Post-Game Talk: #3 | Canucks at Flyers | October 17, 2023

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Make fun all you want, the 2nd period was the most dominant Flyer performance in a decade.
Out shot Vancouver 22-1.
Only reason game was close was Demko put on a goal tending clinic.

Now Vancouver was coming East to play a 6PM game so they were a bit "off." And after beating Edmonton twice, they probably took the Flyers too lightly.
But they got stomped the first two periods before they woke up and tried to make a game of it.

Couts looks like the same player as before the back, great move on the penalty shot goal, but more importantly, making all the little plays that are his trademark, Which is how he has a xGF 75.53% after 3 games.

Brink looked much better in this game, showing his nifty moves, vision, a quick shot, ability to play in traffic. Looking like a player who's making a push for a top six job. Had a great end to end rush which flashed much better skating than I expected from him.

All Cates does is make plays that save goals, both at 5x5 and on the PK. His defensive performance last season was no fluke.

Atkinson is shaking off the rust, and looks better with Couts, the two old men seem to have chemistry.

Staal - Walker works, Staal ain't pretty to watch but they get the job done. He''s ahead of Seeler, who looks uncomfortable at RHD.

Zamula showed a nice shot, not just the goal but a couple other times, but needs a better partner, maybe Walker when Risto returns, or paired with Sanheim and Risto with York. That will be a work in progress.

Knock Deslauriers all you want, but he's off to a great start this season, looks faster but just as mean - if he could only finish - but that's one reason why he's a 4th liner. Hathaway on the other hand had an off night.

All top nine forwards played better than Frost had in the first two games - he got benched on merit.
They need his skill, but he has to get his head out of his ass.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How does TK finish the game with only 13 min of ice time? Weird.
2 minutes for roughing, 10 minute misconduct.
Got pissed off at a Canuck weakly shooting the puck at Hart after the whistle, a bit of an overreaction.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Make fun all you want, the 2nd period was the most dominant Flyer performance in a decade.
Out shot Vancouver 22-1.

Now Vancouver was coming East to play a 6PM game so they were a bit "off." And after beating Edmonton twice, they probably took the Flyers too lightly.
But they got stomped the first two periods before they woke up and tried to make a game of it.

Couts looks like the same player as before the back, great move on the penalty shot goal, but more importantly, making all the little plays that are his trademark, Which is how he has a xGF 75.53% after 3 games.

Brink looked much better in this game, showing his nifty moves, vision, a quick shot, ability to play in traffic. Looking like a player who's making a push for a top six job. Had a great end to end rush which flashed much better skating than I expected from him.

All Cates does is make plays that save goals, both at 5x5 and on the PK. His defensive performance last season was no fluke.

Atkinson is shaking off the rust, and looks better with Couts, the two old men seem to have chemistry.

Staal - Walker works, Staal ain't pretty to watch but they get the job done. He''s ahead of Seeler, who looks uncomfortable at RHD.

Zamula showed a nice shot, not just the goal but a couple other times, but needs a better partner, maybe Walker when Risto returns, or paired with Sanheim and Risto with York. That will be a work in progress.

Knock Deslauriers all you want, but he's off to a great start this season, looks faster but just as mean - if he could only finish - but that's one reason why he's a 4th liner. Hathaway on the other hand had an off night.

All top nine forwards played better than Frost had in the first two games - he got benched on merit.
Hilarious

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Can we take a minute to appreciate this?

I would love to hear Tortorella speak at length about " What about the decision to play his 4th line at the start of the game, and in subsequent period starts?" Because it isa bit strange, so he must have some solid reasoning. And some thoughts about how it affects the other players, and what he's cooking up.

Follow-ups

Do they continue to get the game starts until they get scored on in their first shift? What can any other players, or lines, do to earn the right to start the game? Is this simply a concession to a season-long effort to instill proper player behaviours as opposed to winning games? What is the method behind the madness?

Do you feel that the liberties your 4th line takes with it's physical play outweighs the consequences absorbed by their teammates getting the shit knocked out of them, in standard NHL retaliation? Do you see it in those terms, and if not, what terms do you see it in? Is this simply another lesson for the teammates?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The first shift is more about rewarding players, the 4th line has been playing great so far.

The lack of skill is obvious, just watching Brink and you can see the lack of playmakers on this team.
But that's not going to change if you swap Allison for Hathaway.
Even Foerster doesn't move that needle, he's more of a solid PF than an offensive force.

Frost would help, but only if he shows up, saw the same thing in LHV and last season - at times he can be dominant, but also disappears for long stretches, especially against physical forechecking teams.

Compare to TK, he can be a wrecking ball for both teams at times, but you always know when he's on the ice. At times you wish he'd be a bit smarter out there, but you never doubt the effort.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I had tickets to see Paul McCartney at the Meadowlands a few years, decades, back. My flight got diverted to LaGuardia due to logistics. Missed the opening act but made it in time for what is probably the equivalent of the second inning.

Think of going to the Spectrum or anywhere else in Philly pre-I-95.

I-95 in Delaware [well.....alot of it] in November I963 was dedicated by JFK. His last official act before Dallas. Of course, half of Newark, DE was there including lots of friends and future girl friends, even one or two of my future wifes, were at this official ribbon cutting ceremony. The mural of the event was put up at the Hot Shoppes, the only rest stop in DE along 95. Now it is a Exxon/Wawa/Food Court. Mural is in Dover, DE in a basement in the Archives......

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Happy Couts scored, I hope he is truly back. Happy EZ scored. Brink looked good. Cates looks better defensively, but he's such a passenger in the offensive zone. I'm growing to really like Walker as a positive supporting player. The TK-Laughton-Foerster line was lack luster. Final score should have been 4-0.

One of the things that I noted last night was their ability to generate chances off the rush. The second period, the majority of their chances were either off the rush, or off turnovers... In the second period alone, Hathaway, Deslauriers, Zamula, Sanhiem/Farabee/Brink, Atkinson all had really good chances off the rush. Brink had a good chance off the rush in the 3rd as well...Even Tippett's mini-breakaway came from an offensive turnover. I can really only remember one really good chance (Brink's chance from Sanheim) where it wasn't generated off the rush. There may have been a few other chances, but nothing coming to my mind. It was like they were one in and done. Contrast that with Vancouver's minimal chances, they came off of the cycle.

It is good that the Flyers generated off the rush. Last year Vancouver were a bottom 5-10 team in entry defense, so it's not completely surprising that the Flyers were able to take advantage of that. The Flyers are poor in the cycle game, and that has to do with the fact that they don't have enough offensive talent. The offensive talent that they do have IMO is not deployed well enough to see chances off cycling plays consistently. It's also why one of the reasons powerplay is completely inept as well.

It's just one game early in the season, so we'll see how this progresses forward. The Oilers were one of the best neutral zone teams in terms of exits and entries and are also better than average in entry defense, so I think this will be a good litmus test for the team.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
There definitely were people still walking to the stadiums after the Flyers ended, I think they ended up parking in the neighborhoods. Oh, and the cops had closed off the WFC lot exits on 11th street, so everyone had to exit onto Broad.

1) who scheduled the soccer match?
2) why didn't those folks use public trans? Subway line was free.
Went to Xfinity live to watch the first several innings. Left around 9 and there were people running to get to the soccer game which started at 8

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Out shot Vancouver 22-1.

Frost won't see the ice again as a Flyer, unfortunately.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Don’t like rooting against the team but hoping they are a bottom feeder this year for a high pick. 3 games is nothing and as the season progresses, teams come into their own, injuries happen, the Flyers will regress. If they surprise and are middle of the pack, I suppose the silver lining is players stepped up, like TK or Hart being among the best at their positions in the league, or the young guys taking a big step forward. If TK is having a monster year at the deadline they have a tough decision to make. A 40-50 goal 80+ pts player could gel real nice with Michkov and Gauthier, but he could return a haul that could set them up well 3+ years out potentially

Last edited:

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Went to Xfinity live to watch the first several innings. Left around 9 and there were people running to get to the soccer game which started at 8
Ran into a group of German soccer fans at the Flyers game, obviously looking to kill 2 hours before their main. Game time.

Also amusing, leaving the stadium and hearing the the Linc PA announce in Spanish.

Reactions: Cody Webster

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Don’t like rooting against the team but hoping they are a bottom feeder this year for a high pick. 3 games is nothing and as the season progresses, teams come into their own, injuries happen, the Flyers will regress. If they surprise and are middle of the pack, I suppose the silver lining is players stepped up, like TK or Hart being among the best at their positions in the league, or the young guys taking a big step forward. If TK is having a monster year at the deadline they have a tough decision to make. A 40-50 goal 80+ pts player could gel real nice with Michkov and Gauthier, but he could return a haul that could set them up well 3+ years out potentially

Ideally guys step up, but we still lose close, and then the GM tears it down early - Jan/Feb, and we are top 5…

Reactions: Henry Miller

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Ideally guys step up, but we still lose close, and then the GM tears it down early - Jan/Feb, and we are top 5…
Yeah. In my mind they should be on the upswing the first year Michkov comes over. Can’t count chickens before they hatch but a blue chip prospect and late first they could get for TK matches up nicely with the timeline for 4-5 years out. I’m a broken record but I’d love to get one of the top dmen this year if we don’t get Celebrini or Eiserman. Things can be looking very nice if they bottom out this year and sell. It will just take patience

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The first shift is more about rewarding players, the 4th line has been playing great so far.

The lack of skill is obvious, just watching Brink and you can see the lack of playmakers on this team.
But that's not going to change if you swap Allison for Hathaway.
Even Foerster doesn't move that needle, he's more of a solid PF than an offensive force.

Frost would help, but only if he shows up, saw the same thing in LHV and last season - at times he can be dominant, but also disappears for long stretches, especially against physical forechecking teams.

Compare to TK, he can be a wrecking ball for both teams at times, but you always know when he's on the ice. At times you wish he'd be a bit smarter out there, but you never doubt the effort.

Your bit on Frost is a pile of shit. Tortorella is doing exactly what you've spent over a year insisting he wouldn't do. Have the courage to admit you have been wrong.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Your bit on Frost is a pile of shit. Tortorella is doing exactly what you've spent over a year insisting he wouldn't do. Have the courage to admit you have been wrong.
Admit Frost looked like shit his first two games, his only good period was when they were down 5-2.
The 2C job is there for the taking, but he can't be passive, he needs to be driving play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad