2019 Stanley Cup Final 3 years ago......The Cup that was there for the taking but........

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The most frustrated I’ve ever been in sports. We were the better team and it wasn’t even close. Just absolutely humiliated on home ice game 7. Almost makes me feel bad for Canucks fans.

I wanted our group to get another one so bad. Was such an incredible and tight knit team. Felt like fate.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am at peace with 2013 and 2019. I am 53 years old and don't remember 70 or 72. This is what makes 2011 so special. If that's the only cup I get, I can live with that. It's been a really fun run. Lots of teams don't get that at all.

Think about how Canuck fans feel. No really, don't yell at me, think about how they feel. 2 Cup Final, game 7 losses 17 years apart.
I will be 70 in Dec. I do remember 70 and 72. It was a long wait between 72 and 2011. I was afraid I would never see the Bs win the cup again so 2011 was a blast. The only thing I would have done to improve it is having the Bs win in Boston so I could have seen it in person.

I am not sure how many more seasons I will be able to afford my ST and be able to drive to and from Boston. I would love to see another cup in my lifetime.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’ve taken the stance that if they didn’t care then neither do i. Total garbage effort, not just in game 7. They didn’t deserve the cup.

In the moment though. Yikes. I’ve never been so heated as I was on the Marchand line change

Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Iirc the bruins were something like 6/14 on the powerplay by the end of game 3 and I think it really hurt them.

They relied too much on the powerplay and when the chances dried up the couldn't hang 5 on 5.

RoR dominating Bergeron and co. Also was a big reason it even went 7 in the first place.

If Bergeron could have won his matchup against O'Reilly the Bruins without a doubt end that series sooner.

Blues were the better team 5 on 5.

Blues had like a 5% powerplay percentage while the Bruins were near 30%

Reactions: Forester65

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The loss spelled the end of Bruce Cassidy. Neely and Jacobs blamed him - right or wrong. He only survived more seasons because sweeney protected him, they had the best record 2020 and covid threw everything up in the air. I firmly believe cassidy is let go after that cup loss otherwise.

Marchand’s line change was a huge blow, but the team still had 40 minutes to score 2 goals.

How they didn’t change up their strategy to go right at binnington is beyond me. Perimeter play has been this team’s major weakness for awhile now. When they are doing well they do excellent, when they aren’t, they can’t seem to adjust. I don’t have the stats and could be wrong but I think the bruins had an awful record falling behind 2 goals this season, I’m sure most teams are less than 500 with that stat, but we were really low. What happened to the bruins teams that come back?

The 2013 bruins would have won that game 7. Even down 3-1 they would have found a way. Not this club and it’s a shame.

Bad omens with “easy path” and sweeping Carolina to go on and do that stupid f***ing scrimmage.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
This series's end changed how I look at the NHL forever. I don't care how this sounds, this team was robbed of a SC because of terrible officiating. The lack of consistency as well as the blind eye to the barrage of headshots was unforgivable IMO.

We were clearly the better team when the game was called correctly.

The NHL and The Blues can go F themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So because one guy is injured it makes it all better? I've posted this before, but key guys on that team flat out didn't show up for the SCF:

Marchand - 0G/0A
Krug - 0G/0A
Horton - 0G/2A
Jagr - 0G/3A

add to that guys like Seguin and Krejci also managed to score 0 goals in the Stanley Cup Finals. So who exactly scored for Boston?

Lucic - 4G
Bergeron - 4G
Paille - 2G
Kelly - 2G
Chara - 1G
Boychuk - 1G
Peverley - 1G

Krug wasn't a key guy in 2013. He was a surprise contributor after getting forced into the lineup in round 2 against NY.

Horton had an injured shoulder

Seguin, Marchand and Jagr were bad no shows for sure with Seguin being by far the worst of the bunch.

2019 is an embarrassing example of ineptitude behind the bench being on full display. No adjustments in game, no gameplan and losing 3 of 4 at home in the SCF is beyond inexcusable. That should be grounds for immediately getting fired.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
To win a Stanley Cup, your best players have to be your best players.

And in that final series, the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line was dominated by Ryan O'Reilly's line.

That was your ballgame, folks.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
That none-call on the Acciari slew foot is one of my worst memories as a Bruins fan. I'll never forgive Sutherland for that none-call.

How they don't call that in the 3rd period of a cup final game I'll never understand.

A large part of my NHL fandom died that moment and will never recover. I can never truly take the league seriously again and will always have strong (and well-founded, cough Tim Peel) suspicions that games are rigged.

I think I have watched maybe 5 regular season games total since that series- largely stopped watching just like the NBA. Can't give so much of my limited free time to a product that I do not feel is a genuine sporting contest in many cases.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I was never so confident in a Bruins win then I was for game 7. They couldn't possibly lose this at home right? I was already planning what Stanley cup Champs gear I was going to buy before the game.

I had to work that night so I couldn't watch it live but was pumped to watch it the next day. No way I could wait until the next day to find out the final score so I checked and just couldn't believe it. I still haven't even watched the highlights of that game.

2013 was disappointing in the way that they lost but Chicago was definitely a worthy winner. 2019 was just crushing. Losing to an inferior opponent in what should of been the last dance for the old core to go out on top. This one still stings.

I hated all the respect shown Chicago at the time as being worthy and a likeable team.

Absolute scum organization 10x worse than 2019 St Louis which were dirty and trashy but nowhere near Chicago level.

Pathetic that Rask/Chara defensive/goalie/leadership combo let us lose both series to those organizations.

G2 should have been a blowout. G5 was a horrendous call but we shouldn't have been scoreless at that point. G7 you were just asking to lose on bad bounces.

Didn’t he score the only goal in Game 7?
Marchand linechange backbreaker that ended the game isn't scored if someone else better defensively is on the ice and steps up.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Until they win another cup (and that could be a long time away), this is the one I'll never get over. It was there for the taking, at home, against an opponent who with all due respect was the worst cup winner since 1993, blown because of a perfect storm of stupid mistakes and puck luck.

They came out on fire and were outplaying the Blues the entire first period, but failed to convert when they had their chances. I forget if it was Marchand or Johansson but someone had a wide open net and shot it right into Binnington's armpit. We were carrying play, they get one counterattack and ROR bats in a bouncing puck. Deflating enough, but they were still carrying play until Marchand made the stupidest line change in NHL history with less than ten seconds left in the period. From there it was over and the next 40 minutes was like watching your own public execution get drawn out.

I've lived through some bad losses (2002, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014) which run the gamut from pure rage to crestfallen sadness, but 2019 will always be the worst of the worst. The feeling that stewed afterwards wasn't anger or depression but just feeling completely broken. f*** that game and that series, forever.

It was Marchand. Everyone talks about his bad line change on the second goal but for me thats when the game turned, he buries that and its a different story that night

Bmf316nhl

But there's no dog
Jul 8, 2007
3 miles south of MA.
Bruins were down 2-0 for the bulk of that game. I was always watching that game with the belief that they could come back. I kept saying "if they can get one, they'll win the game".

It was Binnington's save on Nordstrom halfway through the 3rd that sealed the deal for me. Blues went down and made it 3-0 shortly there after and it was game over.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I have longed wonder if I was the only person in the building who was really happy when the Bruins scored a meaningless goal late because it meant Tim Thomas is still the only goalie to record a game 7 shutout on the road in the final.
you could tell that goal bothered shit for brains, probably meant he understood he would have been only the 2nd one.

That none-call on the Acciari slew foot is one of my worst memories as a Bruins fan. I'll never forgive Sutherland for that none-call.

How they don't call that in the 3rd period of a cup final game I'll never understand.

It was a terrible no good awful non call, but for FFS Acciari is STILL ON THE ICE till the goal is scored looking at the ref. if they aren't calling it get up and rejoin the play.

Reactions: EvilDead and Clode

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
you could tell that goal bothered shit for brains, probably meant he understood he would have been only the 2nd one.

It was a terrible no good awful non call, but for FFS Acciari is STILL ON THE ICE till the goal is scored looking at the ref. if they aren't calling it get up and rejoin the play.

Yup, probably one of my biggest issues with the Cassidy teams, they got into the habit of whining and looking for whistles instead of playing through it

NMF

May 24, 2012
Chose to buy a ticket to game 7, instead of buying the ex-gf a ring. Let's just say that game 7 will forever haunt me. Lol. With all the disappointments they have caused me over the years, you would think I would have know better. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I’ve taken the stance that if they didn’t care then neither do i. Total garbage effort, not just in game 7. They didn’t deserve the cup.

In the moment though. Yikes. I’ve never been so heated as I was on the Marchand line change

Rather easy to say, sitting on your couch that trained athletes that work the majority of their lives to get to that point, just don't care. Garbage effort? Get out of here with that nonsense.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Rather easy to say, sitting on your couch that trained athletes that work the majority of their lives to get to that point, just don't care. Garbage effort? Get out of here with that nonsense.
Mental mistakes. No physicality. No push back. What else should we call that?

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
2013 imo hurts more. With 1:16 they held a 1 goal lead and forcing a game 7. They shit the bed and gave up 2 goals in 20 seconds. They weren't even good goals either. It was classic Bruins not playing a full 60 minutes.

2013 doesn't even come close to the pain from 2019.

Chicago was the best team in the league and they deserved to win.
The only thing that upsets me about this series is Seguin's partying and coasting in the games while Bergeron played with a punctered lung.

I've onlny been following the Bruins for about 12-13 years and saw some really bad stuff like losing against Montreal in '14 when another Cup was more than possible.

But that non-call against Acciari in game 5 will probably haunt me forever.
I just hate how the refs changed their way to call the games after game 3. How multiple cheap shots against Bruins players went uncalled. Just imagine getting one of those so deserved 5 min powerplays ... and I'm not even mentioning the suspensions.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Yup, probably one of my biggest issues with the Cassidy teams, they got into the habit of whining and looking for whistles instead of playing through it

I watched the whole thing through and at no point is Acciari even motioning toward the ref for a call. From the time Bozak trips him until the goal goes in is about 9 seconds. That was a hard smack he took, been there done that myself.

And unless somehow Acciari was about to magically spring back to his feet immediately after the impact by Bozak, he wasn't going to change the outcome of the play regardless.

I'm not getting into Cassidy teams looking for calls. In this particular instance, I cannot find fault towards Acciari.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Mental mistakes. No physicality. No push back. What else should we call that?

On the contrary, I think the game 7 effort was fine. They came out firing on all cylinders, there was just no finish when they needed it in the first period. ROR's goal was a dinky bounce on a counterattack, and they were still carrying play after that until Marchand peeled off for no reason with 12 seconds left.

The Blues were an undertalented physical defensive team that parked the bus for the remaining 40 minutes when it got to 2-0. It wasn't that the Bruins weren't trying to break into the zone to generate offense, the Blues went full lockdown mode. The worst thing that you can do against a team built like that is fall behind by multiple goals. The more chances the Bruins took opened up counterattacking chances and they made it 3-0 and it was curtains.

I've come to terms with that game not being a question of effort outside of Marchand's crucial turning point of a brainfart. It was much more puck luck.

Game 7 was a nightmare worst case scenario. Game 4 we got whipped when the Blues played their best game with their backs against the wall. And game 5 we got screwed by Sutherland plain and simple. I'd say if we're going to blame the team's effort, they lost that series in game 2 when they no-showed the overtime period. I know they were playing short on defense when Gryz got headshotted out of the game early, but they just completely folded and let St. Louis control the puck for the entire late third and OT.

Reactions: PB37

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
THE BIG ONE.gif

The thing that bothered me was that the B's were dominated by Tampa and Washington during the regular season and it seemed doubtful that would change in the playoffs.
Then Carolina and Columbus; 2 teams we dominated, knocked them out of the playoffs.
You can't ask for more.
Still didn't capitalize (no pun).
Like Gonzo said in his post - way too reliant on the power play.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
2013 doesn't even come close to the pain from 2019.

Chicago was the best team in the league and they deserved to win.
The only thing that upsets me about this series is Seguin's partying and coasting in the games while Bergeron played with a punctered lung.

I've onlny been following the Bruins for about 12-13 years and saw some really bad stuff like losing against Montreal in '14 when another Cup was more than possible.

But that non-call against Acciari in game 5 will probably haunt me forever.
I just hate how the refs changed their way to call the games after game 3. How multiple cheap shots against Bruins players went uncalled. Just imagine getting one of those so deserved 5 min powerplays ... and I'm not even mentioning the suspensions.

To each their own, but if the Bruins win the Cup in 2013 you probably don't see Seguin traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00