Post-Game Talk: #3 - Jackets @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I agree with MH unless the cap goes up to 75M which was speculated on a week or so ago. Otherwise realistically I can't see us resigning Keith.

BarbaraAlphanse

Wait now its supposed to go up? I thought it was going down.

Not yet. They're gonna pump their economy up with borrowed cash to try and stimulate growth. If that doesn't work... That's when a decrease would happen. Several years away, at closest.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
They can sure as hell play the game better then us. So I'd say they do know more about the game. But they don't know how to run a team. That is more business stuff IMO.

This makes no sense. Just because someone is a better athlete then someone else doesn't mean they know the game better.

Does Legarette Blount know the game better then Belichick?

Just ridiculous.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
This makes no sense. Just because someone is a better athlete then someone else doesn't mean they know the game better.

Does Legarette Blount know the game better then Belichick?

Just ridiculous.

Your all over the place with this post. These guys have won cups and played in the NHL learning systems Etc. So yes they know more then the average Joe since this is their job.

I never said they knew more then other members of the NHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer Stalberg to Hagelin.

He's bigger, he's smarter, better possession player, he's better along the boards in his own zone, and I don't think he's a downgrade on the PK.

Hagelin has produced more over their careers, but I believe Stalberg can equal his production, maybe even surpass it, playing with Lindberg and Miller. Stalberg has played almost exclusively with garbage linemates over his career.

That leaves Hagelin being faster. We still have the fastest wing corps in the league even without him, and Stalberg is ****ing fast anyway, so whatever.

Despite Hagelin having a slightly better production, I prefer Stalberg as well. I feel he is just a better fit. More diversity in his style of play.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Unless there is a complete financial meltdown, I don't see the salary cap going down. How will teams ever be able to handle that?

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Despite Hagelin having a slightly better production, I prefer Stalberg as well. I feel he is just a better fit. More diversity in his style of play.

And really, no matter where you stand on Hagelin vs. Stalberg, we can all agree that it's a close comparison, which means that having Stalberg in that role was a brilliant move, given the cap difference between him and what Hagelin wanted.

"In today's NHL", it's all about finding value replacements for your expensive mid-level talents in order to retain your high-end players. If Gorton does find a way to re-sign Yandle, that Hagelin trade will look genius.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Unless there is a complete financial meltdown, I don't see the salary cap going down. How will teams ever be able to handle that?

Size and he's not a perimeter player. Stalberg will drive the net. Hagelin only did that on breakaways and empty nets.

Still, Hags was and is a hell of a player. I just hope that Gropp is a real player, cause I don't like the thought of losing Hagelin for an Artsy healthy scratch.

Something about the guy just reminded me of Lisa Bonet during the player intro.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

He's bigger, he's smarter, better possession player, he's better along the boards in his own zone, and I don't think he's a downgrade on the PK.

Hagelin has produced more over their careers, but I believe Stalberg can equal his production, maybe even surpass it, playing with Lindberg and Miller. Stalberg has played almost exclusively with garbage linemates over his career.

That leaves Hagelin being faster. We still have the fastest wing corps in the league even without him, and Stalberg is ****ing fast anyway, so whatever.

You are definitely correct.

You are in the minority.

:popcorn:

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Your all over the place with this post. These guys have won cups and played in the NHL learning systems Etc. So yes they know more then the average Joe since this is their job.

I never said they knew more then other members of the NHL.

This. I can appreciate fans having an opinion (we all do), getting upset, and occasionally being right (often by ****ing accident), but when you can't acknowledge that coaches, even the "bad ones", who have normally coached at every level, implemented systems of play for elite athletes, and have a depth of experience in managing personalities and maximizing output from players, are more knowledgable than you, then you need to check your ego. It is easy to see when they are failing in their role, and fair enough to suggest that it's time for a change when this happens, but to suggest that you actually know more than a coach or GM who (in most cases) have spent years working their way to that position, is so ridiculous that it's a bad caricature of internet forum arrogance.

So you read some player usage charts, a scatter-dot of CF%, and you follow Rob Vollman on Twitter. Awesome. I do that stuff too, you're probably a really knowledgable fan. There are people out there who are on Web MD all day too and read peer-reviewed studies in medical journals. They know a ******** more than the average person. Still doesn't equate to six years of Med School and every day professional experience.

Without ever having that experience yourself, you are blind in one eye to many of the factors that go in to their decision making. Unless you see every practice, watch every video breakdown, have access to the exact same internal team data and are privy to all the conversations the coaches and GMs are, you can only ever evaluate them with the "best available public information", which frankly isn't much.

If you stepped into their world, you would 100% get your ass humbled right quick, just as you would any other profession that you have zero to minimal experience in, and have only evaluated as a spectator.

You are not more knowledgable than the coach. You have a better mind for the game than most fans, hopefully you played organized hockey at some level (otherwise PLEASE temper your idea about how much you think you know), and occasionally you are right and the coach is wrong. But I think as fans, even super knowledgable ones like the fans here, need to operate under the caveat that there is a lot to the game that we're just not able to see at a certain level, and a wealth of information, data and performance wise, that we are not and probably never will be privy to.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Does anyone here honestly think Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe know more about hockey than the average one of us?

A trained monkey could coach/manage the Oilers to what they've done.

There's plenty of absolute morons working professionally in hockey [not saying AV is one], you're naive to think otherwise.

For ****s sake Mike Milbury has been a coach and GM.

Hahahaha! That's one of the most entertaining post I've read in a long time. Thank you!

Machinehead, You're a special breed :laugh:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Not seen Stalberg enough to say either for or against on that, but what he has shown this far looks very good indeed. If he manages to keep this play up, he will be very valuable to the team.

No chance he leaves.
How are we going to manage to re-sign him without trading away at least one piece ? I dont know what Yandle will be asking, but i imagine its going to be... a lot.

Staal and Girardi both have NMC's (if i recall). Nash ? (he has an NTC i think ?). Brass ? Zuke ? Step ?

Boyle will be coming off the books next year, and hopefully MciIrath is a viable permanent replacement, that'll save a few mill. But that alone probably wont do it (well, i'd think at least).

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Not seen Stalberg enough to say either for or against on that, but what he has shown this far looks very good indeed. If he manages to keep this play up, he will be very valuable to the team.

How are we going to manage to re-sign him without trading away at least one piece ? I dont know what Yandle will be asking, but i imagine its going to be... a lot.

Staal and Girardi both have NMC's (if i recall). Nash ? (he has an NTC i think ?). Brass ? Zuke ? Step ?

Boyle will be coming off the books next year, and hopefully MciIrath is a viable permanent replacement, that'll save a few mill. But that alone probably wont do it (well, i'd think at least).

Nash has a NTC clause in which he has to report to management 12 teams he would accept a trade to.

http://fulltiltnyr.com/rick-nash-no-trade-july-and-talbot-updates/

It would require him to waive that clause to make that trade regardless.

If absolutely needed cap relief and couldn't move the defensemen, we could simply trade away Nash and take the assets and stock up the farm, use his money to resign kreidr Hayes and whoever else. Get buch over here and we're good until the deadline.

I should note I wouldn't trade nash till next offseason

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I love Yandle and hope the Rangers start working on an extension with him ASAP. I hate the beat writers constantly writing that Yandle is as good as gone because there's no room for him on the D corps. The guy is a bonafide top 10 scoring D in this league, his breakout passes as so crisp, he's fantastic as the stretch pass and he is really good at making a breakout pass when it seems there is none to be made. He's a really good defenseman.

I also think he might be the most chippy D man on the team. I swear every shift he's slashing someone's hands and he's playing gritty. His "soft" label is not deserved at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino