude rather than complain about it. Blows my mind that people they playing not to lose in the 3rd period is a great strategy and going to bode well in the playoffs. There isn't any logic / rationale in the ideology that playing not to lose is a great way to win.
Hey man he won ten games in a row. This means he's safe for at least 2 years here regardless if his 3rd period management with a lead blows.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
Better to accept ineptitude rather than complain about it. Blows my mind that people think playing not to lose in the 3rd period is a great strategy and going to bode well in the playoffs. There isn't any logic / rationale in the ideology that playing not to lose is a great way to win.

Yeah, they could have won 11 games during that 10 game winning streak if only Hakstol had coached to win! How dare he!

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Mason's last 5 games:

.968 lost
.926 lost
.897 won
.913 won
.848 won

Proof that hockey is a team game.

I see that stat, and I blame Mason for having too high a save percentage. It's a confidence thing. When Mason stops the puck at such a high rate, the rest of the team takes the foot off the gas and scores less goals. Obviously had Mason given up more goals, preferably early in the game, the rest of the team would have to respond by scoring more themselves (the more time on the clock they realize this, the better.)

Am I the only one who sees this? Most likely yes, because this is all rubbish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad