GDT: #3| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 11th | 8:00 PM | F/W 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It looked high but I think it was too close to overturn.

Ehrlrd8XYAAeiQP.png

Exactly. If it wasn't already called a goal on the ice, then maybe it gets washed out after review. But they weren't going to overturn that call with it that close and I wasn't even upset by it.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
For all of the cliches of “statement game” this was exactly that.
Did we play our best game? No
But did we play physical to the very end? Of course
Did we get under the skin of the opponent? Yes
Did we fight for no good reason? Umm yes
Did we claw back to get a crucial goal in the 3rd period? Hell yeah
Did we get a game in the series? f***in a we did
Did we not back down to a more talented team? You bet your sweet f***ing ass we did!

One game at a time boys!!!
Even after all that, it was like weathering a hurricane for 60 mins. Varlamov bailed this team out. They need to tighten up a lot. Clear the zone, provide better support, make smarter plays, etc.

Reactions: wingnutks and JoeM

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
This was not a well played game by any stretch for the Islanders, but they were resilient and found a way. I told my 12-year old son after the second period that we weren't winning with just a 3-spot. I' "jinxed them" was his reply when the Lightning had tied it at 3, but luckily we got that beautiful wrap around pass from Beau.

For all the knock on Varly, he was HUGE last night and although maddening at times, we are nowhere without him. That is 10 quality starts out of 16, which is even one more than the clearly superior Vasilevskiy. And worth mentioning for the what might have been and Lehners' 4 shutouts in the postseason so far, even he has only been 7 out of 14 in quality starts....

We were dreadful in clearing the puck and 19 turnovers was unacceptable. We have to clean that up to have any chance in coming back in this series. We also lost the face off battle pretty bad after winning it in the first two games, which losing CC has alot to do with that I am sure.

I think Trotz should consider taking a page out of TB's book when it comes to dressing 7 blue liners. Greene has looked spent lately and as a unit they are just not cohesive, with the exception of Pelech. That is now 27 giveaways from the same six and only 4 takeaways in the series.

Another body (JB or Noah) would probably help more than whatever winger is getting 8-9 minutes on that third line, assuming Casey is back for game four. Start Brassard back on the right side and let Lee, Beauvillier and even Bailey double some shifts on the left.

Anyway you slice it, we were lucky to come out of this game with a win the way we played. Offensively we got the puck to the net (35 shots). Hopefully we can do more of that Sunday and play more Islander hockey that resembled game 2 and tie this thing up....

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
T
I think Trotz should consider taking a page out of TB's book when it comes to dressing 7 blue liners. Greene has looked spent lately and as a unit they are just not cohesive, with the exception of Pelech. That is now 27 giveaways from the same six and only 4 takeaways in the series.

Another body (JB or Noah) would probably help more than whatever winger is getting 8-9 minutes on that third line, assuming Casey is back for game four. Start Brassard back on the right side and let Lee, Beauvillier and even Bailey double some shifts on the left.

Anyway you slice it, we were lucky to come out of this game with a win the way we played. Offensively we got the puck to the net (35 shots). Hopefully we can do more of that Sunday and play more Islander hockey that resembled game 2 and tie this thing up....

I give this group a lot of credit for bending and not breaking when they blew their 2 goal, 3rd period lead.

As for getting Boychuk or Dobson into game 4, I know Andrew Gross reported Boychuk was cleared to play in game 1 of the Flyers series,but we have not seen him despite the isles chippy battles against Philly and TB. I am wondering if he is really 100% and able to play at this point.I am not looking at Boychuk as an option.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This win has triggered every salty troll on the main board. God bless our owners, Lou, and Trotz for making this day possible.

Big thank you to Tavares too, for unburdening our team and allowing them to blossom while simultaneously helping Toronto out of the playoffs in round 1 for 2 years and counting.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Even after all that, it was like weathering a hurricane for 60 mins. Varlamov bailed this team out. They need to tighten up a lot. Clear the zone, provide better support, make smarter plays, etc.
I think they needed this game to happen the way it did. They saw Varlamov come up big when tested early and often. This will win back trust in him in net.

Reactions: JoeM

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
he needed to wait a second then lift that one probably
Late in posting - I would’ve liked to see Barzal shoot 5-hole on that breakaway! There was a lot of room & Mike Bossy would’ve had that puck hit the back of the net before the goalie could even move. And why did he pass it from the crease? I LOVE Barry just need him to shoot more sometimes. So happy they won - hope they can even series on Sunday!! LGI!!

Reactions: MJF

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
5th overall pick MDC needs to be waived multiple times until he becomes another teams problem
I thought Dal Colle was really good against Philly in Game 7 - a lot of little smart, subtle plays. Nothing flashy but always seemed to make the smart play, gain red line & forecheck. I think he’s the least of our problems & I think he will play again and with one timely goal or assist can be a hero. Not sure but how old is he 24-ish?

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
Lee invisible and Eberle is a soft waste of space.
I think the snake that bit Eberle went after Beauvilier, Lee, & Pageau lol. I’m glad Beau got his 1st goal in awhile not counting the one empty netter plus an assist. Also glad Pageau got an empty netter plus an assist.

Oh and I’ve come up with a new moniker that makes no sense at all and I can’t help myself but every time Nelson does something good which is often lately, I scream “Uncle Woody” at the top of my lungs.

As for the snake that bit Eberle, I take full responsibility for the snake that bit him:-(. I called his cold streak after 5-6 games without a goal & then he proceeded to go 11-games without a goal before finally getting one. I will say he did play very well in Games 6 & 7 against Philly & had 6 assists in that series but I swear in Game 6 I think he missed like 6 grade A chances to score. It’s my fault I’m sorry:-(. I know he got 1 goal finally in Game 1 I believe but he hasn’t looked good lately. I hope he gets one in off his ass and that gets him going on a hot streak as we really need more goals from 1st line. Lee was doing good and has scored some BIG goals but has gotten a bit snake bitten himself lately.

in general, like someone else posted, we NEED to get some damn puck luck & shoot a couple from the point that actually get through for deflections or off of someone’s ass I don’t care how ugly. Seems like we haven’t gotten a goal like that in a long while. I hope we get some of that puck luck in game 4 and even the series by any means possible.

LGI!!

On a side note, Eberle’s penalty 2-minutes into the 3rd period almost cost me 1 of my 6 kitchen chairs lol.

JoeM

Nov 5, 2019
I doubt it happens but I would really like to find a team to take Eberle off our hands.
I’m not too worried about Eberle contract - 4 more years @$5.5M/per - He’s not the worst and has contributed including great games 6 & 7 against Philly. His confidence & bad luck in game 6 was funny to see - I felt bad for the poor bastard. I hope he can pot one in game 4 - he needs one for his confidence really bad!!!!!

Reactions: JKP

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I wonder about kuhnhackel too, unless he is hurt but not sure why he keeps being passed on.

Shocked Barry played Ladd over him
Made no sense on a lot of levels
Kuhnhackel skates better, has won a cup also, plays d minded hockey. And what does playing Ladd a game do to the prospect of LTIRing him?

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Puh-lease… Doing anything better than Dal Colle is no measurement for being suited up in the NHL conference finals.

I don’t get the Ross hate, he is bottom six player.
When you can actually skate, catch someone to hit them and get a shot off that makes you a better option than MDC, and Ladd. Playing a team that is starting to take liberties? Maybe Martin could use some backup.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Hmmmm. Cooper says it wasn’t anything the isles did...

"We handed that one to them," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "It was gift wrapped. … We hand-delivered a couple [chances] to them and good teams will make you pay. That's what happened tonight."
I guess like the league handed them Game 1 and we handed them Game 2?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Shocked Barry played Ladd over him
Made no sense on a lot of levels
Kuhnhackel skates better, has won a cup also, plays d minded hockey. And what does playing Ladd a game do to the prospect of LTIRing him?

I THINK the idea of playing Ladd was if he got open his shot is a good bet for a goal. Isles need to use puck movement to beat Vasilevsky which is why we are seeing so many passes. Movement is key to beating him and winning the series.

Reactions: TMI and MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What is interesting to me, is the Isles are starting to tilt this series towards the hockey they want to play. TB is starting to play chippy, and seem more concerned with the extra curricular stuff than the Isles. The more hate in this series, the more it benefits the Isles. It's going to be more the same in game 4. I think the Kucherov slash, and then punches to Pageau when he was tied up are going to fuel more intensity. Martin-Goodrow fight was a signal sent, Trotz knew what he was doing there. I think it's going to be an epic game 4. It's a series folks. The Isles could actually be up 2-1, I thought they were the better team in game 2.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Tampa’s coming at us in waves. We’re chasing the game in our own end way too much. Varly is going to have to steal a win for us.
I'd say he did just that. If not a steal he certainly gave us a chance to hang around until we could get our offense going.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This Lightning team is the most unlikable group of douchebags in the tourney, dirty AF.
So were the Capitals. So were the Flyers.

Do you think the scouting report on us is to try and get under our skin? I think that's what's going on here.

We're on the smaller side and during the regular season it was easy to goad Barzal into retaliatory penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad