2019 Stanley Cup Final 3 years ago......The Cup that was there for the taking but........

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
To each their own, but if the Bruins win the Cup in 2013 you probably don't see Seguin traded.
The Seguin narrative is completely flipped if not for a couple shanked empty nets.

Seguin was the one who made a great pass to find an open Daugavins in front of the net in triple OT in game 1. We know what happened next. In game 4 when I believe it was still tied or the Bruins were up a goal in the third period, Seguin also set up Chris Kelly with a perfect pass across the crease and Crawford down, Kelly shanked it and we lost that game in OT too.

If either of those, or both are converted, the Bruins win the cup and Seguin is a hero of that series.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Mental mistakes. No physicality. No push back. What else should we call that?

They got beat. It happens and it sucks. Nothing was wrong with their effort. They came out on fire in the 1st, couldn't cash in on some golden chances ( Marchand on the PP, Mojo partial breakaway and either he or Coyle missed a partial open net ) while the Blues did and then settled into the game after and played really good defense. Bennington gets a lot of credit for that win, but after that 1st period where he stood on his head, it was the Blues defense that clamped down. Effort doesn't always equal wins.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
2013 was painful, but Chicago was the better team. If we didn’t lose Campbell vs the Pens and Bergeron doesn’t have like 25 different injuries (what a warrior he was….how did he play through all that????) we might have beaten them in 7.

2019? Well I was sure it was an at home victory coming up, especially after game 6. But Johansson (sp?) misses an open net early. We dominate and suddenly are down 2-0. I remember being shocked at that point. How are we losing? It was an easy Cup, as easy as you could get. St Louis was a good team but we could have and should have won. The bottom 6 putting up goose eggs was a killer. Maybe worse that 1979 for me but really equaled to it as you can’t believe they didn’t win vs the fact they lost.

All that being said: June 15th is coming up this week and it’s a day I will never, ever forget! What a win that was in 2011!!!!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That none-call on the Acciari slew foot is one of my worst memories as a Bruins fan. I'll never forgive Sutherland for that none-call.

How they don't call that in the 3rd period of a cup final game I'll never understand.

Noel trying to sell it didn't help

Rather easy to say, sitting on your couch that trained athletes that work the majority of their lives to get to that point, just don't care. Garbage effort? Get out of here with that nonsense.
They played a great 18 minutes, didn't score and sulked.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Seguin narrative is completely flipped if not for a couple shanked empty nets.

Seguin was the one who made a great pass to find an open Daugavins in front of the net in triple OT in game 1. We know what happened next. In game 4 when I believe it was still tied or the Bruins were up a goal in the third period, Seguin also set up Chris Kelly with a perfect pass across the crease and Crawford down, Kelly shanked it and we lost that game in OT too.

If either of those, or both are converted, the Bruins win the cup and Seguin is a hero of that series.
Seguin was called the best player in the series by 99% of this board through game 4.

Reactions: EverettMike

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
So disappointing. The Hockey Gods were smiling on the Bruins, gifting them a very manageable route to the 2019 Finals, to play a team that was in last place overall in December. Had they won, I like to think that would've buried the 2015 draft debacle forever.

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So disappointing. The Hockey Gods were smiling on the Bruins, gifting them a very manageable route to the 2019 Finals, to play a team that was in last place overall in December. Had they won, I like to think that would've buried the 2015 draft debacle forever.
Based on the past week, I think we’re in the midst of proving that nothing else matters but the 2015 draft, and it will always be thus.

May 29, 2013
16 shots to 4 and the Blues had the lead in the first.
Rask lets in 4 goals on 20 shots and fails hard.

Never forgave him for that, still dont. . . . .
Same here - glad he retired

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
Pain.
Literal f*king pain.

I was able to live through 2013. I was upset but Chicago was a hell of a team, we had injuries and yadayada.

However 2019 not only broke my heart but also my soul. I started losing interest in the team and in watching hockey after that disgusting display. That was the last realistic chance for the old core to win it and we shat the bed. Then after that started the descent into mediocrity.

It's really the only hockey related memory that I can't get over. 2013 loss, the Seguin trade, 2015 draft, all the dumb signings that turned into anchors, well it's all behind. It's part of the game.

But 2019 broke me.
I dunno why, it's just a game after all but I'm still gonna need a long time to heal that.

Pain.
Literal f*king pain.

Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
16 shots to 4 and the Blues had the lead in the first.
Rask lets in 4 goals on 20 shots and fails hard.

Never forgave him for that, still dont. . . . .
Same here...and also failed the last two minutes of game 6 against the Hawks in 2013 or else the B's might've had 3 Cups in 8 years

Rask was a solid goalie with great stats but just wasn't clutch when it came to crunch time

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I was pretty pissed off while it was happening, but got over it surprisingly quickly.

Do I believe they were the better team? Absolutely. Do I believe that was a team that was good enough to win a Stanley Cup? Not really. They got incredibly lucky when both Tampa and Washington were upset in the 1st round. They were a flawed team that was overly reliant on their powerplay.

Personally, the losses in Game 7 against CAR in 2009 and PHI in 2010 bothered me more.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
There isn't a day that goes by whenever I think about this series that I don't ball up my fist in anger and think about punching the wall. That game still frustrates me to no end for so many reasons as a fan and I can't imagine how much more frustration and anguish the players feel to this day that they let the cup slip through their fingers like grains of sand. That game 7 loss was a painful one and I fear it will haunt this team for a long time.

Yup, probably one of my biggest issues with the Cassidy teams, they got into the habit of whining and looking for whistles instead of playing through it

The Bruins players acted like basketball players and not hockey players.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Blues' second goal sucked the air out of the building

Just look at Papa Jacobs box

1655187100178.png

I banged my camera so hard I suffered ulnar nerve damage which I will have a second surgery in July ( camera was fine )

I am convinced if the second goal doesn't happen the Bruins would have come out flying to the start the second period but instead played scared.

The night started with a bad vibe

Bruins PR decided that Aly Raisman and Julian Edelman wearing Big Papi jerseys would get the crowd pumped.

1655188076654.png

1655188291140.png

Keep in mind Ortiz had been shot 2 days before.

Beg Rene to come back one more time - Have Orr or Bucyk but no......

With my own eyes I have seen the Cup presented in Boston several times

1970 - :)
1977 - :cry:
1978 - :cry:
1988 - I was spared as Game 4 in Boston was erased because of a power failure
1990 - :cry:
2013 - :cry:
2019 - :cry:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Based on the past week, I think we’re in the midst of proving that nothing else matters but the 2015 draft, and it will always be thus.
The 2015 draft was always going to rear its ugly head again when the centers retired or got close. Nailing that first round would have made the transition far easier if you had a Barzal. At least you would have had another core piece. That’s why that draft is fully in focus again, not sure why you would think it wouldn’t be obsessed about again.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Noel trying to sell it didn't help

They played a great 18 minutes, didn't score and sulked.

I don't see how he tried to sell it. I've had that same thing happen to me on the ice, you don't expect it at all and it's a hard smack hitting the ice like that. It's not like by lying there longer the ref is going to change his mind and suddenly make the call.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The 2015 draft was always going to rear its ugly head again when the centers retired or got close. Nailing that first round would have made the transition far easier if you had a Barzal. At least you would have had another core piece. That’s why that draft is fully in focus again, not sure why you would think it wouldn’t be obsessed about again.
Ok

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Same here...and also failed the last two minutes of game 6 against the Hawks in 2013 or else the B's might've had 3 Cups in 8 years

Rask was a solid goalie with great stats but just wasn't clutch when it came to crunch time

You should watch those two goals at the end again. Defense flat out got out worked and left Rask out to dry LMAO. Maybe if Marchand or Krug register a point in 2013 we win that cup. Maybe if Seguin, Jagr, Krejci or Horton score a goal in the 2013 SCF we win the cup....Nah, if Rask could have had better than a lousy .932sv% we win the cup :sarcasm:

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Would Bergeron have even been able to play that game 7 in 2013? If he wouldn't have been able to go, I think Chicago still takes that. Granted that triple OT game was a real bummer

2019 is the killer and that still hurts

Reactions: BMC and Baddkarma

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Biggest takeaways...

Watching us get tossed around like lil bitches was hard to watch...

ST. Louis played a heavy game and abused us...

We got outcoached...

Sweeney's go smaller, faster on D implodes..

Reactions: BMC and Baddkarma

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Game 7 sucked.

The Blues choked the Bruins out the way the Bruins did Vancouver in 2011.

It was all about their D. Binnington, what the F ever.

All that Bruins transition offense was shut down by the Blues for 1 game with Ryan O'Rielly absolutely killing it.

Really hard to watch the Bruins system and philosophy turned around and used on the Bruins.

Reactions: BMC and CamFan81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad