Post-Game Talk: #3 - Jackets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yandle had a real strong game too. Man his passing game is sharp and he can really connect with those long passes.

Was also impressed by Girardis pass that springed Hayes.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So we're obviously not yet in mid-season form, and yet we're 3-0 and +5 in goal differential. I'll take it gladly. Should be a fun team to watch as we continue to find our rhythm.

If we stay reasonably healthy this is going to be one exciting season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How Swede it is!

Hank
Lindberg
Stalberg

All 3 played really well, Hank especially. And Lindberg looks really good, he definitely looks like the 1st round talent he was touted as going into the draft. I hope he can keep things up.

Oh wow he was touted as a first rounder. What made him slip?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The Moore goal was a cool play. Stoll did good things.

first he corralled the puck after Columbus sent it out of their zone. Then he came to a quick stop by the boards and quickly sent the puck cross-ice to Yandle. This caught two CBJs out of position & made it easy for the Rangers to re-gain the zone,

Then Stoll got the puck back from Yandle, took it to the corner, and sent it to where Moore could chop it in.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Oh wow he was touted as a first rounder. What made him slip?

I don't think he slipped. I think he was one of those guys you see every year who is slotted in the late first, early second, and it's pretty much luck of the draw where they go.

Vickers8

:amazed:
And 328 goals!

Here's a GIF of the SOTY:

VmXmJoU.gif

Probably Hank's greatest save...I really think it was the best game he ever played

Vickers8

Like others have said, 3 stars:

1 Hank
2 Hank
3 Hank

HM - Lindberg, Stalberg (Stalberg's tenacity, speed and amazing backchecking ability,, have really impressed me)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well, unlike Tort's team, much of AV's teams' passivity comes from playing with the lead a lot. We're an immaculate shut-down team, our record with a lead after 2 periods over the last 7-8 years proves that much. Without the lead I think the Rangers typically dominate play and the raise the tempo of the game a ton.

An astute comment. The Rangers are a possession fanatic's nightmare defying all the laws of physics and statistics. In this respect I can only say that Lundqvist can be godlike even if all the scientific facts point to a godless universe.

Personally the important thing is to win--first to have enough points to make the playoffs---second to have more points than other teams for better or best positioning in the standings so as to have more playoff games in your own building in the playoffs which hopefully thirdly will lead your team to any season's version of nirvana/heaven a Stanley Cup Championship.

The Rangers are winning and I'd rather not gripe. There may be personnel changes that I would do differently but if what works continues to work I prefer to lay off AV---though I do have one plea---start playing McIlrath.

The possession metrics and the Corsi thing are all fine and dandy. AV doesn't seem to care and the Rangers keep on winning. What the hell? You know what else?--The Rangers are averaging 4 goals per game over the first three games and Rick Nash doesn't have a single point. That's another---what the hell? I guess we at least sometimes can throw logic out the window and start believing in the magical.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I should be shocked by the "OMG the defense sucks" crap but sadly I'm not. We took a 3-0 lead 6 minutes in. What do you people expect? A 7-0 win with 10 shots against? Of course the other team is gonna get chances after going down 3-0 that early. Hank was obviously fantastic, I honestly think he might have the best season of his career. Stallinberg is an awesome line. Yandle is GOAT. Team might be better than last year, which is insane to think about.

Some people definitely have tunnel vision when it comes to the defense. It was especially evident after Friday night's game - the defense played fine while the offense couldn't really get it going until the very end of the game, yet some fans focused on how bad the defense looked with little criticism directed towards the offense.

The defense has been uneven at times, and they have some kinks to work out for sure, but this is the best start the defense has had under AV. Through the first 3 games in both 2013-2014 and 2014-15, the team had already been blown out/given up 4+ goals in 2 out of their 3 games. AV's teams usually start out slow, and look a lot sloppier than this year's team have so far, so it's a good sign that they are already off to a 3-0 start.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Moore goal was a cool play. Stoll did good things.

first he corralled the puck after Columbus sent it out of their zone. Then he came to a quick stop by the boards and quickly sent the puck cross-ice to Yandle. This caught two CBJs out of position & made it easy for the Rangers to re-gain the zone,

Then Stoll got the puck back from Yandle, took it to the corner, and sent it to where Moore could chop it in.

Probably the best thing about the goal was Tanner Glass.

He was on all fours in a dog like prostration next to the far post while Stoll flipped the cross crease.

Tanner going on all fours could have also drawn a penalty.

BsMLGEB.jpg

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I love Yandle too. He fits in so well here and has been our best D man of the season so far. I love McDonagh and I like what Staal and Girardi can bring to this team, but Yandle is a breath of fresh air and fits the quick, puck moving style of the team so well.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Fast has been horrible to start the year. No problem sitting him for a game or a few.

It's not a bad thing to do with a young guy. Has worked for Kreider, Miller, Zuccarello, etc in the past.

You have a really strange way of grading players. Fast is horrible and Girardi, Staal etc are adequate. lol ok I guess it's cool keeping some of the stiffs in over McIrath as well.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
On the train back now from Section 221.

Very fun game. Only glaring negative for me is that I am starting to get very worried about Girardi. Like more than usual.

He got lax after the team had a lead, thought he was his old self in the 3rd of the last game when the game was tied; but they put Klein out there more.

He's not moving his feet and moving the puck at the same time. Lots of passes where he's at a standstill; and that's gotta get shored up. It's been leading to some turnovers.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Blue Jackets fan here:

You guys do realize that except for the last 3 minutes Friday and the first 5 yesterday we outscored you 4-3.:sarcasm: :laugh:

We need to find solace wherever possible. Thank goodness we don't have to face Henrik again until late Feb at which point we'll be on a 24-2-1 finish to miss the playoffs by a point and screw up the odds of winning the Auston Matthews sweeps.

You guys look tough and as my second favorite team I'll be rooting for you in the playoffs once we either miss or make a quick exit.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Blue Jackets fan here:

You guys do realize that except for the last 3 minutes Friday and the first 5 yesterday we outscored you 4-3.:sarcasm: :laugh:

We need to find solace wherever possible. Thank goodness we don't have to face Henrik again until late Feb at which point we'll be on a 24-2-1 finish to miss the playoffs by a point and screw up the odds of winning the Auston Matthews sweeps.

You guys look tough and as my second favorite team I'll be rooting for you in the playoffs once we either miss or make a quick exit.

6-0 in 8 minutes. I'll take that ;)

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Really strong game. Our first good game of the year.

What's somewhat slanting is I thought Hank played one of the top 10 games I've ever seen of him, and if he was even average this could have been a different outcome.

Still mad about the 3 "icing" calls in the first. What was scary was how little pushback the officials got on them.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Blue Jackets fan here:

I think you guys are 2 defenseman and a back up goalie away from being a real deal contender.

Trade Johnson; get a solid top 4 shutdown RHD; and get another veteran on the 3rd pair that's reliable and doesn't make mistakes and a back up goalie that can grab some points.

That's all that's left. You aren't winning when your top minute eaters on the back end make the kind of mistakes they do.

Wolfy*

Look for Fast on the trade block. He could fall victim to AV's desire to find room for Glass in the lineup.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Great post man. Yandle is awesome. And let me say that so many things need to go right for a PT

Yandle is a terrific dman that's fits this team really well. Definitely takes sting after giving up on duclair who will probably score 30-40 points this year in Arizona. Just hope we find a way to resign him somehow. Have a bad feeling he's gonna want 6.5 plus per year

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well, unlike Tort's team, much of AV's teams' passivity comes from playing with the lead a lot. We're an immaculate shut-down team, our record with a lead after 2 periods over the last 7-8 years proves that much. Without the lead I think the Rangers typically dominate play and the raise the tempo of the game a ton.

The Rangers are a below average possession team in every score situation EXCEPT leading, actually. Just saying.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You have a really strange way of grading players. Fast is horrible and Girardi, Staal etc are adequate. lol ok I guess it's cool keeping some of the stiffs in over McIrath as well.

It's not that odd. Fast hasn't looked like he has a clue when the pucks been on his stick. Glass obviously doesn't either, but he brings other things that the coach likes.

Meanwhile, Staal and Girardi have been alright. A lot of what looks bad to people is absolutely the result of what they're being asked to do rather than what they're actually doing. That being said, last night very few of our D looked any good. But you know what? That's what happens in a blowout situation. To draw conclusions from it about our D is unfair to them.

Those guys have looked adequate in the previous 2 games. Still want more from them. Like any other October criticisms, the most important word for any fan is patience. I wouldn't have had any problem with Fast staying in the lineup while he finds his game, because I have patience. But the justification for benching him was absolutely there. Young players dot get the benefit of the doubt that veterans do.

Dan Boyle is the only player that might deserve to sit for McIlrath. But again, patience is required.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Look for Fast on the trade block. He could fall victim to AV's desire to find room for Glass in the lineup.

lol no.

I don't really disagree with AV's assessment of Fast through the pre season and 2 regular season games, nor do I have an issue with him sitting Fast for a game. I do have a problem with him inserting Glass into the lineup over Etem though.

AV loves Fast, if anyone comes out long term just so he can keep playing with his favorite toy it wont be Fast.

We'll see if hes consistent though. If Boyle comes out for Dylan on Tuesday, maybe hes really turned over a new leaf.

Raspewtin said:
The Rangers are a below average possession team in every score situation EXCEPT leading, actually. Just saying.

Last season.

We have no idea what the **** this years edition is yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad