GDT: #31 – Sabres at Panthers – Tue Dec 20, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I know we put up 3 and came away with a point, but our entire offense looked lethargic most of the night. I'm not even remotely ready to get on that fire Bylsma bandwagon, but he better have a "come to Jesus" moment over Christmas break and revamp whatever system he has in place.

There's too much talent on this team and if you want to help your defense and even your goalie in shootouts for that matter, start putting the puck in the net in regulation. Sustain some pressure in the O-zone!

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Eichel's repertoire of cute little moves is quite limited and they are working less and less. He's going to have to figure it out - until then he needs to use his speed and power rather than dangles to get to the net.

I'm sure he'll appreciate your advice concerning his game and how he should play.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Eichel played like crap, that goal was all him. That line shouldnt have been outthere in that situation.

Huh...I would of thought the weak kicking attempt by Bogo and then the soft play by Kulikov getting stripped behind the net would get more scrutinized...not excusing Jack, but agenda's are adenda's.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Our only shootout win was COR who the other team had no book on.

The last time the Sabres were desperate on shootouts, they had Henrik Tallinder shoot and it worked.

I seriously think they should give Josh Gorges a shot. Hey, he might actually be good for something!

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Rough game. But this team is going to need to learn it needs to play 60minutes to win consistently in this league.

Look at Foligno. He was one of the most inconsistent players on the roster until a year ago. Now he's the 100% 100% of the time player. It took a few years for him to get there, especially as a power forward on the wing.

I think he looked solid with O'Reilly & Reinhart. Kane was doing good things with Larsson and Gionta but will need to play more to gain chemistry.

As many said before the season started, this isn't a race, it's a marathon, and that sucks because we've waited already for to get Eichel/Reinhart etc. but we've got to give them time to develop.

This team will likely do what many of us figured, stay in the picture and finish somewhere in the 8-11 range in the Eastern Conference. Probably won't make the playoffs, but weirder things have happened and the Atlantic is such a tight division right now between 3-8 (Ottawa seems to be running away with 2nd, with 41points in 33GP), Buffalo has 32 points in 31gp, Boston is 3rd with 37points in 34games.

Toronto has flashy players that started really hot but have cooled off and their defense is constantly exposed.

Detroit also has a bad defense, and they just seem lost as a group.

Florida got lucky tonight, but the entire organization seems to be a bit of a mess.

Tampa really seems to be struggling with the injuries to Stralman and Stamkos.

Boston goes as far as Rask takes them. And they've yet to feel the injury bug, which will likely hit at some point.

So basically, we're still in it, it's a young group, this is part of the process.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Then maybe they should have showed up for the first 25 minutes. Yea, losing in the SO sucks but everybody down there on the ice knows how our shootouts go. It's on them to change the outcome.
Well, duh. Unfortunately, it's not realistic to expect any team, and especially not a team just emerging from a rebuild, to control every game for a full 60 minutes. Sometimes the other team just outplays you, and all you can do is regroup and try to improve, which they did.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Instead of pulling the goalie in OT and risk losing a pt, they should just play more risky and send a FW down the ice for every SOG, and hope to get sprung for a breakaway.

At least they aren't the worst in the SO at 1-5 though - Toronto is 0-5 in the SO.

Seriously though, they're 2-3 in OT and 1-5 in SOs. Grinding close games out is just not a very winning strategy...not winning enough for the pts they have to make up. This is a double whammy season for me - a mediocre team playing a boring game (almost the least total goals per game in the NHL). It takes a full commitment to watch this team.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Instead of pulling the goalie in OT and risk losing a pt, they should just play more risky and send a FW down the ice for every SOG, and hope to get sprung for a breakaway.

At least they aren't the worst in the SO at 1-5 though - Toronto is 0-5 in the SO.

Seriously though, they're 2-3 in OT and 1-5 in SOs. Grinding close games out is just not a very winning strategy...not winning enough for the pts they have to make up. This is a double whammy season for me - a mediocre team playing a boring game (almost the least total goals per game in the NHL). It takes a full commitment to watch this team.

"Play risky" isn't in Dan's playbook.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The shootout results sucked. But I do have questions about two things tonight.

1) Why wasn't the Larsson or ROR line out against the Panthers top forward line with a 1 goal lead? Particularly that late in the game.

2) In OT, why were the forwards not with their linemates? I get some mix and match if certain guys don't go out. But why no Eichel/KO as an example? Why put Eichel with Kane again?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

1) Why wasn't the Larsson or ROR line out against the Panthers top forward line with a 1 goal lead? Particularly that late in the game.

2) In OT, why were the forwards not with their linemates? I get some mix and match if certain guys don't go out. But why no Eichel/KO as an example? Why put Eichel with Kane again?

On 1, Panthers did have last change, though it would seem logical they'd put their top line out there as much as possible.

On 2, didn't Kane send Eichel in all alone for that goal with 1 second left in OT in a game last year? Clearly Bylsma figured that makes them OT mates for life. :sarcasm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
On 1, Panthers did have last change, though it would seem logical they'd put their top line out there as much as possible.

On 2, didn't Kane send Eichel in all alone for that goal with 1 second left in OT in a game last year? Clearly Bylsma figured that makes them OT mates for life. :sarcasm:

I know they get last change but you can make a quick switch. Even if it's just the center. I'll have to wAtch the goal again to see if there was a chance to do that. I'm just surprised we got beat like that when our coach is as focused on goal prevention and making the conservative play in that situation. Keep in mind he's put out FLG in the past to preserve going to OT let alone hold a one goal lead.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

On 1. You're absolutely right and any armchair coach 6 beers in could call that sadly Bylsma couldnt.

On 2. It's clear this area isn't byslma's forte. Though I can see what his mindset was. One line to blitz them with speed and one line to stifle the oppositions speed i.e matching against trochek and smith. He kinda played the odds there and can't blame his match up choice.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Seriously, they would be better off pulling the goalie in OT. A shoot is an automatic loss right now. What are the goalies 4 for 14 on shots!
I think you lose the OT point if you take a loss in OT with the goalie pulled.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Only saw the end of the game, but we got Jagr'd, and sometimes you just have to appreciate that. I like these lines better than what we've had all season.

If we came out flat early again though, like we have been for weeks, Bylsma is to blame for not figuring out what to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad