Pre-Game Talk: (3) Washington Capitals VS (6) New York Rangers (Schedule in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
This is great! Much better than having to play the Pens, Habs or even Boston.

Rangers in 6

Series MVP - Richards

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Beaver played great against these guys last season...

The Crapitals finished with an amazing 1 more point than us. Why are people acting as if they are going to steamroll us?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
??

He has done nothing in the playoffs his career. Sure he has won some international competition, but playoffs are whole new animal.

4 games = Nash's playoff career.

How can you judge him on that?

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
I think the Caps right now are much better than they were in last years playoffs. Then again, Hunter's team played a style that is more associated with playoff success (more defensive). I have no clue how this turns out. Probably another 7 games.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
??

He has done nothing in the playoffs his career. Sure he has won some international competition, but playoffs are whole new animal.

Why not wait until the playoffs start before judging his play?

He has played 4 games in the playoffs in his NHL career. 1G, 2A, 3 PTS. that's not "nothing". Plus, it's a small sample size.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Best PP in the NHL.

Top 5 offense

Ovechkin is currently the best healthy player in the world.

Backstrom is a top 10 center.

Brouwer has 2nd most goals after Ovie the past month IIRC.

Riberiro is a PPG elite playmaking center

Erskine crease clearing D-man.

Much better depth: Erat, Laich, Johansson, etc.

Their defense is far better than ours without Staal. Green, Carlson, Alzner > McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto.

Holtby has .930+ sv percetange past 2 months.

25-10-2 their last 37

It'll be a series only because of Lundqvist, otherwise they'd probably sweep us.

They were only mediocre early the year because Oates new coach and he implemented the same system the Devils had. The same system last year that ousted our team in the playoffs. The same system that wore out all our players. Same system that got Torts heavily outcoached.

A bunch of vague statements does not a series make.

Also, of course NYR would probably get swept without their best player. Washington would probably get swept without OV. Any team with an elite player depends on that elite player for the playoffs.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Going to need to stay out of the box. Not sure about how Adam Oates' system will translate in the playoffs.

Split the 1st 2 games in Washington and go from there.

But good to see that the negativity is alive and well.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He hasn't done anything cause he hasn't had a chance to

He hasn't done anything because he was never able to carry a team to the post season without The King between the pipes.

Nash got his team to the post season once and didn't do a whole lot there.

I hope he does dominate. But, for a guy with no playoff experience, I'm not putting all my eggs into one basket with Nash.

I know that everyone here hates Richards, but I do think he will have a strong showing with his experience and finish in April. And I think he will be a key piece if we beat the Capitals. I also think Callahan will be a major impact player if we are to win this series. And, of course, Henrik will have to stand on his head.

It'd be nice if Nash contributes, but I'm not counting on it.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
??

But he's never been a Ranger in the playoffs!

I know it doesn't make sense, but judging a player based on 4 games doesn't either!

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
??

Ehh, we don't really know until we know. He's been a horse for us this year and I think he has the potential to be a playoff monster.
Best PP in the NHL.

Top 5 offense

Their defense is far better than ours without Staal. Green, Carlson, Alzner > McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto.

25-10-2 their last 37

It'll be a series only because of Lundqvist, otherwise they'd probably sweep us.

They were only mediocre early the year because Oates new coach and he implemented the same system the Devils had. The same system last year that ousted our team in the playoffs. The same system that wore out all our players. Same system that got Torts heavily outcoached.

Steps broke out this year.

The Zucc signing was a good one. He adds a lot of playmaking ability and great on-ice vision that this team desperately needed and could use moving forward.

Lundqvist.

Nash, as I said above, is an elite player and could tear it up something fierce in the playoffs. As you said, it's a whole new animal, and I think Nash will elevate his play in ways that will surprise us (if that's possible).

Brass, Clowe (if healthy), Moore, are all great additions to this team, adding depth that I think rivals Washington's.

If Staal comes back..look out.

We've beat them before, we're surging right now, and we can taste blood.

Cally has stepped it up in a huge way for us. He's becoming a leader again and he will take that into the playoffs.

I'm not one to talk **** about any series because it could go either way, but you can't count the Rangers out by any means. Since the deadline they have been a different team and the team they are now just makes me feel a lot better moving forward into the playoffs than the team they were, (and many still think they are)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Best PP in the NHL.

Top 5 offense

25-10-2 their last 37

So we're gonna neglect all the negatives?
Such as just a quick 2

1. 3rd to worst PK so maybe our useless PP will be slightly less useless

2. Num 1 PP is minimized as we took the least minor penalties in the league this season.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
So we're gonna neglect all the negatives?
Such as just a quick 2

1. 3rd to worst PK so maybe our useless PP will be slightly less useless

2. Num 1 PP is minimized as we took the least minor penalties in the league this season.

Sshhhh....we're only allowed to say negative things about the Rangers and say that the other team is better.

JayQueensNY88*

if staal and dorsett are in for game 1 along with clowe making an appearance in this series we have a good chance

Hopefully Dorsett and Clowe are gtg. Staal,I hope NYR moves him at the draft,but won't ever happen

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Best PP in the NHL.

Top 5 offense

25-10-2 their last 37

Rangers:

Best goalie in the NHL.

Top 5 Defense.

Rick Nash is good at hockey and Brad Richards is starting to look good.

Derek Stepan, Brad Richards, Derick Brassard are our top 3 centers. Not a Boyle to be found.

Derek Stepan hasn't gone two consecutive games without scoring since March 3rd IIRC.

Derek Stepan is a PPG elite playmaking center (this year anyway).

John Erskine? Why is he even in your argument?

Depth? players not in our top 6 : Derick Brassard, Ryan Clowe, Taylor Pyatt, Brian Boyle. Dorsett will hopefully be back too. Depth is not an issue for us.

McD, G, DelZ > Green, Alzner, Carlson

Henrik Lundqvist >>>>>>> Holtby . Holtby is good but if either team should be worried about the opponent's goalie, it's not the Rangers.

We are 20-13-3 in our last 37...more importantly 9-3-1 since the trade deadline when our team's complexion changed.

The Caps are the hottest team in hockey and they will be a very tough test. But to say we're going to lose before it even starts...come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad