Post-Game Talk: #34| Predators 2 at Flyers 1 (1-0 in shootout)| Monday, Dec. 19, 2016

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Mason has turned it around. Still crazy though that he's about to be the 3rd most successful goalie in franchise history pretty soon.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That gamblin' Ghost. If he could clear that damn crease he wouldn't have allowed any shot attempts instead of 3. Needs more practice and gym time.

Well I for one would rather have a bad puck mover who can push people around over a guy who can skate and move the puck but isn't strong like a bull.

Should replace Ghost with a Grossmann type who can be trusted late in games. Yep way better. Also I don't like Ghosts risky passes. No other defensemen do that. Nope. Not at all.

It's definitely better to bench offensive defensemen so we can turtle. Since that always works. People say the best defense is a good offense but nahhhhhhhhhhh.

I hope my sarcasm is thick enough to properly convey the condescending tone Im going for.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bellemare in OT is really starting to **** me off

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Well I for one would rather have a bad puck mover who can push people around over a guy who can skate and move the puck but isn't strong like a bull.

Should replace Ghost with a Grossmann type who can be trusted late in games. Yep way better. Also I don't like Ghosts risky passes. No other defensemen do that. Nope. Not at all.

It's definitely better to bench offensive defensemen so we can turtle. Since that always works. People say the best defense is a good offense but nahhhhhhhhhhh.

I hope my sarcasm is thick enough to properly convey the condescending tone Im going for.

At least Grossmann could hit the net.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bill Clement says MacDonald has seen the last of the minors. Has been one of the best players on the Flyers. :D

Why? You might actually win a game if you put him on the ice.

Lead? He was benched in a tie game. I don't get it.

Ghost saw the 4th least ice time on the team 5v5. Bottom 3 were the 4th line -- who also looked great fwiw minus Void Gordon.

I'm sorry but when Gostisbehere gets 3 minutes less ice time than VandeVelde in a 1 goal/tie game, that's a mistake. He was doing great tonight too. He was the furthest thing from poor. Generated a lot, allowed zilch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost saw the 4th least ice time on the team 5v5. Bottom 3 were the 4th line -- who also looked great fwiw minus Void Gordon.

I'm sorry but when Gostisbehere gets 3 minutes less ice time than VandeVelde in a 1 goal/tie game, that's a mistake. He was doing great tonight too. He was the furthest thing from poor. Generated a lot, allowed zilch.

Get used to this type of horse **** from the HC.

God forbid we have a coach that can coach a winning system AND manage his bench/lineup properly.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Get used to this type of horse **** from the HC.

God forbid we have a coach that can coach a winning system AND manage his bench/lineup properly.

The Wonder Twins cannot be destroyed, Bully, son of Rebel, by any craft that we here possess. The Twins were made in the fires of Mount Plug. Only there can they be unmade. They must be taken deep into Free Agency and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This whole size thing is a bunch of non sense anyways. How many players are realistically that much bigger than Ghost anyways? Most NHL players aren't that massive and generally are not swinging their weight around unless they are Dustin Byfuglien. I don't understand this crease clearing non sense either since you rarely see players knocked completely down out of a play in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This whole size thing is a bunch of non sense anyways. How many players are realistically that much bigger than Ghost anyways? Most NHL players aren't that massive and generally are not swinging their weight around unless they are Dustin Byfuglien. I don't understand this crease clearing not sense either since you really see players knock completely down out of a play in the offensive zone.

Really? Watch Voracek and Raffl v Konecny.
Size matters, especially in the corners and in the crease.
Konecny is game, but you can knock him over with a love tap.
It's just the difference between 180 and 200+ lbs.
Basic physics, force = mass x acceleration.
Now leverage can help but you still have Newton's second law.

Giroux has learned this and he's careful to avoid bigger guys in tight areas, though he does get careless with his stick (the tighter definition of slashing catches him at times).

This is why you need a mix of size and speed, even in today's game, small fast players are vulnerable to bigger, almost as fast players.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I know the Flyers are coming off of a 10 game win streak. I know that Dave Hakstol was the Flyers coach during that time. I believe that Hakstol had more to do with the Flyers losses than he did their wins. Very specifically, I believe he is the primary reason that the Flyers lost to the Predators tonight. Playing their worst players for roughly half of the last fiver or six minutes of a tie game, after some of the crap he has already pulled, is borderline means for dismissal. Jesus I hate him. The Flyers just got badly outcoached by a coach that should still be their coach.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Giroux has learned this and he's careful to avoid bigger guys in tight areas, though he does get careless with his stick (the tighter definition of slashing catches him at times).

This is why you need a mix of size and speed, even in today's game, small fast players are vulnerable to bigger, almost as fast players.

Then how did we beat Colorado, who averaged two inches taller and fifteen pounds heavier?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Things have a tendency of evening out. I'm not too upset with the point.

When Couturier and Read are back, I'd be inclined to try:

11 - 28 - 93
12 - 14 - 17
25 - 10 - 24
58 - 78 - 13

You can take Weise, Gordon, and VV and ship them to the Dutch league. Or rotate Weise and VV with Cousins, Leier, and Lyubimov. I don't really care. But I don't think Gordon belongs in the NHL.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Yes this might be why Eric Lindros was knocked around by players like Darius Kasparaitis and Scott Stevens who were quite undersized compared to him. The F = ma only applies when you're not taking into any sort of angular momentum in the equation, disregarding where the centroid of an object is, and isn't something that is going to be directly applied into human contact sports.

If F = ma was all that factored into making a great hockey player than Luke Schenn and Nick Grossmann wouldn't be one step away from being out of the league. Hell Gretzky was pretty undersized for an NHL player that played in a bigger/tougher era although I'm sure you will have some ridiculous rebuttal for that.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Bellemare might get a Clutterbuck-esque contract he keeps this up.

Going to be a test for Hextall to not blink when it comes to resigning him and VDV

If he's truly locked in as GM then he'll know to cut dead weight and let younger more skilled guys come up in the next couple seasons (Leier, Lindblom, Vorobyov, etc.)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

My initial reaction to this is that Newton can **** my ****.
You can keep saying these crazy things about Ghost, but you saying it doesn't make it so. It's starting to get a little irritating to see how little regard you have for him and it is going to be unbearable to listen to when you take Provorov for granted next season, which is a mortal lock of a guarantee to happen.

Good effort tonight, I thought, but we ran a stinker on that 5-on-3. That left the door open, and we were never going to win that shootout.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
When former players and "hockey people" praise the VdV-PEB-Lyubimov line, it is because they can shield the puck in the offensive zone for an entire shift, physically battling their opponents. Then they envision that effect on a top line during a 7 game playoff series.

They don't look or care about them being outshot (all shots). Possession to them isn't just getting shots. They even ignore if they are outscored during "off" games because those dominate cycling shifts give them the equivalent of a hockey *****. That includes Bill Clement, Pierre McGuire, Hakstol and likely Hextall as well.

It isn't going away either. I fully expect VdV and PEB to be resigned no matter what.

Outside of that, I thought Leier and Cousins played well in limited minutes. Not sure what Gordon brings. I would expect Weise back next game.

They should have put the Preds away after dominating the first half of the game.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So G was 10 on for scoring chances against and 0 for. Didn't see the game, but did the top line really got torched that bad?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Last two games are pretty much the reverse of several games over the 10 game win streak:

We outplayed both Dallas and Nashville but did not get the bounces.

During the streak there were ~4 games where they were outplayed but got bounces and won.

Anti Niemi of all people. SMDH
ZCfTVGO.png

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
You don't win 10 in a row without getting some lucky bounces and they took a lot of points they did not really deserve in those games.
Now it evens out somewhat, which is o.k. as long as the can at least keep up a .500 pace.

Usage of the Hak line still defies all logic and I really fear the day Hakstol will talk Hextall into extending both Bellemare and VDV for at least a couple of season, probably well above 1M per. And we all know that this will actually happen.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You don't win 10 in a row without getting some lucky bounces and they took a lot of points they did not really deserve in those games.
Now it evens out somewhat, which is o.k. as long as the can at least keep up a .500 pace.

Usage of the Hak line still defies all logic and I really fear the day Hakstol will talk Hextall into extending both Bellemare and VDV for at least a couple of season, probably well above 1M per. And we all know that this will actually happen.

It doesn't work like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad