GDT: 3 Dec 2014 - Canadiens @ Wild - 6PM CST / 2AM Suomi - FS-N & KFAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
It's time that Yeo( and if he won't do it, then Fletcher) holds everyone involved with the PP accountable. If Pominville isn't producing, he loses his spot. Vanek, the same. Same with Koivu and/or Granlund. Bruno has to be either let go, or given a new responsibility within the team. Drastic times, drastic measures. We won't make the playoffs with a PP like this.

It blows my mind that the leading goal scorers on the team (Nino, Zucker)barely get a sniff on our PP.

This is truly counter intuitive.

Yet Yeo must have his good reasons ... he want to win as much as we want them to win. Probably more actualy.;-)

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I was at the game. I had no problem with the booing. The booing was solely directed at their effort and effectiveness on the PP, not the game as a whole. People are rightfully fed up and there is no reason why we can be so good 5v5, but so pathetically ineffective when we have the man advantage. It is what is holding us back from becoming a real contender. It's not like we are just in slump, this has been a season long issue, there are zero signs it will be improving, and it is not acceptable.

On another note, with about 5 minutes left in the game, a group of about 10 kids were chanting "Kuemper Shutout...Kuemper Shutout". Four minutes later, guess what happens...

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
On another note, with about 5 minutes left in the game, a group of about 10 kids were chanting "Kuemper Shutout...Kuemper Shutout". Four minutes later, guess what happens...
I'm sure those kids REALLY angered the hockey Gods! :laugh:

We should definitely find those kids and blame them for Montreal scoring that goal, nevermind our defensive effort on that play!!

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I'm sure those kids REALLY angered the hockey Gods! :laugh:

We should definitely find those kids and blame them for Montreal scoring that goal, nevermind our defensive effort on that play!!

I'm not superstitious so I'm not blaming them. I'm just wondering why would anyone even consider chanting something like that. I mean seriously who does that at that point in the game? Chant it when the game is over when he actually has a shutout.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yet Yeo must have his good reasons ... he want to win as much as we want them to win. Probably more actualy.;-)

Like he is too rigid in his thinking? What possible reason could there be to NOT play your best goal scorers on the PP, especially when the regulars are absolutely stinking it up?

What is " truly counter intuitive" about demanding accountability of your players, and rewarding more ice time, not less, to players who are playing well?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I was at the game. I had no problem with the booing. The booing was solely directed at their effort and effectiveness on the PP, not the game as a whole. People are rightfully fed up and there is no reason why we can be so good 5v5, but so pathetically ineffective when we have the man advantage. It is what is holding us back from becoming a real contender. It's not like we are just in slump, this has been a season long issue, there are zero signs it will be improving, and it is not acceptable.

The booing sure was effective. It really helped them.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
I didn't mind the booing either. I was at home and was pretty much doing at my TV. It was pathetically bad. It wasn't even that they got no shots on it. It looked horrible.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Booing your own players seems self-indulgent and counterproductive. Maybe a little here and there is fine, but if it becomes a norm, fans as a whole start looking trashy.

I live in NYC and New Yorker fans are terrible. They turn on their teams in an instant, and they complain all day long how bad their teams are. It's just a bad fan culture.

[Heck, I was at that Wild-Rangers 3 period meltdown at MSG, and I found myself telling the Rangers fans that they were in ok shape and that there was a lot of game left to play because they were acting like children].

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Hate these quotes:

“It was tough. It wasn’t easy,” Pominville said. “Obviously we have to be better. It’s on us. At the same time, five minutes came off the clock. … But won a game. That’s all the counts.”

Great Pommer, 10 minutes came off of the clock in NY too. Look how wonderful that turned out.

I mean, you want us to score four power-play goals and lose?” Parise said. “We won the game. We beat arguably the best team in the Eastern Conference, and that’s the most important thing.”

No, we want you to be somewhat competent at a very important aspect of your job. We wanted you to put the game away, so we (and you) didn't have to sweat out the final 2 minutes and almost blow another lead.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Kinda chump of them to turn it around like that. Fine and dandy if that's how you feel in reality.. but nothing good comes out of (somewhat) calling out or pointing fingers at the fans. Don't like getting booed? Do something to change it.

Like I said before, I am not a boo guy.. But I am really glad that our fans aren't gonna take the futility any longer. Between the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves and Wild of past years, the majority of fans have had the "just happy to be here" attitude.

On top of knowing what this Wild team can potentially accomplish, this state is hungry for a championship. If you're playing like dog **** then it seems you're going to hear about it. No, we're not on the level of New York, but I am pretty happy that the old generation of quiet fans who tolerate ineptitude is slowly fading away. At least for this team.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
The main PP issue is that its getting worse (if possible) not better...On the 1st PP, the #1 PP looked OK and #2 had one good chance (in limited time). The rest of the game, it was pathetic. The structure of the PP has to change, not just personnel. Bad zone entry, too much cautious/deliberate puck handling and not enough creative instinct being used by elite-level players...The lack of shooting can only be that its so far in their heads now, no one wants to take charge...

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
So the fans can boo and express their feelings in public about the team but the players can't do the same back? BS.
Both are likely counter-productive but I find it hypocritical to be ok with fans booing to vent their frustration but not ok with the players responding to it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I got burned too many times paying to watch them go through the motions and play like garbage to do it again. Damn right I would boo if they were playing like crap.

And yeah, if they scored four goals and lost, they would probably get booed because of terrible defense/goaltending.

Honest to god, I don't know why we have to worry about the players feelings getting hurt. We can cheer for our team but can't boo our team...can we boo the other team? Or never boo? Should we just be quiet in general and never make a noise to not offend anyone?

Fans aren't booing because of one bad power play. They are booing years and years of inept power plays building up to a head. Every single person watching the game knew the 5 minute PP was going to be terrible. Every single one of them. You knew it was bad, anticipated it, here it comes, it's even worse than you imagined. Damn right I would boo.

I sure hope Parise doesn't find out I was complaining about the PP on the internet and during the game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
sure the players , coach & mgmt can rip the fans if they want to. minnesota fans know good hockey when they see it & after 20 plus games of horrible PP its crystal clear theres a problem. ps we've seen a bad PP several times in the recent past as well.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
You'd think that but it actually doesn't. 1st Amendment deals with oppression from the government about speech, the Wild do not qualify as a government entity. If they wanted to ban booing, they could. They'd never do it, but they could.
Like I said, I get it, and I get people are frustrated, but I agree with Parise. They won, they're more frustrated than any fan could EVER be about it, so seriously you look stupid booing it.

They could ban it. And it could ever get upheld in court, which is where it would go after getting banned.

Paying fans have a right to voice their displeasure after over a quarter of a season of the same crap. The same crap they have dealt with for a few years now. The same crap that has been directly responsible for getting their butts knocked out of the post season. The same crap that keeps them from elevating their game to the next level and being an elite team.

This is not an isolated incident and should not be treated as such.

I would not boo. It is not my way. But those people that pay a lot of money have the right to. And they are not lesser fans because they choose to do so.

No more excuses. Our PP sucks and needs to be fixed. And we barely beat that team, despite playing almost two good periods. The third was pretty bad for the most part and that last goal was embarrassing. It only happened because we were playing sloppy.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
So the fans can boo and express their feelings in public about the team but the players can't do the same back? BS.

Both are likely counter-productive but I find it hypocritical to be ok with fans booing to vent their frustration but not ok with the players responding to it.

A lot of people don't want their own stuff back at them, remember most think sports exist in a vacuum. This would be my response to people AT the game, not those watching on TV. Booing in public and being part of it, and screaming at your TV isn't necessarily the same thing.

I was at the game, and while I don't boo my own team, people pay their money, they can do whatever but I'm with you on don't be surprised if you get some stuff back.

I actually like to see the players responding to it, because it means they noticed it, how it's a problem, and how they are REACTING to it, which hopefully leads into a positive instead of a negative.

We all knew that PP was going to be horrid, the team felt like they were sitting back all period and hardly did anything, so why would that change even up a man when they've struggled there all season?

In the end a W is a W for me. As long as they get that I don't particularly care, and against a high flying team like the Habs it was a solid one to get.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I like that the players were offended too. I like that they stuck together as a team and defended themselves.

Sometimes it takes people getting pissed off sometimes to change things. The status quo certainly has done nothing.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I like that the players were offended too. I like that they stuck together as a team and defended themselves.

Sometimes it takes people getting pissed off sometimes to change things. The status quo certainly has done nothing.

Agreed.

I mean in many ways, this is the most vocal the fan base has been since I moved back (now in my third season) in just general play, whether, it's chants, heckles, anthem singing or even booing.

There are EXPECTATIONS now.

When you don't meet them consequences are dealt out, just like in life. Rise to adversity or surrender to it and be buried those are the options.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Agreed.

I mean in many ways, this is the most vocal the fan base has been since I moved back (now in my third season) in just general play, whether, it's chants, heckles, anthem singing or even booing.

There are EXPECTATIONS now.

When you don't meet them consequences are dealt out, just like in life. Rise to adversity or surrender to it and be buried those are the options.

I like your style;)

Completely agree.

Let's see what our guys will do being a little angry now.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
Watching the replay of the Wild game on FSN, due to time constraints, they skipped over the 5 min PP.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
I thought the Booing was a complete joke. I totally get why people are frustrated and pissed about the PP but booing while your up 2-0 in the 3rd is ridiculous and I don't care how bad the PP is. i don't understand how you can be pissed at the comments from the players if you boo the team when leading 2-0. Kudos to the players for their comments.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I got burned too many times paying to watch them go through the motions and play like garbage to do it again. Damn right I would boo if they were playing like crap.

And yeah, if they scored four goals and lost, they would probably get booed because of terrible defense/goaltending.

Honest to god, I don't know why we have to worry about the players feelings getting hurt. We can cheer for our team but can't boo our team...can we boo the other team? Or never boo? Should we just be quiet in general and never make a noise to not offend anyone?

Fans aren't booing because of one bad power play. They are booing years and years of inept power plays building up to a head. Every single person watching the game knew the 5 minute PP was going to be terrible. Every single one of them. You knew it was bad, anticipated it, here it comes, it's even worse than you imagined. Damn right I would boo.

I sure hope Parise doesn't find out I was complaining about the PP on the internet and during the game.

I co-sign everything you said.

ETA: I also remember Parise when he was with the Devils getting ticked off when Devils fans booed. I think this is just something he dislikes. I also feel sorry for the guy given the situation with his dad. He can't possibly have it easy right now. In other words, I still love him but I disagree with his take on the booing. lol

Last edited:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
From Russo's last blog

Parise said of the booing, “It doesn’t help. They’re frustrated, and I understand that. And they have a right to be frustrated. We’re frustrated, and then when we get booed, we get more frustrated, and then it snowballs. But sometimes we feel like booing ourselves, too, it’s that bad, so I can’t disagree with them.”

In depth on the power play, Parise said, “We’re frustrated, too. We probably deserved to get booed. It’s been a sore spot for us and we need to work on it. It’s the only way you get out of it. It’s not just going to change.”

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

His good reason is that his initial decision is never wrong and can never be changed. Since the start of the awful power play, he and players have been saying that they're doing everything right and once one or two goals go in it will prove it. Well, one or two goals will go in eventually, even on the worst power play in history, meaning nothing will possibly cause you to think your system is wrong.

Yeo's not wrong. Ever. That's why Coyle everything. That's why last year's terrible power play was solved by putting its architect closer to the action. The only solution to any problem is WE'RE ALREADY DOING IT RIGHT, SO LET'S DO IT HARDER. Fortunately one of the few steps left along that path is to grind Andrew Brunette up and have the power players snort his powdery form so that he can coach them from within, and that will have the unintended effect of removing him from the equation and improving the power play, which will of course still only prove Yeo was right.

Anyways, that crap deserves booing. It has lost several games and almost lost another. I don't really want to ever boo my own team but collectively shouting BOOOO is probably a little easier to organize than a chant of "Hey guys, if it's not too much of an imposition, could you please wake up out there before you blow another game you spent over 40 minutes completely dominating? Thanks, both from me and the other drivers I will encounter on my rage-quest home!" And, it's a hell of a lot nicer than what my TV hears me telling them.

If they're not going to actually try to fix the power play, it would be nice if FSN put up a "Special Teams Difficulty" screen for those two/five minutes with some jazzy music and a picture of one of those Wild foam #1 fingers with a different finger raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad