GDT: #32: Sharks @ Senators, 4:30PM Pacific, CSN-CA

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't think they're quite as bad as Edmonton or anything, but amazing goaltending and some opportunistic scoring is what keeps them in the playoff race annually. There's no doubt about that.

Honestly Edmonton at least played with some pace and force until the first goal or two against. Ottawa was the most passive team I've seen in ages in all three zones. They just let the sharks do whatever they wanted.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly Edmonton at least played with some pace and force until the first goal or two against. Ottawa was the most passive team I've seen in ages in all three zones. They just let the sharks do whatever they wanted.

They pretty much play like this every night though.

I find them to be also be very boring for a run and gun-ish type team.

They have a couple nice and exciting players like Karlsson, Zibanejad (can never spell this guy's name), Hoffman, Anderson in goal is awesome. Bobby Ryan has his moments, not as much since being in Ottawa though. He's been better this season.

I did enjoy many of their older teams with Alfredsson and Spezza. Not really older teams, but their late 2000s-early 2010s teams were exciting.

I've never understood why fans of other teams lurk the opponents GDT after a game and start asking why this or that person doesn't like their team. Maybe they just find it odd because the Sharks and Sens aren't exactly rivals and have no history? I've gotten it with visiting Flames and Jets lurkers a lot on the Devils board.

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
Gotcha, was just curious really. I have a massive hate for the Habs and Leafs so I know how you guys feel.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gotcha, was just curious really. I have a massive hate for the Habs and Leafs so I know how you guys feel.

I don't have a massive hate for the Senators really. I'm more annoyed by them than anything. Some of it was bitterness by having to suffer through so many games in 2013 and 13-14 where the Devils outshot them 35-12 or 42-17 (quite literally) when Brodeur was on his deathbed and losing the game because Marty would allow a horrendous goal or two and Anderson would get a shutout or allow one goal on 35-40 shots. Oddly enough, we've won the last 3 of the last 4 times we've played the Senators with Schneider in net and I don't think we outshot them any of those times.

I don't have a problem with any of their players personally, although I don't like Bobby Ryan's face. He's got a really punchable face and looks like a schoolyard bully. He also skeeved me out with all of his ''I wanna go home'' trolling about going to the Flyers before Anaheim traded him. Glad he went to the Senators and not the Flyers though, it makes him more tolerable to me.

I dislike the Sabres and Leafs MUCH more from that division. I've disliked them for years and years.

You seem alright though, I apologize if I got a little on the defensive with you.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
They pretty much play like this every night though.

I find them to be also be very boring for a run and gun-ish type team.

They have a couple nice and exciting players like Karlsson, Zibanejad (can never spell this guy's name), Hoffman, Anderson in goal is awesome. Bobby Ryan has his moments, not as much since being in Ottawa though. He's been better this season.

I did enjoy many of their older teams with Alfredsson and Spezza. Not really older teams, but their late 2000s-early 2010s teams were exciting.

I've never understood why fans of other teams lurk the opponents GDT after a game and start asking why this or that person doesn't like their team. Maybe they just find it odd because the Sharks and Sens aren't exactly rivals and have no history? I've gotten it with visiting Flames and Jets lurkers a lot on the Devils board.

That's what I mean, they appear to be terrible to the core of their identity. That **** would never fly in the west, my god.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you believe the team actually chooses to play worse in front of Stalock? Or just the luck of the draw that they happen to crap the bed when he's in?

I think the defense (particularly the team defense and not just defensemen when I see defense) **** the bed both of the last two night's, they offense was just able to bail them out last night. Or better yet, the team already had 2 on the board before they started playing badly. Tonight they only had 1 at that point.

It's not luck of the draw. They're not a good defensive team that tends to have lapses in defensive play from time to time because they're not consistent. It's certainly reasonable for a team like that to happen to play poorly in his starts and occasionally look good normally when there are more games for a goalie and more of a flow with the starter.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
If you play, no excuses. It wasn't an excuse when Toskala screwed up against Edmonton, it cannot be an excuse now. If Stalock was injured he had a great opportunity to tell his coach that and get off the ice.

For all the talk about depth, the bottom 6 was full of skill and speed, and did mostly nothing. Against a soft defense, the Sharks should have been driving the net.

No excuses. Stalock didn't screw up tonight.

He was playing his best game in nearly 2 years until he took that shot off his brow. My reaction to the 2nd goal was probably in line with most who have watched Stalock's game deteriorate the last two seasons. After realizing what occurred, I didn't mind it as much. Yes, he could have shown more composure, but ****... come on, man... that's asking a lot of anyone.

Stalock ultimately has to make saves, but the other 3 were good goals as a result of **** play from the skaters in front of him. He's been playing himself out of the league, imo. He's looked like a very fragile goalie for a while, but he was still composed after getting rung on the 2nd. The screw ups were occurring in front of him in this game.

No one is looking at the goalie tonight if Jones got the L. The team let Stalock down tonight.

Our bottom 6 isn't cutting it, and it's what makes us a bubble team (even in the Pacific). I firmly believe we would have won if we had scored the third goal of the game. Nieto scored against the Leafs, so our bottom 6 is probably tapped out for the next 10 to 15 games.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Poor Stalock, getting hit with the puck to the mask. Goalies get that all the time, and usually will drop their stick, grab their head, and look like an idiot.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Still waiting for stalock to have a bad game i guess. Since once again he didn't have a bad game, it was once again the team in front of him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Still waiting for stalock to have a bad game i guess. Since once again he didn't have a bad game, it was once again the team in front of him.

Honestly, I think the puck to the face really rattled him. He probably should have gone off the ice. His game just fell apart after that. Wonder if he might have got a minor concussion or something.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hey, guys don't wanna be the guy that comes in right after a win so I waited a bit.

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the San Jose broadcast your guys werent homers for about 58/60 minutes of the game which is really good. I was not expecting that, because the kings broadcast was horribad.

I watched the kings broadcast the other day, and god where they homers, and they kept butchering names and statistics you would think after winning a couple of stanley cups and major playoff success they would invest more into an attractive broadcast.

Also as for the dislikability of my team, cant please em all.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Hey, guys don't wanna be the guy that comes in right after a win so I waited a bit.

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the San Jose broadcast your guys werent homers for about 58/60 minutes of the game which is really good. I was not expecting that, because the kings broadcast was horribad.

I watched the kings broadcast the other day, and god where they homers, and they kept butchering names and statistics you would think after winning a couple of stanley cups and major playoff success they would invest more into an attractive broadcast.

Thanks. I think that Baker is moderately homerish but that can vary. If he complains that the Sharks should have gotten a penalty on X play, he will comment about it when the ref misses a similar call against the Sharks though. He's consistent in that way.

Randy is very professional. If you read through the thread (or last one), you'll see ppl wondering what he thinks of Baker's proclamations. No one knows for sure, which is probably good. He was good about reeling Remenda in as well as having numerous good exchanges with him. He seems to be still learning that with Baker plus he's getting older and sometimes messes up players' names now. Often Sharks' players. :laugh:

If you think the Kings' announcers are bad, wait until you hear the Ducks' announcers.

Not all of us dislike the Sens.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
On principal, I've chosen to hate every team in the NHL, including the Sharks. I hate the Kings more than normal, I hate the Panthers less though.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

I don't think anyone outside of Bleedred and Phu dislike the Sens. Bleedred is a Devils fan first, I believe, and Phu hates any team the Sharks lose to.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Normally I would agree with you, but with this atrocious home record, the Sharks need to be impeccable on the road.
You have to think at some point they'll get it together and start scoring the first goal at home. If they play 10 more home games and the results are the same, then I'll be genuinely concerned.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You have to think at some point they'll get it together and start scoring the first goal at home. If they play 10 more home games and the results are the same, then I'll be genuinely concerned.

I think this home loss record is a little misleading. We've only had 13 home games and 19 road games. Those home games came at certain times when we were losing road games too or we won 1 and lost 2.

It feels much worse I know. I've been at most of those loses :(

I think this will even out and if it doesn't we're screwed because our last 23 games are 15 at home and 8 on the road. :scared:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think this home loss record is a little misleading. We've only had 13 home games and 19 road games. Those home games came at certain times when we were losing road games too or we won 1 and lost 2.

It feels much worse I know. I've been at most of those loses :(

I think this will even out and if it doesn't we're screwed because our last 23 games are 15 at home and 8 on the road. :scared:

One of the last home groupings of games came from at the tail end of a game road winning streak. And it started a pretty big losing streak at home which was ended on the 1st road game lol.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kurz just had an article about it being time to move on from Stalock. I know it's Kurz and I don't care for him much either, but it's funny that he wrote that after last night.

I'm not much of a believer in Grosenick either. Luckily there will probably be some reliable backups to be had for cheap. Calgary is probably gonna sign Brian Elliott or Cam Ward, whoever is on the market. That's if Edmonton doesn't decide to go for one of them instead after their most recent dumpster dive hasn't worked out either.

Speaking of Flames, Ramo and Hiller are both UFA's. I don't think Ramo is really good enough at all, though he could be alright as a backup if he could provide something in the 91% range.

Hiller looks finished in just about every game I've seen him play this year. He's been a bad starting goaltender for years now, but that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't be a decent backup somewhere in the league. I'm starting to think that's probably not gonna happen though. He's been the opposition's best player in quite a few of his games this year.

Khudobin semi intrigues me. Had a GREAT year in Carolina playing most of their games, then had an abysmal year when he had to back up Ward. Was starting out this season decently in a backup position. Not sure if he's KHL bound or what will happen with him after this season. I'm much more intrigued by him than Ramo though.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't think anyone outside of Bleedred and Phu dislike the Sens. Bleedred is a Devils fan first, I believe, and Phu hates any team the Sharks lose to.

I don't particularly dislike the sens, but i think their style of play is a joke, and that it's a travesty they can play their style of play in the east.
What I'm mad at is the fact that we lost that game by multiple goals. That is ridiculous.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Poor Stalock, getting hit with the puck through his mask. Goalies get that all the time, and usually will drop their stick, grab their head, and look like an idiot.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

FTFY

Still waiting for Stalock to have a bad game i guess. Since once again he didn't have a bad game, it was once again the team in front of him.

Not sure if directed to my post. I said he has been playing himself out of the NHL.

Not sure where the sentiment is coming from. I think most would agree Stalock has had some terrible performances this season. Imo, his game has been free falling since he started in Dallas last season (the game where he was ran by Roussel). If he doesn't string some good performances together, I don't see him getting another NHL contract.

Honestly, I think the puck to the face really rattled him. He probably should have gone off the ice. His game just fell apart after that. Wonder if he might have got a minor concussion or something.

I'm sure it did. You would have to be a tough guy to think it was a routine play for any goalie in the league. :sarcasm:

I thought he looked fine after. I was fully expecting him to implode.

The two goals he gave up after getting clocked weren't soft goals. The 3rd one is a seeing-eye shot that is fed by a high turnover off of Donskoi, and the 4th was a 2 one 1 with two lateral passes (save of the year material if it is stopped).

He may have still had his head in the clouds on the 3rd. He was screened, but could have tracked it better.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We like to call shots "unsaveable", but in reality, 99% of the time (technically, 100%, but I digress), the saves are saveable...it is just that goalies aren't perfect, and we allow some imperfection.

If you look at Jones, there are probably 2-4+ saves he makes each game, where if the puck had gone in, you could have said "not his fault". We would use words like "tough play", "no chance", etc. But an NHL-quality goalie, never mind an elite goalie, needs to make a couple of those saves every game, while severely limiting the numbers of times he screws up a routine save.

I don't think that has been descriptive of Stalock, at least for a while. He allows an above-average number of "bad goals", and is rarely able to come up with a big save.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
We like to call shots "unsaveable", but in reality, 99% of the time (technically, 100%, but I digress), the saves are saveable...it is just that goalies aren't perfect, and we allow some imperfection.

If you look at Jones, there are probably 2-4+ saves he makes each game, where if the puck had gone in, you could have said "not his fault". We would use words like "tough play", "no chance", etc. But an NHL-quality goalie, never mind an elite goalie, needs to make a couple of those saves every game, while severely limiting the numbers of times he screws up a routine save.

I don't think that has been descriptive of Stalock, at least for a while. He allows an above-average number of "bad goals", and is rarely able to come up with a big save.

Really? Stalock doesn't even make 2 tough saves a game? Not even 1 per period? He's been pretty crappy this year, but come on.

And feel free to share your data on average bad goals per game. I'm curious how that one is quantified.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Really? Stalock doesn't even made 2 tough saves a game? Not even 1 per period? He's been pretty crappy this year, but come on.

And feel free to share your data on average bad goals per game. I'm curious how that one is quantified.

It depends on your definition of tough. Like I said, where was a save if Stalock hadn't made it, we wouldn't have blamed him for it?

Think about the last game. I can think maybe the 4 on in in the 2nd period, where he made a nice lateral move, and perhaps the Cici chance, where he slid across (although if Cici elevates that puck...).

Did he have a single "big save" during the Tampa game? Maybe off the Stamkos one-timer in the 2nd...but I thought he should have had the Kucherov goals and the Boyle goal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It depends on your definition of tough. Like I said, where was a save if Stalock hadn't made it, we wouldn't have blamed him for it?

Think about the last game. I can think maybe the 4 on in in the 2nd period, where he made a nice lateral move, and perhaps the Cici chance, where he slid across (although if Cici elevates that puck...).

Did he have a single "big save" during the Tampa game? Maybe off the Stamkos one-timer in the 2nd...but I thought he should have had the Kucherov goals and the Boyle goal.

lol then I question your ability to judge goalies fairly. He made a big save prior to the Boyle goal since that was a partial breakaway but you seem to conveniently ignore that. I don't think you truly understand what is something that a goalie should have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad