GDT: #31 - 12/29/21 | RANGERS @ cat | 7:00 MSG 2 | HOCKEYS BACK

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The team’s ceiling is limited while they have only 4 top 6 FWDs & Hajek/Nemeth playing consistently
Very true....sure miss Blais out there right now in a game like that . We are just too slow...it is that simple . Our forwards in some way , shape or form must find a way to slow down the Panther rush as it is pretty obvious our D is overwhelmed a lot and Shesty faces too many quality scoring chances .

It is what it is at this point and likely the only cure will be time....no quick fix , so I am flip flopping on that again ...was an entertaining game none the less but I sure wish we had some secondary guys that could have throttled Hornqvist ....he is LONG overdue for that . Reaves appears to be above that for some reason...he forgets what he was brought here for and thinks he is a scorer now . Even a good headlock squeeze like Messier had on Blake back in the day works for me !!! Some guys also taking shifts that are too long . Beat TB tomorrow and gets us a split in the Sunshine state.....

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
With Laf and Chytil doing their best magician impersonations and disappearing almost nightly it’s time for Drury and Gallant to make a move. I’ve had it with Chytil- he’s essentially useless and even with a top overall pick on his wing, he can’t generate offense. Time for him to go. I’d look for a Goodrow like player from a rebuilding team who can solidify that line and actually contribute in some way( face offs, defensive structure, grit) because Chytil has had his chance and he’s blown it.

Laf looks out of shape. He’s gassed after like 3 or 4 hard skates up and down the ice. Rewatch last nights games and you’ll see it almost ever shift he’s out there. To me, his endurance is what’s holding him back and it’s likely why Gallant can’t move him into the top 6- aside from the fact that the top 6 has been producing.
yeah the way Laf looked on the bench after his awesome diving swiping backcheck causing Joe to joke about him being out of breath was pretty discouraging ... he needs a new off-season training regimen and a change in diet, stop eating that Quebec cereal lol

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Wow Weak stuff from Frenchie Jerry Gallant…

no such thing as “ deserve in sports “ you earn you take you get you achieve you overcome - you deserve nothing however..

“We deserved a point probably,” head coach Gerard Gallant said after the loss, which dropped the Rangers to 19-8-4. “And probably the same thing in the last game we played them [at Madison Square Garden], they probably deserved two points or one out of [our] building. So it happens, but I’m happy with the way our team came out to play tonight.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
yeah the way Laf looked on the bench after his awesome diving swiping backcheck causing Joe to joke about him being out of breath was pretty discouraging ... he needs a new off-season training regimen and a change in diet, stop eating that Quebec cereal lol
Vector

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Wow Weak stuff from Frenchie Jerry Gallant…

no such thing as “ deserve in sports “ you earn you take you get you achieve you overcome - you deserve nothing however..

“We deserved a point probably,” head coach Gerard Gallant said after the loss, which dropped the Rangers to 19-8-4. “And probably the same thing in the last game we played them [at Madison Square Garden], they probably deserved two points or one out of [our] building. So it happens, but I’m happy with the way our team came out to play tonight.

He's not French...

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The problem here is obvious, it's that too often the Rangers are not firing on all cylinders as a team (which is not entirely shocking given some of the youth), and that if it's not a hot veteran hand carrying us, then there is nothing-doing, offensively. It's mostly Panarin doing the carrying, but sometimes Zibanejad and Kreider, who are by themselves too streaky to be relied on to carry us all the way to a Cup.

This results in a team that flashes, and can beat up on also-rans consistently since all Panarin or Fox have to do is be Panarin or Fox for 20 minutes, but the team is never, ever going to consistently beat veteran, experienced, talented teams that have good systems who have played together for a long time (ie, every team near us or above us in the standings). This is also why the team rarely sees days where it seems like everyone is excelling and pouring it on to 5 goal wins. Usually you just get the two goal performance from one Superstar and the team wins 3-2.

But this problem is stemming from a deeper issue, which is that the team is misidentifying what it is. It thinks on the basis of this cleaning up against losers that itself is a contender, which it isn't. In furtherance of this mistake, it has too quickly called a wrap on acquisition of future talent in favor of importing win-now grit, which always results in an over-pay either in terms of contract (Goodrow, Reaves, even Kreider, and Strome will be on this list soon) or trade (Buchnevich for Blais). It also imported a "toughness," philosophy that it wasn't ready for - it stupidly thought it was ready to be the Tampa Bay Lightning and that it needed to start importing these enforcers and start playing a "tough out," game that was ready for the playoffs, but it did so before it had developed the requisite offensive prowess that teams like the Lightning or Hurricanes had naturally developed before importing their grit.

The result is a team that is not ready to take the next step because it rushed it's guys like Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil and Kravtsov by not fostering their offensive development all the while taking losses as the kids learned on the job; instead, it tried to shoehorn those kids into defensively-responsible first, support offense second roles, and these are roles the kids are not suited for at this stage of their careers. They knew how to be main offensive threats as kids because that's what they've been their whole lives; thinking defense first and then being passengers or getting minimal offensive-designed minutes has stunted their development. With Kakko and Lafreniere they have been good soldiers but they are being completely wasted and they aren't developing the necessary offensive capabilities they will need to be stars. With a guy like Kravtsov he realized he was being misdeveloped and revolted, and now he isn't here.

The Rangers tried to walk down the middle of the street and it backfired and now they are getting hit by cars on both sides. It's plain as day.

It is completely hopeless that this incomplete, undeveloped team is going to win a Cup on the back of five players in Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Kreider and Shesterkin. They will never, ever win with this five player core as their biggest five horses and the team needs to come to that understanding, like, yesterday, as do the fans.

The only, ONLY hope this team has is to figure out first and foremost a way to turn Kakko and Lafreniere into stars. To that end, since it's not happening fast enough to win while Kreider and Zibanejad remain elite, it has to realize this dream of "two separate windows - one now, one later," is dead. It has to start doubling down on the future again.

It doesn't mean the team has to actively tank. But it does mean it has to start identifying the players who aren't going to be here, or will be too expensive, or who won't be producing at a high level in 2023-24 and start moving those guys out for players and prospects who WILL be part of that future core. It has to start making moves to win later more than winning now. It has protect it's future assets over worthless "now," pieces like Blais, Goodrow, Reaves, and Hunt, who simply aren't doing anything to push the needle for this team into contender status.

Gonna need a hard look at that Goodrow contract to see if it can be moved. I'd rather keep Rooney for half as much AAV and a third of the term. Reaves has not added much of anything. Blais can stay as a FOURTH LINER if he's cheap enough.

And finally the "toughness," mandate needs to be repealed.

Skill wins. Skill is what has won us games this season - the Panarins and Foxes. The Blaises, Goodrows, and Reaves have added nearly nothing to this team compared to the Panarins and Foxes.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
As mentioned previously this team isn’t good enough to hang with the big boys unless Igor is stealing the show

it is what it is, I’m enjoying the season either way. Get to the playoffs and see what happens

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Btw where is this narrative that they gave up on Duclair?

They traded him for one of the best offensive defensemen at the time and a top 4 D in Yandle with term to help bolster their cup chances

you can gripe that it wasn’t the best trade cause AV didn’t ever use him right, but I certainly don’t see the above as “giving up” on Duclair

I also saw the usual suspects on Rangers Twitter whining yesterday about how “oh they should have signed Duclair”, except he actually has to want to sign here, which by all accounts it seems like he wasn’t interested.

Also the dude has been on like 8 different teams, spare us the Rangers gave up on him lol

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Ok yeah I took your post to mean the team is poorly coached which I don’t agree with and your comparison to Quinn hints at, to me anyway, that the team is devoid of any NHL level structure. I simply don’t see any evidence to support that. The team’s structure is not as relevant in terms of it being “noticeable” but what is evident is he’s gotten the guys who should be producing to produce, he’s slotted guys into the lineup in correct places( for the most part) and has the team ready. I’d argue that playing a super structured system with the level of talent this team has would be a huge mistake. Give them a few keys for each game, a structure that is basic enough that can focus on being assertive on the offensive end is probably the best way to coach these guys. They know how to play hockey and what I like most about Gallant is he respects that and expects they respect him back. Who would not respond well to that style of coaching?
There's a difference between being Florida and being the Islanders.

Knowing your role in any given scenario is what I want. We are sloppy and discombobulated on offense., especially in transition and puck support. There's an overarching directive from the coach but it needs more refinement. Not shackles but more direction/foundation. The team needs to be on the same page. The team work is just not there

If there's 3 of us attacking and no one knows what the other is gonna do, that's a problem.

Reactions: CLW

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

They traded him for one of the best offensive defensemen at the time and a top 4 D in Yandle with term to help bolster their cup chances

you can gripe that it wasn’t the best trade cause AV didn’t ever use him right, but I certainly don’t see the above as “giving up” on Duclair

I also saw the usual suspects on Rangers Twitter whining yesterday about how “oh they should have signed Duclair”, except he actually has to want to sign here, which by all accounts it seems like he wasn’t interested.

Also the dude has been on like 8 different teams, spare us the Rangers gave up on him lol
It’s absolutely comical. Half this board can’t handle Chytil, Kakko or Laf or even 31 games of gallant. But some how they could have handled 6+ seasons of Duke to get to this point.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

Is this how it is for all fan bases or just ours? Never able to let anything go. I mean I expect to hear about Buchnevich until the end of time.

Reactions: leetch99

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Is this how it is for all fan bases or just ours? Never able to let anything go. I mean I expect to hear about Buchnevich until the end of time.

I expect to complain about it until the situation is rectified.

Doesn't mean getting him back but it does mean finding enough young top 6 talent that he's not missed.

Sammy f***ing Blais doesn't cut it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Why are people complaining about Hajek, he was far from the reason we lost tonight, i thought he had a decent game really. Its the same thing every year the board picks 2 or three guys and blame them for every loss, I'm not even sure if people are watching the games.
Ranger fans are definitely passionate. I think that the passion sometimes tricks some into thinking they know more about the game and how to fix things than they actually do. The result is the continuous nonsense about certain players being the problem.
Bottom line is that all teams have a weakness. With the salary cap, there is not way to address every need. The best teams figure out a way to get the most out of what they have and this is where the Rangers may be lacking. Who is the leader in the room? Who is the example for the young guys to follow? Who is outworking everyone else?
It's too easy to crap on our 22 year old 3C or spout some nonsense about X and O, as if Gallant just fell off of the turnip truck.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015

yeah Duclair sucked for years and flamed out completely on 3 different teams before he had a good year Ottawa like six years after we traded him, there's no way the Rangers would still have him now lol. stupid fans.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad