GDT: #3| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 11th | 8:00 PM | F/W 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Eberle and Beauvillier have always been streaky scorers. Both will disappear for several weeks during the regular season when they go cold.

What I find troubling about Eberle's play right now is that his drought now seems to be affecting his puck management and it's starting to bring his line down. Up until Game 2 even though Ebs looked snakebit he was still helping Barzy and Lee generate good looks in the O zone. That's gone now.
Agree and that streakiness has to go if the Isles are to progress or even win. I was hoping Ebs goal would put him back on track but it doesn't seem to

Reactions: JoeM and MJF

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Agree and that streakiness has to go if the Isles are to progress or even win. I was hoping Ebs goal would put him back on track but it doesn't seem to

In Eb's defense a lot of the passes he's getting are at his feet right in front of the goalie. It's hard to get good stick position or any speed on the shot. Rather than trying to make the perfect pass I'd prefer we just pepper the goalie and go for rebounds.

Tuckisles

Oct 21, 2005
I have been trying to defend Eberle for a while but at this point he is just too soft and does not seem to be willing to get dirty. If Casey is ready to play in game 4 I would love to see Pageau up with Barzal and Lee and have Brassard center Uncle Leo and Ross the Boss.

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
Yeah that struck me as well. NYI was awful at exiting their zone, sloppy and it led to too many chances. He have to be cleaner if they want to take this series deep.

I thought their game 2 was better, but it was a gutsy, gritty effort/execution that's how it's got to be against a powerhouse.

I hope Point misses the rest of the series, that could swing things significantly. Do we know his status?

Also key that they scored a few on Vasi, maybe that gives Beau his goal scoring confidence back.

Varly was fine, he didn't have to make gamebreaking stops b/c the structure was pretty solid in front of him. He made the stops he should've.

Need to be better Sunday.
I thought Varly made some great saves in last 2-games I hope he can play well rest of way!!!!

Reactions: beach

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
This was not a well played game by any stretch for the Islanders, but they were resilient and found a way. I told my 12-year old son after the second period that we weren't winning with just a 3-spot. I' "jinxed them" was his reply when the Lightning had tied it at 3, but luckily we got that beautiful wrap around pass from Beau.

For all the knock on Varly, he was HUGE last night and although maddening at times, we are nowhere without him. That is 10 quality starts out of 16, which is even one more than the clearly superior Vasilevskiy. And worth mentioning for the what might have been and Lehners' 4 shutouts in the postseason so far, even he has only been 7 out of 14 in quality starts....

We were dreadful in clearing the puck and 19 turnovers was unacceptable. We have to clean that up to have any chance in coming back in this series. We also lost the face off battle pretty bad after winning it in the first two games, which losing CC has alot to do with that I am sure.

I think Trotz should consider taking a page out of TB's book when it comes to dressing 7 blue liners. Greene has looked spent lately and as a unit they are just not cohesive, with the exception of Pelech. That is now 27 giveaways from the same six and only 4 takeaways in the series.

Another body (JB or Noah) would probably help more than whatever winger is getting 8-9 minutes on that third line, assuming Casey is back for game four. Start Brassard back on the right side and let Lee, Beauvillier and even Bailey double some shifts on the left.

Anyway you slice it, we were lucky to come out of this game with a win the way we played. Offensively we got the puck to the net (35 shots). Hopefully we can do more of that Sunday and play more Islander hockey that resembled game 2 and tie this thing up....
Great post!!

Reactions: TMI

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Why is Trotz so reluctant to dress Ross? In my opinion Ross is more then just a goon. He plays a physical game and actually plays responsibly. I think he gets an unfair rap as just a goon because he is so good a fighting. I thought in the last series when Philly was getting dirty he came in and made them responsible for their play. Really hope Trotz dresses him for game 4

Reactions: mm11

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
We could easily be up 2-1, game 2 was stolen from us. Albeit, 20 seconds of bad play lead to our demise. We win tomorrow and we are right back in the thick of it. Just need to get back to playing isles hockey, bang bodies and slow the pace down. and shoot more!! stop being so cute.

Tampa Bay has taken a note from the Flyers, get pucks to the net through screens. It's smart, we clog the middle of the ice so much that this plan is our kryptonite.

I will say this, Ive become a big fan of Hedman and Vasilevsky. If this is how Hedman plays year round, he isn't just a supertar, the guy is a generational d-man. For Vasilevsky, I see a lot of prime Kipper in him. He is always in position. As much as I hate to face him, I love that there is a young goalie in the NHL that has the talent to be elite year in and year out.

Reactions: Islander Class

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
A lot of our fans are having a hard time with the concept that Boychuck is HEALTHY and our EIGHTH defenseman . . . Dobson would play before him against a forechecking, fast team like the other 3 teams remaining. In an 11/7 lineup you could play Dobson with Brassard and Komarov on the wing. With Cizikas in the lineup you aren't going 11/7 anyway. If we lose Game 4 I fully expect Dobson in for Greene in Game 5.

Not a chance Dobson gets ice time in the playoffs over a healthy Boychuck. Hickey will get in a game playing on the right side before Dobson does.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
We could easily be up 2-1, game 2 was stolen from us. Albeit, 20 seconds of bad play lead to our demise. We win tomorrow and we are right back in the thick of it. Just need to get back to playing isles hockey, bang bodies and slow the pace down. and shoot more!! stop being so cute.

Tampa Bay has taken a note from the Flyers, get pucks to the net through screens. It's smart, we clog the middle of the ice so much that this plan is our kryptonite.

I will say this, Ive become a big fan of Hedman and Vasilevsky. If this is how Hedman plays year round, he isn't just a supertar, the guy is a generational d-man. For Vasilevsky, I see a lot of prime Kipper in him. He is always in position. As much as I hate to face him, I love that there is a young goalie in the NHL that has the talent to be elite year in and year out.
Huh?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Why is Trotz so reluctant to dress Ross? In my opinion Ross is more then just a goon. He plays a physical game and actually plays responsibly. I think he gets an unfair rap as just a goon because he is so good a fighting. I thought in the last series when Philly was getting dirty he came in and made them responsible for their play. Really hope Trotz dresses him for game 4

If I’d have to guess why Trotz is reluctant to play him... I’d say positioning.

Not that I can really tell if and when Johnston is out of positioning, but Trotz can. Trotz knows exactly where and when he wants his players. maybe Johnston has missed some reads?

Not advocating for Johnston to play or sit, just trying to give a reasonable guess to your question.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Didn’t Ross take a bad penalty or two the last time he was in? Maybe that’s why

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lack of post-season experience and whether he wants a more defensively sound lineup or a lineup suited for a heavy game. Just my $0.02

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
So many posts about whether BT should play Ross, Knucks or MDC. Literally the last guy chosen and not a difference maker no matter who he picks. Hardly worth all of the ink.

My thoughts too. BT has his finger on the team’s pulse more than we’ll ever know- and I have no do doubt that he’ll round out the bottom of the line-up every night for specific reasons that are only identifiable to him. Fun chatter (something has to get us through the off days!)- but essentially pointless to speculate IMHO...

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Vasilevsky stole the game. And yes, goalies can steal games if you didn’t know.
Yes, thank you, I'm familiar with the phenomenon but that's hardly the context in which you used the phrase and it still isn't what happened. We may have outshot them and made Vasy's numbers look good, but it's not like he had to stand on his head. 40 shots. About 38 of them right in to his solar plexus.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Me? Im an islanders conspiracy theorist??

I am steveh124. Decided on a username change
Oh, I know you. Sort of. In a virtual sense. In any event, my bad.

Still, when you state with certainty that it WAS a high stick I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. And, I think you would agree, many, if not most, posters here simply are not capable of watching everything that happens on the ice with at least some objectivity. Apparently we're the only team being subjected to cross checks, slashes, trips and all manner of cheap shots and unfair and missed calls without taking any ourselves.

Reactions: BrockLobster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad