GDT: 3/8/16 - 7:30PM EDT - Boston VS Tampa Bay

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sustr was a pretty good PP producer in college but they probably want to save him for the tough defensive matchups.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Brown/Garrison/Filppula best OT line
Holy **** is that frustrating. PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS.

Man I hate when Cooper does this. I understand why he does it but it's just dumb. You don't put your defensive experts out in hope to stop the first wave of offense from the opponent. In 3-on-3 OT you put your best ****ing players on the ice in hope to score first. Because that's how OT is won. By scoring a goal. As fast as possible.

Boston comes with one of the best faceoff men in the league and their 1st line LW. We go with Filppula who gets destroyed in the FO circle by Bergeron and Brown. If this was because Coop thought we'd lose the FO anyway then these guys were not prepared for it at all.

No Look Pass

Feb 9, 2016
Hello! Greetings from Finland! Although I live far away from you guys, and I cannot, therefore, look at the on-site games Lightning (year from now I will certainly join us on a journey there to watch the games) I'm a huge fan of this team.

Playoff games will come at Finnish local time at 2 or 3 am and still I look at each of Tampa Bay's playoff match. I look straight 30-40 regular season games, and rerun about 20 games.

Lightning is an incredibly fast, skillful and young team and I think Yzerman has done an excellent job in building a team. I just love to watch boys playing and having fun on the ice.

Filppula is a my favourite player of the team. He played early in his career in my hometown team Jokerit of Helsinki. And that's when I fell in love his versatility. He can be fielded in any role and he never let you down. He is an excellent skater, incredibly strong in 1 vs 1 situations, a good eye for the game and high skill to pass the puck. In addition, he is an exemplary player and certainly good player to have in your locker room. However, his weakness is weak shot, and especially the fact that he uses it too often. In addition, it is customary for him to play well without that it is displayed on the result board. And I think that´s the main reason why he is one of the most underrated players in NHL.

And what comes to Boston Bruins game do not be so critical. I think in regular season it´s more important to play good game than win. Of course you have to get some points to get in the playoffs, but only then when team play in playoffs only to overcome matters.

I am very angry that so many of you started barking Filppula because he lost the first faceoff of the overtime. Don´t you remember that he has also won ****ing many first faceoffs for us and we are still 7-2 in OT this season. Maybe there´s a reason why Cooper wants to use Filppula always in the first shift of overtime. Seriously.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
If I remember correctly, we still have never beat Gustavsson in regulation. He's a good goalie but not this good. And of course the ****ing rat scores the GWG.

I think we played a good game and should've won that one but at least we got a point and still hold the lead in the division. I really don't care who we face in the first round as long as it's not Detroit.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
If I remember correctly, we still have never beat Gustavsson in regulation. He's a good goalie but not this good. And of course the ****ing rat scores the GWG.

I think we played a good game and should've won that one but at least we got a point and still hold the lead in the division. I really don't care who we face in the first round as long as it's not Detroit.

Before last night Gustavsson was 5-0-4 with a 2.17 GAA and .924 Sv% vs Tampa.

Gustavsson stats when playing *in* Tampa. 3-0-2 with a 1.75 GAA and .936 Sv%.(also before last night so only getting better.)

Gustavsson is to Tampa what Niittymaki was to Atlanta.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hello! Greetings from Finland! Although I live far away from you guys, and I cannot, therefore, look at the on-site games Lightning (year from now I will certainly join us on a journey there to watch the games) I'm a huge fan of this team.

Playoff games will come at Finnish local time at 2 or 3 am and still I look at each of Tampa Bay's playoff match. I look straight 30-40 regular season games, and rerun about 20 games.

Lightning is an incredibly fast, skillful and young team and I think Yzerman has done an excellent job in building a team. I just love to watch boys playing and having fun on the ice.

Filppula is a my favourite player of the team. He played early in his career in my hometown team Jokerit of Helsinki. And that's when I fell in love his versatility. He can be fielded in any role and he never let you down. He is an excellent skater, incredibly strong in 1 vs 1 situations, a good eye for the game and high skill to pass the puck. In addition, he is an exemplary player and certainly good player to have in your locker room. However, his weakness is weak shot, and especially the fact that he uses it too often. In addition, it is customary for him to play well without that it is displayed on the result board. And I think that´s the main reason why he is one of the most underrated players in NHL.

And what comes to Boston Bruins game do not be so critical. I think in regular season it´s more important to play good game than win. Of course you have to get some points to get in the playoffs, but only then when team play in playoffs only to overcome matters.

I am very angry that so many of you started barking Filppula because he lost the first faceoff of the overtime. Don´t you remember that he has also won ****ing many first faceoffs for us and we are still 7-2 in OT this season. Maybe there´s a reason why Cooper wants to use Filppula always in the first shift of overtime. Seriously.

welcome to the forum what you dont understand is simple this forum cannot abide a loss when we should win there is nothing like bad luck great goaltending etc.. a blind eye is cast in those situations and there must be a scapegoat

its never a tip of a hat to another team that played a great game is that simple

last night sure we had more shots but boston had plenty of scoring chances too i couldnt believe how tight the game was played

the good news to me is I do not think boston can play that way all the time can the lightning yessss i think we can so we are fine no matter what happens i still think boston is a pretender and falls pretty easily this year they do have good goaltending and monsters results say a lot he has owned us kinda like rask did for years

they played a good game it wasnt one sided no matter how you look at it was very hard fought i enjoyed this game a ton but stayed offline cause know how this forum thinks and just dont usually agree with a lot of it on game days like this one

this is one of those games you tip your hat and move to the next one:)

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Before last night Gustavsson was 5-0-4 with a 2.17 GAA and .924 Sv% vs Tampa.

Gustavsson stats when playing *in* Tampa. 3-0-2 with a 1.75 GAA and .936 Sv%.(also before last night so only getting better.)

Gustavsson is to Tampa what Niittymaki was to Atlanta.

Maybe if this was a playoff preview last night, we can convince Boston to use Gustavsson instead of Rask and see if they take the bait. Hmm.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Of course it had to be Alan Cumminng/Peewee Herman with the game-winner. Unreal.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Yay another DoPS hearing for a hit on a Lightning player's head that gets little or no attention in game

And it's the Bruins again. Please stop headshotting our guys Boston thanks

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Exactly the type of hit the NHL is trying to eliminate. Head was not only the principle point of contact, but also the only point of contact. Easy suspension.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Exactly the type of hit the NHL is trying to eliminate. Head was not only the principle point of contact, but also the only point of contact. Easy suspension.

It was more annoying that the refs did not see it. It's like, what game are they watching? This has been far from the only time suspendable hits have gone unnoticed during the game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

yeah, I don't think it was malicious, but it was reckless. Should have had his arm tucked to be making that kind of hit.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
yeah, I don't think it was malicious, but it was reckless. Should have had his arm tucked to be making that kind of hit.

If he keeps his arm tucked in this is just a clean hit. Would Kutch still have been lit up and sent to the quiet room? Probably. But in my personal opinion it would have been very similar to Stralman on Little. But because the arm is out and hits him in the head that's where the similarities end. Suspension worthy? Maybe but absolutely should have been at least 2.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Welcome to the forums bud.

With that said...Filppula is from your home country so I understand the link. But he is making $5M (third most of any of our forwards) a year and has been demoted to third line duties. He is the third highest paid forward on the team and he is being outscored by Namestnikov and almost has as many points as Palat is 20 more games. His physical game is non existent...thank god for his hockey IQ cause he'd be in the Carle dog house if he wasn't positionally sound. The only thing that exceeds the amount of non-checks and non-hits is his non-shooting. Filp even makes Purcell seem like a tough guy.

So yeah...he is getting dogged and rightfully so. And I'll keep dogging him until he either hits someone on the ice or starts performing up to his contract.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL

Do they not do the video explanation any more? Or is that not on twitter?

Weird because this hit looked way more suspend-able than the Rinaldo hit.

Let's see - forearm to the head as the only contact point....well the player hit is on the Bolts.....was there a penalty called on the play?..Nope....well then think we are all set here.

I am not outraged, but I am surprised. Had Kuuuuuch been hurt on that play I would be outraged!

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Do they not do the video explanation any more? Or is that not on twitter?

Weird because this hit looked way more suspend-able than the Rinaldo hit.

Let's see - forearm to the head as the only contact point....well the player hit is on the Bolts.....was there a penalty called on the play?..Nope....well then think we are all set here.

I am not outraged, but I am surprised. Had Kuuuuuch been hurt on that play I would be outraged!

As a Bruins fan as well as a Lightning fan I agree with you as do a number of other Bruins fans. Rinaldo gets suspended based on reputation which is understandable. Liles doesn't get suspended based on reputation, but it still sends the message that head shots are ok if you didn't mean it and don't do it a lot. The league has to be consistent with calls if it expects players to change their ways.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I would have preferred a fine but I didn't see it as suspension worthy. Absolutely a penalty though but refs suck no news there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad