GDT: #31 - 12/29/21 | RANGERS @ cat | 7:00 MSG 2 | HOCKEYS BACK

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
So Duclair, a player the rangers gave up on, gets his 10th of the year on the ES GWG.

Yet the biggest takeaway is that the rangers continue to get outshot/not generate enough offense, a characteristic of this team that now clearly transcends different coaching and management personel. That is a really concerning point about this team and with so much of the roster locked up long term I don’t see how you fix it outside of a blockbuster trade which is so rare in the current NHL.
Well said.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The solution has to be from within on this. We have a kids line that just isn't working. That's like, 3 lines that aren't working plus Hunt. We need to go on a losing streak and no better time than now against TBL and FLA. Gallant needs to get his shit together.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I just hate our lines so much. I’m not sure why Gallant is so insistent on keeping them the same.

Hunt literally does nothing on that line. He’s a great 4th liner, that’s about it.

I have to agree. I know we have players out and Gallant is moving guys around. But I’m a big proponent of keeping guys in roles they are good at or have success at.
In Hunts case, he was an excellent 4th liner with Reaves and Rooney. I keep him there.
Others teams, ill use the Penguins for example, if they have an injury, they won’t move everyone up 1 line in the line up. The call up will substitute for the injured player while the roster stays the same.
Is that the better choice? I don’t know, but that’s what I’d like to see.
Chytil/LaF/Gauthier really has trouble generating offense together. Something has to happen there.
Another game where LaF doesn’t even register a SOG.
Right now, while we have some guys out on injury/covid, I’d like to see some kids gets a shot befores trades are made.
For one, to see how they look at the nhl level, maybe it’ll inject a little life to where some things are stagnant, and to break up the monotony of what’s not been working before we start dealing players away.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t think this game was as bad as people are making it out to be. Panarin scored, Mika scored, and Kreider scored. Igor had a bad night but it’s his first game back in weeks. Focus on Tampa, that is gonna be a challenge.
I avoided the game live as I had to do some stuff but just watched it and I agree, not a bad game at all. Rangers and Florida traded body blows for the first period, Rangers couldn’t finish them off. Refs also helped keep florida in it and they finally took advantage in the third. Hajek was excellent, in my opinion. Playing quite aggressively. Nemeth is an anchor offensively though. I’d actually leave Hajek in until Lindgren comes back and replace Nemeth with Jones.

Reactions: leetch99

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I avoided the game live as I had to do some stuff but just watched it and I agree, not a bad game at all. Rangers and Florida traded body blows for the first period, Rangers couldn’t finish them off. Refs also helped keep florida in it and they finally took advantage in the third. Hajek was excellent, in my opinion. Playing quite aggressively. Nemeth is an anchor offensively though. I’d actually leave Hajek in until Lindgren comes back and replace Nemeth with Jones.
Agreed. I also am sick of McKegg. He’s beyond useless. Not giving Barron a reward game or 2 here and there in order to dress Mckegg is a mistake.
Chytil is also not helping his case to remain a ranger beyond this year.
Whether it’s confidence, chemistry, etc something ultimately is gonna have to give.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shades of the Vegas game. They can hang with the upper echelon teams, but they can’t quite put them away.
Yep. Getting close. Refs will always keep the game close. It’s a matter of getting over that hump. Learning how to hang around when the other team takes the lead. And learning how to put away teams when you get the lead.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Personnel discussion notwithstanding, this team, this organization needs a paradigm shift to a heavy skill game to compete in the long run. The finesse game they've built the last few seasons on isn't going to cut it if they want to be a big boy perennial contender. Right now it's just weak pond hockey.
Yeah. The extra pass occasionally leads to a super-sexy tap in goal but this team really really needs to, much more frequently, crash the net. I’m not saying it’s a black-white thing. Just need to do it more than they are now.

Reactions: will1066

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Put Laf with Mika,Kk back with Strome and Hunt the 4th line.Roll with that and lets go...also get Jones in-Hajek and Nemeth are giving me Staal and Smith flashbacks

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
These lines need to change. Mika needs to start really creating things. Kakko and Laf need to start showing more. You see flashes at least, but it's not enough. We need Kravtsov more than he needs us and it's showing. I really hope Drury learned his lesson with Krav. We'd be in such a better position if he were with us right now.

I get that we have major depth issues, but Hunt shouldn't be in the top 6. At this point Kreider shouldn't be either. Laf should be in the AHL right now if only to put a flame under his ass that he needs to start improving. I'm very worried that we're going to greatly overpay for a Strome extension. I'd rather trade him regardless of how the rest of this season goes because I don't see this as a Cup winning roster, especially with Blais gone for the year.

We're cheating too much. Too much about trying to open the ice up, and when that stretch pass gets blocked with forwards trying to be ahead of the play, they've got numbers in our zone. That's fine against mediocre teams, and that may work a few times against top teams, but you'll get burned and get absolutely destroyed in the playoffs with that.

The good news is we didn't look completely outmatched like we did against Colorado. But there's way too much I don't like. There have been very few complete wins this season, which is a concern. Even against trash like Arizona we're really fighting and barely scraping by. I don't know how much of this can be fixed short term.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Yeah. The extra pass occasionally leads to a super-sexy tap in goal but this team really really needs to, much more frequently, crash the net. I’m not saying it’s a black-white thing. Just need to do it more than they are now.
And the Knicks need to feed the post, and the Yankees need to play small ball, and the Giants need to play ground and pound.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
With Laf and Chytil doing their best magician impersonations and disappearing almost nightly it’s time for Drury and Gallant to make a move. I’ve had it with Chytil- he’s essentially useless and even with a top overall pick on his wing, he can’t generate offense. Time for him to go. I’d look for a Goodrow like player from a rebuilding team who can solidify that line and actually contribute in some way( face offs, defensive structure, grit) because Chytil has had his chance and he’s blown it.

Laf looks out of shape. He’s gassed after like 3 or 4 hard skates up and down the ice. Rewatch last nights games and you’ll see it almost ever shift he’s out there. To me, his endurance is what’s holding him back and it’s likely why Gallant can’t move him into the top 6- aside from the fact that the top 6 has been producing.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
100% idiot coach. There's a reason this guy has been run out of towns.

And let's not forget, Gallant was maybe the Rangers third choice.

I'd fire his ass tomorrow and bring up Knobloch

Could be the biggest overreaction ever on this board. Congrats, that’s a real accomplishment!

Gallant is also one of the most successful coaches in recent NHL history taking an expansion team through the playoffs and getting his teams consistently into the playoffs— you’d seriously rather an AHL coach run the team— pretty sure that was Quinn and this team looked absolutely lost.

Gallant is a career over 500 coach at the NHL level so he clearly knows what he is doing. He’s got Kreider on pace for a career year, he’s instilled an identity that incorporates toughness, his team plays a sound defensive structure, his players are always prepared for games, he is able to identify who is playing well each night and rewards them with ice time, he’s established lines that have been productive and are structured with a highly skilled player, a puck retriever and a finisher throughout all 4 lines( given the players he has mind you as coaches only get to work with the guys they have) and has brought a winning and fair but supportive atmosphere to a team he’s gotten to work with for only 4 months now.

Perhaps some advice, next time you want to make a post that is just pure hyperbole, try and think about how others will actually read it- or of course if you are just using the board as a therapy space to vent, then of course I could understand why the quoted post reads the way it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: scanzzilla

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Can’t we just complaint about the game they just played without it turning into hot takes and sweeping indictments of the organization? They played well enough to win today but didn’t capitalize on all of their chances and Shesty was just okay. Plenty of chances to win this game, arguably the better team all night.

It doesn’t need to mean Drury sucks, the rebuild is a failure and Lafreniere is Pavel Brendl.

This team is a work in progress and finding their way. They’re also comfortably in a playoff spot and will surely go on more winning streaks. They’re far from being a great team but they’re also not as bad as some of the complaining would make you think. They’re a work in progress.
This.
Reading this board, here are a few things I've learned.
-Gallant is Quinn with a few minor differences
-A 22 year old C, who has mainly played a bottom 6 role, needs to be jettisoned. (We need a new whipping boy to blame for teams poor play)
-Hajek is both the worst D to ever wear Rangers blue, but also not too bad.
-Georgiev is trash and should be moved for a 7th................ooh wait, moved for a 1st.
-So many of the teams problems would be solved with Morgan Barron.

Of course, half joking, but the over reaction by many is just silly.
Yes, some players are not living up to expectations, but this is a really young team. They aren't fully developed yet.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So Duclair, a player the rangers gave up on, gets his 10th of the year on the ES GWG.

Yet the biggest takeaway is that the rangers continue to get outshot/not generate enough offense, a characteristic of this team that now clearly transcends different coaching and management personel. That is a really concerning point about this team and with so much of the roster locked up long term I don’t see how you fix it outside of a blockbuster trade which is so rare in the current NHL.

The Rangers didn't give up on Duclair. They traded him for Yandle. He's also played on 5 teams since the Rangers so a lot of teams "gave up" on him. And he's been a UFA several times signing cheap one year deals. Lots of teams "gave up" or didn't want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad