Post-Game Talk: #3 - Jackets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
lol no.

I don't really disagree with AV's assessment of Fast through the pre season and 2 regular season games, nor do I have an issue with him sitting Fast for a game. I do have a problem with him inserting Glass into the lineup over Etem though.

AV loves Fast, if anyone comes out long term just so he can keep playing with his favorite toy it wont be Fast.

We'll see if hes consistent though. If Boyle comes out for Dylan on Tuesday, maybe hes really turned over a new leaf.

This pretty much.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Have to agree with AV about Fast, he has been completely underwhelming so far.

Knowing that the second line RW slot was open, Fast should have come into camp ready to compete for the spot. Instead, he was invisible throughout camp and didn't make an impact.

While Stoll and Moore have exhibited some nice chemistry, Fast was a bit of a passenger on that line. Not sure if it's a sophomore slump, complacency, or just early season rust, but he needs to pick up his game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Have to agree with AV about Fast, he has been completely underwhelming so far.

Knowing that the second line RW slot was open, Fast should have come into camp ready to compete for the spot. Instead, he was invisible throughout camp and didn't make an impact.

While Stoll and Moore have exhibited some nice chemistry, Fast was a bit of a passenger on that line. Not sure if it's a sophomore slump, complacency, or just early season rust, but he needs to pick up his game.

I defintely think he will; just didn't see enough of that hustle he brought to the team last year. He'll need to start firing shots and getting pucks in deep.

Having him on the 4th line is a good thing for the team's depth. Especially since he's playing with two wily vets that are constantly creating a forecheck.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The thing is, at least I can't fault AV for playing Glass in this game. It didn't happend, but if you have been around for a while you know what can happend if say a Kreider "collides" with a Ryan Johansen with the latter being carried off on a stretcher, or whatever, in a game like this.

Glass was alright, like he usually is, while providing a physical ability we do not otherwise have.

Glass' physicality was the same as it usually it--late out-of-position hitting, no puck handling skills, and minimal offensive production...

Again, if AV is going to play him once every 3-4 games, then I can justify having him in the lineup...

I defintely think he will; just didn't see enough of that hustle he brought to the team last year. He'll need to start firing shots and getting pucks in deep.

Having him on the 4th line is a good thing for the team's depth. Especially since he's playing with two wily vets that are constantly creating a forecheck.

Stoll and Moore have great chemistry. That line has such tenacious forchecking abilities

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Look for Fast on the trade block. He could fall victim to AV's desire to find room for Glass in the lineup.
"Look for McIlrath to get waived to keep Diaz"

"Look for Moore to be traded to keep Glass"

For the love of God stop telling us to look for things

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I can understand AV wanting to put more gumption in last night's game but my first step would have been McIlrath in for Boyle---then maybe or maybe not Glass--probably would have been not. I don't really buy his critique of Fast.

But we won anyway.

Winnipeg's up next and if anything they're even bigger and more physical than Columbus is. So.......?

To go back to the final roster decisions. I think that AV would rather have had Diaz than McIlrath but because of Dylan's youth and all the work the organization has done with him and his waiver status he backed off--which would explain to me why Dylan hasn't played yet. AV doesn't trust what he doesn't know. Having conceded on Diaz though AV dug in his heels on Tanner Glass and that's why Tanner's still here and now there's a narrative of why Glass was in the lineup last night.

I expect Tanner will be in the lineup again on tuesday against a very large and rugged Jets team---whether McIlrath is in the lineup remains to be seen but to me it would be a smart move if he was.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think Columbus are definitely nastier/bigger than Winnipeg. I don't see anything changing.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Huh? He was arguing against Glass not for. Pretty sure Glass is the worst forward on the team, no? Arguably the worst forward in the league.

Just about every time he touches the puck in the O zone, the puck is going the other way after he gets it. You can bank on that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I can understand AV wanting to put more gumption in last night's game but my first step would have been McIlrath in for Boyle---then maybe or maybe not Glass--probably would have been not. I don't really buy his critique of Fast.

But we won anyway.

Winnipeg's up next and if anything they're even bigger and more physical than Columbus is. So.......?

To go back to the final roster decisions. I think that AV would rather have had Diaz than McIlrath but because of Dylan's youth and all the work the organization has done with him and his waiver status he backed off--which would explain to me why Dylan hasn't played yet. AV doesn't trust what he doesn't know. Having conceded on Diaz though AV dug in his heels on Tanner Glass and that's why Tanner's still here and now there's a narrative of why Glass was in the lineup last night.

I expect Tanner will be in the lineup again on tuesday against a very large and rugged Jets team---whether McIlrath is in the lineup remains to be seen but to me it would be a smart move if he was.

The season is 82-game long so McIlrath chould get his chance against Carolina, Buffalo etc before he earns to play against NHL's top echelon. No problem with Fast sitting this one - clearly a lesson from AV to a youngster.

Overall a good start to the season - can clearly see improvement from the first game to second and then to yesterday. Why there was no "A" on Girardi's jersey?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

But we won anyway.

I think he should just go with 7 D right now, considering how AV has been balancing ice time. I don't think one forward has broken the 18 minute mark this season. Stepan led the forwards with 17:21 last night. Brassard only played 15:05, Nash only had 16:49. AV can pick almost any forward on the top two lines and double shift them and they still wouldn't come close to being fatigued. The forward depth is so strong right now that this team is in a perfect position to roll with 7 D.

Lindberg at 14:00, J.T. Miller at 11:19 (!), Hayes at 11:54, Kreider at 12:52. All these guys are begging for more ice time. It's absurd that Tanner Glass had more ice time than Miller and Hayes. The distribution isn't just a score effect from last night either, it's been similar in every game we've played so far.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's especially strange considering how AV has been balancing ice time. I don't think one forward has broken the 18 minute mark this season. Stepan led the forwards with 17:21 last night. Brassard only played 15:05, Nash only had 16:49. AV can pick almost any forward on the top two lines and double shift them and they still wouldn't come close to being fatigued. The forward depth is so strong right now that this team is in a perfect position to roll with 7 D.

3 games in four nights. Keeping everyone well rested.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

But we won anyway.

It's not really a good comparison, re: Glass vs Fast/Boyle vs McIlrath. Veterans tend to get the benefit of the doubt and rightfully so. You can't assume that Boyle is going to keep playing like this, since he has the track record to fall back on. Fast, on the other hand, is a 2nd year player who still seems to have some of the consistency issues that young players are apt to have. On the other side of it, you can be reasonably sure what you're going to get from Glass (leaving the desirability of what you're getting out of the equation) whereas there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding McIlrath.

AV isn't alone in trusting vets. Basically any coach in the league thinks the same way. We know we're going to see Fast back in the lineup and I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later. McIlrath was always going to have to wait for an injury.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
3 games in four nights. Keeping everyone well rested.

I think it has more to do with the way the roster is structured and the way players are producing right now. Chicago had the same schedule and had 4 forwards last night had more than 17 minutes. I can guarantee you we'll see the same type of distribution for a while. One of the first things I noticed after the switch from Torts to AV was how he managed the forwards' ice time much better than Torts. I don't disagree with what he's doing but the freedom you get with having this deep a forward lineup should not result in Tanner Glass getting more ice time than Kevin Hayes and JT Miller.

This team's "3rd line" is just as productive as it's first and second lines right now. There's no need for Tanner Glass in this lineup and really, you could easily cut anyone who is slotted in at wing on the 4th line and slide literally any other player in there for those minutes. Miller should not be playing less than 12 minutes in a game right now.

Drop one forward and put McIlrath in.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think Columbus are definitely nastier/bigger than Winnipeg. I don't see anything changing.

The main difference is Winnipeg is bigger and more physical on the blueline.

Byfuglien 6-5 260
Myers 6-8 229
Pardy 6-4 227
Stuart (who is a hothead) 6-2 215
Trouba 6-3 202
Chiarot 6-3 219

all these D are physical D.

They also have Enstrom 5'10 180 and Postma 6'3 195

Even up front though Wheeler is 6'5 225, Ladd 6'3 200, Lowry 6-5 210 and all of them like to bang bodies. They also have two goons that they play a lot--Thorburn 6-3 225 and Peluso 6-3 235. Peluso is really really tough. Glass could negate Thorburn--I think he might get his ass whipped convincingly by Peluso if they were to go. Schiefele 6-3 207, Stafford 6-2 214 and Copp 6-1 206 are all big guys.

Winnipeg is a really big, nasty and gnarly team.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
What a pass he made to Moore on the third goal. Beautiful! I love having Stoll on this team. I hope this works out and he stays clean.

Eh, it was more Moore more than anything(what a sentence). That was an almost impossible pass to catch and do what Moore did.

Just about every time he touches the puck in the O zone, the puck is going the other way after he gets it. You can bank on that.

Agreed.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think it has more to do with the way the roster is structured and the way players are producing right now. Chicago had the same schedule and had 4 forwards last night had more than 17 minutes. I can guarantee you we'll see the same type of distribution for a while.

AV said he kept the minutes down the last two games because he was conscious of the schedule and wanted to make sure his team had legs come yesterday.

Also, why play 61-16-36 more minutes when they've been terrible. Let them work out of this, then up their minutes. Same with 20-21-13. Best lines have bee 3-4.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

Byfuglien 6-5 260
Myers 6-8 229
Pardy 6-4 227
Trouba 6-3 202
Chiarot 6-3 219

Even up front though Wheeler is 6'5 225, Ladd 6'3 200, Lowry 6-5 210 and all of them like to bang bodies. They also have two goons that they play a lot--Thorburn 6-3 225 and Peluso 6-3 235. Peluso is really really tough. Glass could negate Thorburn--I think he might get his ass whipped convincingly by Peluso if they were to go. Schiefele 6-3 207, Stafford 6-2 214 and Copp 6-1 206 are all big guys.

I want Blake Wheeler on the Rangers so bad! I think we would absolutely dominate the league.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

Byfuglien 6-5 260
Myers 6-8 229
Pardy 6-4 227
Trouba 6-3 202
Chiarot 6-3 219

...and Tyler Myers is a string bean. Though he does have terrific skill.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Byfuglien 6-5 260
Myers 6-8 229
Pardy 6-4 227
Trouba 6-3 202
Chiarot 6-3 219

They're very undisciplined and take a lot of penalties. Trouba's the nastiest out of all of them, very old school player. I'd start McIlrath that game, it's versus his hometown team.

I want Blake Wheeler on the Rangers so bad! I think we would absolutely dominate the league.

I think he's the ideal winger to go opposite Nash. Those two would just tear it up together. Big boys, high skill level, lefty righty mix with a ton of size, speed, skill and power... definitely the type of player I'd move Staal and/or Girardi for.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
They're very undisciplined and take a lot of penalties. Trouba's the nastiest out of all of them, very old school player. I'd start McIlrath that game, it's versus his hometown team.

I think he's the ideal winger to go opposite Nash. Those two would just tear it up together. Big boys, high skill level, lefty righty mix with a ton of size, speed, skill and power... definitely the type of player I'd move Staal and/or Girardi for.
Absolutely! Get'er done, Gorton!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Haven't read the whole PGT, so sorry if this has been discussed. Anyone else think Glass played a really strong game? He was surprisingly good with the puck, got a cycle going in the offensive zone a couple times, and used his physicality to create a turnover or two. If he plays like that, I have no objection to him being in the lineup whenever we feel like we need "a little more jam" :laugh:.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Haven't read the whole PGT, so sorry if this has been discussed. Anyone else think Glass played a really strong game? He was surprisingly good with the puck, got a cycle going in the offensive zone a couple times, and used his physicality to create a turnover or two. If he plays like that, I have no objection to him being in the lineup whenever we feel like we need "a little more jam" :laugh:.

Glass was very good last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad