2019 Stanley Cup Final 3 years ago......The Cup that was there for the taking but........

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1655100053201.png

1655100137782.png

1655100230421.png

1655100166270.png

After a lot of thought, I now have to accept that Game 7 of the 2019 SCF was the worst Bruins loss in my lifetime.

Worse than Too Many Men in 1979? Worse than Ken Dryden in 1971? The answer is sadly yes.

The reason is simple - unlike the other games the Cup was in TD Garden

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Until they win another cup (and that could be a long time away), this is the one I'll never get over. It was there for the taking, at home, against an opponent who with all due respect was the worst cup winner since 1993, blown because of a perfect storm of stupid mistakes and puck luck.

They came out on fire and were outplaying the Blues the entire first period, but failed to convert when they had their chances. I forget if it was Marchand or Johansson but someone had a wide open net and shot it right into Binnington's armpit. We were carrying play, they get one counterattack and ROR bats in a bouncing puck. Deflating enough, but they were still carrying play until Marchand made the stupidest line change in NHL history with less than ten seconds left in the period. From there it was over and the next 40 minutes was like watching your own public execution get drawn out.

I've lived through some bad losses (2002, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014) which run the gamut from pure rage to crestfallen sadness, but 2019 will always be the worst of the worst. The feeling that stewed afterwards wasn't anger or depression but just feeling completely broken. f*** that game and that series, forever.

Mitglieder 37

Dec 7, 2019
I will always remember June 12 because of this horrific event, better team just didn't get it done. Until they win another cup this will always sting.

Reactions: McGarnagle

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not scoring early in G5 or G7 when we were dominating is why we lost. G2 as well should have been put away.

St Louis only good game was Game 4 when they responded to being totally humiliated.

Bruce Cassidy sucks good riddance this was a horrendous loss and we were gifted the easiest path imaginable to the Cup.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Not scoring early in G5 or G7 when we were dominating is why we lost. G2 as well should have been put away.

St Louis only good game was Game 4 when they responded to being totally humiliated.

Bruce Cassidy sucks good riddance this was a horrendous loss and we were gifted the easiest path imaginable to the Cup.
Too bad the Bruins didn't have a completely accidental crash the net moment with Binnington like Kadri.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Your last sentence is what will always kill me about this series.

Washington & Tampa Bay, 2 teams far better than the Bruins, were knocked out early. The Cup was right there for the Bruins to take and they just flat out blew it. They will never have an easier path to a Stanley Cup. Now they are on the decline and may never make it back to the Final in my lifetime (I'm 59). This one will never stop hurting.

:rant: :cry: :madfire:

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I am at peace with 2013 and 2019. I am 53 years old and don't remember 70 or 72. This is what makes 2011 so special. If that's the only cup I get, I can live with that. It's been a really fun run. Lots of teams don't get that at all.

Think about how Canuck fans feel. No really, don't yell at me, think about how they feel. 2 Cup Final, game 7 losses 17 years apart.

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
I was never so confident in a Bruins win then I was for game 7. They couldn't possibly lose this at home right? I was already planning what Stanley cup Champs gear I was going to buy before the game.

I had to work that night so I couldn't watch it live but was pumped to watch it the next day. No way I could wait until the next day to find out the final score so I checked and just couldn't believe it. I still haven't even watched the highlights of that game.

2013 was disappointing in the way that they lost but Chicago was definitely a worthy winner. 2019 was just crushing. Losing to an inferior opponent in what should of been the last dance for the old core to go out on top. This one still stings.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Putting a concussed Gryzlyk back into the series was a joke. We dominated Game 3 because he got hurt and was out.
no backes or clifton in game 7 was a bad decision for sure. never forget it.
marchand not burying thst empty net.
tuukka not making that big save after all our pressure.
sucked.
series shouldve been over in 5 games max

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
2013 imo hurts more. With 1:16 they held a 1 goal lead and forcing a game 7. They shit the bed and gave up 2 goals in 20 seconds. They weren't even good goals either. It was classic Bruins not playing a full 60 minutes.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
2013 imo hurts more. With 1:16 they held a 1 goal lead and forcing a game 7. They shit the bed and gave up 2 goals in 20 seconds. They weren't even good goals either. It was classic Bruins not playing a full 60 minutes.
I felt the same way and then I found out Bergy had that little thing called a punctured lung. Then that loss didn't hurt as much.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I felt the same way and then I found out Bergy had that little thing called a punctured lung. Then that loss didn't hurt as much.

So because one guy is injured it makes it all better? I've posted this before, but key guys on that team flat out didn't show up for the SCF:

Marchand - 0G/0A
Krug - 0G/0A
Horton - 0G/2A
Jagr - 0G/3A

add to that guys like Seguin and Krejci also managed to score 0 goals in the Stanley Cup Finals. So who exactly scored for Boston?

Lucic - 4G
Bergeron - 4G
Paille - 2G
Kelly - 2G
Chara - 1G
Boychuk - 1G
Peverley - 1G

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
The most heartbreaking loss for me was in 79 followed by losing to Philly in 74, then 13 ... The Edmonton team loses disappointing but not unexpected.

The most infuriating loss was 19. That finals series has to the the worst ever officiating in the finals that I have ever seen. It really ruined my respect and expectation for a fairly called NHL game.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
That none-call on the Acciari slew foot is one of my worst memories as a Bruins fan. I'll never forgive Sutherland for that none-call.

How they don't call that in the 3rd period of a cup final game I'll never understand.

^^^^This!!!

Reactions: BruinDust

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The most heartbreaking loss for me was in 79 followed by losing to Philly in 74, then 13 ... The Edmonton team loses disappointing but not unexpected.

The most infuriating loss was 19. That finals series has to the the worst ever officiating in the finals that I have ever seen. It really ruined my respect and expectation for a fairly called NHL game.

This is pretty much how I feel too. Same….going back to too many men and friggen Kate Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad