Post-Game Talk: #34| Predators 2 at Flyers 1 (1-0 in shootout)| Monday, Dec. 19, 2016

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last two games are pretty much the reverse of several games over the 10 game win streak:

We outplayed both Dallas and Nashville but did not get the bounces.

During the streak there were ~4 games where they were outplayed but got bounces and won.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm continually baffled to why I don't see Ghost play at all for the last five minutes of a game. This team continually gets ragged doll when the coach decides it time to lock the game down with a one goal lead. :shakehead

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Last two games are pretty much the reverse of several games over the 10 game win streak:

We outplayed both Dallas and Nashville but did not get the bounces.

During the streak there were ~4 games where they were outplayed but got bounces and won.
It's frustrating, but at least it was against the west. The Washington game is going to be huge.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Coots and Read came back and we scratched VdV and Gordon, we would have 4 good lines.

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Konecny - Couturier - Simmonds
Read - Schenn - Weise
Leier - Cousins - Lyubimov
Bellemare

Waive VandeVelde & Gordon. That would be the best lineup imo. It has a zero percent chance of happening though unfortunately.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm continually baffled to why I don't see Ghost play at all for the last five minutes of a game. This team continually gets ragged doll when the coach decides it time to lock the game down with a one goal lead. :shakehead

Constantly benches Ghost late when we have a lead , makes no sense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Konecny - Couturier - Simmonds
Read - Schenn - Weise
Leier - Cousins - Lyubimov
Bellemare

Waive VandeVelde & Gordon. That would be the best lineup imo. It has a zero percent chance of happening though unfortunately.

Or a bottom 6 of

58 - 25 -10
24 - 78 -13

Would also work

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Bill Clement says MacDonald has seen the last of the minors. Has been one of the best players on the Flyers. :D
Why? You might actually win a game if you put him on the ice.
Constantly benches Ghost late when we have a lead , makes no sense.
Lead? He was benched in a tie game. I don't get it.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Really? 1 point in 2 games and they're mentally fragile again?
We haven't had one big losing streak all season. They always bounce back. This is a mentally strong team.

I hope but they seemed frustrated the past couple of games. The PP is overthinking, their passing is off, and their approach to the shootout tonight showed no confidence.

Like I said hopefully they bounce back, but I dont like what I am seeing.

It also doesnt help how insanely competitive this division is.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I hope but they seemed frustrated the past couple of games. The PP is overthinking, their passing is off, and their approach to the shootout tonight showed no confidence.

Like I said hopefully they bounce back, but I dont like what I am seeing.

It also doesnt help how insanely competitive this division is.
I think Washington on Wednesday will be a key game. Can't afford losing that one. That would really hurt.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Bill Clement says MacDonald has seen the last of the minors. Has been one of the best players on the Flyers. :D

Yeah I really don't get Hakstol, I've seen almost nothing that indicates he's a step above when it comes to coaching. The second unit is still garbage, the PK is average, and MacDonald plays way too freaking much (you don't get sent to the AHL and then become an all-star defender like some of these morons think (JJ/Clement/Therien). I'd be willing to bet any game they've played this year with a goal lead in the last five minutes in the 3rd the Flyers look terrible. Completely inept coaching, period.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I hate listening to this broadcast team speak. Every one of them are massive idiots.

I basically just hate every media member in the world at this point. TV, radio, online, print.... everything.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers should waive Schultz and Gordon...to keep Leier

Maybe some teams might be scared off by Schultz 2.25mil cap hit and don't put a claim in on him, only 10 teams could take on his cap hit without having to make a move, that would be the only way Leier would be able to stay

FrozenSherbet

Oct 1, 2016
I hate listening to this broadcast team speak. Every one of them are massive idiots.

I basically just hate every media member in the world at this point. TV, radio, online, print.... everything.

Boucher is the only one that I actually like when he occasionally does Flyers broadcasts. Unlike the rest of them, he doesn't go out of his way to say completely outlandish things. His comments tend to be much more subdued.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers should waive Schultz and Gordon...to keep Leier

Maybe some teams might be scared off by Schultz 2.25mil cap hit and don't put a claim in on him, only 10 teams could take on his cap hit without having to make a move, that would be the only way Leier would be able to stay

Hopefully Hextall is working the phones over the break and we see a move we like after X-Mas.

But most likely, Leier is just demoted.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Boucher is the only one that I actually like when he occasionally does Flyers broadcasts. Unlike the rest of them, he doesn't go out of his way to say completely outlandish things. His comments tend to be much more subdued.

He's fine so far, but that's because he's new and hasn't had the common sense sucked out of him yet.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Leier brings great energy in the O-zone, but if these guys aren't playing the scheme in the AHL, it takes time for them to get on the same page with the rest of the team. I think you'll see Hakstol gradually increase his ice time, I doubt he's going back, adds an explosive element to the bottom two lines, which sorely need it.

I think there's a simple reason Ghost doesn't play at the end of tight games, he gambles with passes (count on him for at least one "what the f--" pass per game) and he's too small to clear the crease.

On the other hand, MacDonald has trouble defending the blue line and is reluctant to engage in physical play - which is why I love Mr. Gudas, what he lacks in pure skill he makes up in nastiness and heart. You pay the tollkeeper when you bring the puck into the O-zone on his side of the ice.

Provorov is really getting aggressive on offense, guess he now has a feel for NHL speed and is more willing to gamble.

They looked pretty good the last two games, this evens out over a season, win some you should lose, lose some you should win, but play a lot of one goal games and eventually they'll go both ways. Top teams stay out of one goal games by burying the opposition on a regular basis. Flyers aren't there yet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That gamblin' Ghost. If he could clear that damn crease he wouldn't have allowed any shot attempts instead of 3. Needs more practice and gym time.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Went to the game tonight:

Leier was very noticeable. Provorov was good, though he could use to be a little more aggressive offensively, but I get it. It is not like his D-partner is a rock back there. Ghost absorbs so much pressure in the o-zone it is crazy. He isn't scoring as much but, man when he is out in the offensive zone you can feel the pressure move in his direction. Voracek is our best player by a sizable margin, the guy controls the puck on such an elite level. I love Giroux, but Voracek is currently out best player.

Bellemare and MacDonald had bad games. Also, normally, the first guy on a forecheck takes the body and the proceeding forecheckers go for the puck. Even when Schenn is the 2nd or 3rd guy he still goes for the body. Not a great effort from him tonight. Also Del Zotto is a shell of what we saw last year. The guy is approaching MacDonald levels in my opinion.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He is getting there. Plus we know a bunch of those games where he was below a good level, the D were still allowing glorious chances that he had little chance in some goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad