Post-Game Talk: #3 - Jackets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Haven't read the whole PGT, so sorry if this has been discussed. Anyone else think Glass played a really strong game? He was surprisingly good with the puck, got a cycle going in the offensive zone a couple times, and used his physicality to create a turnover or two. If he plays like that, I have no objection to him being in the lineup whenever we feel like we need "a little more jam" :laugh:.

Glass was fine last night, he did his job like he does on most nights. Amateur fans think they know more about hockey than AV.

Comical.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Glass was fine last night, he did his job like he does on most nights. Amateur fans think they know more about hockey than AV.

Comical.

How many times has a Glass horrendous mistake actually lead to a opposition goal? He gets a ton of flak for simply being on the ice when we get scored on.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Comical.

Glass was +2 in corsi last night and he's a 43% corsi player. So to say he did it like most nights is objectively false.

It would be like Hank giving up 5 goals and saying he played like he does most nights.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Comical.

Glass was fine last night! I agree.

Hopefully he doesn't play for another two weeks and he looks this good again. Look at how dynamite our 4th line looked in the first two games, now replace one of the players with the usual version of Tanner.

The offense has shown flashes of brilliance. No need to hamper the development of Fast for the veteran.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You're not allowed to fix other people's posts, but...

77efb035243e111423cdbc6cb1af4e67.jpg

I applaud this use of discretion

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Comical.

The insinuation that a fan can never know better than a coach about any aspect of anything in the sport (like a player in this case) is just silly. Coaches make mistakes. They just don't make many like the fans would.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The insinuation that a fan can never know better than a coach about any aspect of anything in the sport (like a player in this case) is just silly. Coaches make mistakes. They just don't make many like the fans would.

There are also a lot more bias with coaches that get to know players on a personal failure. This was a classic case of appeal to authority.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
The main difference is Winnipeg is bigger and more physical on the blueline.

Byfuglien 6-5 260
Myers 6-8 229
Pardy 6-4 227
Stuart (who is a hothead) 6-2 215
Trouba 6-3 202
Chiarot 6-3 219

all these D are physical D.

They also have Enstrom 5'10 180 and Postma 6'3 195

Even up front though Wheeler is 6'5 225, Ladd 6'3 200, Lowry 6-5 210 and all of them like to bang bodies. They also have two goons that they play a lot--Thorburn 6-3 225 and Peluso 6-3 235. Peluso is really really tough. Glass could negate Thorburn--I think he might get his ass whipped convincingly by Peluso if they were to go. Schiefele 6-3 207, Stafford 6-2 214 and Copp 6-1 206 are all big guys.

Winnipeg is a really big, nasty and gnarly team.

That's a big team for sure. It's hard to cycle against teams like WPG. Rangers should be able to take advantage with their speed game on the rush.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Does anyone here honestly think Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe know more about hockey than the average one of us?

A trained monkey could coach/manage the Oilers to what they've done.

There's plenty of absolute morons working professionally in hockey [not saying AV is one], you're naive to think otherwise.

For ****s sake Mike Milbury has been a coach and GM.

Last edited:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Watching the replay now:

As this offense starts gelling and developing chemistry they're gonna dominate opposing teams in the offensive zone.

Viktor Stalberg having a tremendous start to the season. EXCELLENT play to start the transition down the ice for Stepan's goal.

Also, as one of the passengers on the Trade Klein wagon, I'm gonna say he continues to look good. Noticeably better than Dan Boyle, and looks as good as Ryan McDonagh right now.

I think he should be moved up a pair with Boyle's disappearing act and the 1st pairs struggles.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
First off - I'm not posting this as a "our defense sucks" post. But the game last night illustrates how the defense has gotten a bit overrated here. There are just so many great chances given up night after night by bone headed plays, not being able to move the puck, etc. Last night Hank made a few unbelievable saves on some really good chances. Context (i.e. the score, and one team chasing the game) matters when looking at these particular scoring changes, but as a whole it just illustrates an ongoing theme - because this happens night after night (going back to last year - not 3 games).

The defense group is good, but the idea they can't be improved, or the "they finished 3rd in GAA - they're the 3rd best!" retort to any criticism is way off base. To be honest, it just makes me realize how good some other teams d-corps are (St Louis, Chicago, Minnie, Nashville) that they're on par in preventing scoring with goalies that aren't in the same world as Hank.

He's a generational talent. Watching the game in person last night and just seeing how many massive chances the D gave that he stood on his head to stop really drove it home. Just amazing how good he is, and how some of our Dmen are gonna retire with a damn big bank account thanks in part to him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer Stalberg to Hagelin.

He's bigger, he's smarter, better possession player, he's better along the boards in his own zone, and I don't think he's a downgrade on the PK.

Hagelin has produced more over their careers, but I believe Stalberg can equal his production, maybe even surpass it, playing with Lindberg and Miller. Stalberg has played almost exclusively with garbage linemates over his career.

That leaves Hagelin being faster. We still have the fastest wing corps in the league even without him, and Stalberg is ****ing fast anyway, so whatever.

BarbaraAlphanse

The D is definitely a problem. All of those opportunities... We've been spoiled by Hank.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The D is definitely a problem. All of those opportunities... We've been spoiled by Hank.

So has this front office.

I can't wait for the "oh ****" moment they're going to have when he retires. Because frankly until Hank retires this defense isn't getting any better. He makes it look good.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer Stalberg to Hagelin.

He's bigger, he's smarter, better possession player, he's better along the boards in his own zone, and I don't think he's a downgrade on the PK.

Hagelin has produced more over their careers, but I believe Stalberg can equal his production, maybe even surpass it, playing with Lindberg and Miller. Stalberg has played almost exclusively with garbage linemates over his career.

That leaves Hagelin being faster. We still have the fastest wing corps in the league even without him, and Stalberg is ****ing fast anyway, so whatever.

The biggest difference between them is Hags ability behind the net to change direction and roll off defenders, and creating offense off that. I think Stalberg will be better off the rush but won't be as good in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if he's better but what a signing he will be.

BarbaraAlphanse

So has this front office.

I can't wait for the "oh ****" moment they're going to have when he retires. Because frankly until Hank retires this defense isn't getting any better. He makes it look good.

Yandle is definitely helping. Klein looks like a whole different player with him on his pairing.

Skjei and Boyle need to make way to youth. I'm looking for those two moves.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The biggest difference between them is Hags ability behind the net to change direction and roll off defenders, and creating offense off that. I think Stalberg will be better off the rush but won't be as good in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if he's better but what a signing he will be.

Oh you're gonna love Stalberg in the zone once he gets some time there. Because of poorer than usual defensive play (our defense is suspect but we won't be a 30% CF team all year) and early leads, we haven't had the forecheck time yet. He'll be a beast there.

Yandle is definitely helping. Klein looks like a whole different player with him on his pairing.

Skjei and Boyle need to make way to youth. I'm looking for those two moves.

I agree but I worry that the Girardi and Staal contracts will hamper improvement. We likely lose Yandle IMO.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh you're gonna love Stalberg in the zone once he gets some time there. Because of poorer than usual defensive play (our defense is suspect but we won't be a 30% CF team all year) and early leads, we haven't had the forecheck time yet. He'll be a beast there.

I agree but I worry that the Girardi and Staal contracts will hamper improvement. We likely lose Yandle IMO.

I have a feeling 30% CF does not measure the effects of having an early lead.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Does anyone here honestly think Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe know more about hockey than the average one of us?

A trained monkey could coach/manage the Oilers to what they've done.

There's plenty of absolute morons working professionally in hockey [not saying AV is one], you're naive to think otherwise.

For ****s sake Mike Milbury has been a coach and GM.

They can sure as hell play the game better then us. So I'd say they do know more about the game. But they don't know how to run a team. That is more business stuff IMO.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think so. Staal and Girardi are Sather guys. Not that they aren't Gorton guys but I'm sure he probably has more emotional pull towards a guy he was an integral part to bringing over than them.

There's also the AV system factor. He needs players like Yandle.

And finally the Boston factor. Gorton went to school there. His hockey roots start there. His first NHL job. Bruins. Laugh all you want about how bogus this rationale may be. I went to school in Boston. I met Yandle. One of my classes required 12 hours a week of volunteering. My placement was at an unemployment learning facility. The manager was a former AHL player. His career fizzled out. He was from Southie. He was good friends with Yandle. I believe they both did some charity game at Southie for the kids who played hockey there (don't quote me on this, I vaguely remember a comment being made about a charity game where the two played together, but I'd have to reach back out to the manager to confirm). Yandle visited him and that's where I met him. These Boston guys are tightly knit. Gorton probably knew of Yandle before he made it in th NHL. He has probably wanted him longest of any of the FO.

No chance he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad