GDT: 3/8/16 - 7:30PM EDT - Boston VS Tampa Bay

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tough loss to swallow. We played well all around, minus the pp.

I've had about all I can take of our crummy power play. It's cost us so many games already and God knows its gonna cost us in the playoffs assuming we get there. It truly proves the definition of insanity so long as you define it as doing the same thing over and over without success.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
This game wasn't as lopsided, but tonight felt awfully similar to the first game of the Detroit series last postseason when Mrazek was 44/46 on saves in a 3-2 game. When you fire 42 shots on net and lose...tip the cap and move on and be glad it wasn't a playoff home game.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I really don't get the rage about it. Cooper always starts Flip in OT. And Flip normally wins it. And hey look we are 7-2 in OT. Doesn't seem like such a bad strategy.

However, Killorn is usually the guy out there with him, not Brown. Brown looked totally confused when we lost the faceoff.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Holy **** is that frustrating. PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS.

So frustrating. Ben holds them. We have +40 shots. I know! Start Brown and Filppula! So idiotic.

Just bring in DeAngelo and see if he can somehow channel an inner Gostisbehere and run a powerplay. This is ridiculous. Not taking away the Bruins and Gustavsson's performance but come on, what was it? 5 powerplays?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This game wasn't as lopsided, but tonight felt awfully similar to the first game of the Detroit series last postseason when Mrazek was 44/46 on saves in a 3-2 game. When you fire 42 shots on net and lose...tip the cap and move on and be glad it wasn't a playoff home game.

And in a playoff situation the Lightning probably bang it home rather than losing 10 seconds in after an outright 2 on 1 after the draw. If anything tonight proves we'll be ready for Boston in a possible playoff situation. The gimmicks that come with OT are reserved for the regular season.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
So frustrating. Ben holds them. We have +40 shots. I know! Start Brown and Filppula! So idiotic.

Just bring in DeAngelo and see if he can somehow channel an inner Gostisbehere and run a powerplay. This is ridiculous. Not taking away the Bruins and Gustavsson's performance but come on, what was it? 5 powerplays?

It's not the personnel as much as the tactics. The Lightning PP personnel has evolved greatly over the past 4-5 seasons, yet it still completely sucks. I do realize that Hedman and especially Stralman are a bit out of their element as point men, which doesn't help, but it's not like bringing up a green Tony D is going to do anything. Remember when Nesterov running the point was supposed to help things out? And before that, when Barberio was supposed to know how to operate the point? I'm pretty convinced by now that coaching is the problem with the special teams, which is why I had a pretty strong cackle recently when I saw there was an Inside the Lightning: Special Teams edition debuting about two weeks ago.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Yzerman says: "Do you even AHL for 2 years bro? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead"

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
And in a playoff situation the Lightning probably bang it home rather than losing 10 seconds in after an outright 2 on 1 after the draw. If anything tonight proves we'll be ready for Boston in a possible playoff situation. The gimmicks that come with OT are reserved for the regular season.

Pretty much. At this point, the process means a lot more to me than the results, as long as the results work themselves out often enough to keep me satisfied, of course. As far as how the Lightning, as a team, performed tonight, I've got few complaints. If there's anyone I feel was a bit subpar and left himself prone to some could've-been huge mistakes, actually, it was Hedman. The SH break and also getting caught puck-watching on a cross-slot backdoor pass late in the 3rd period. Probably because he logged more minutes than usual? He did have a big plate tonight, to be entirely fair to him.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
With the Isles winning in a regulation over the Penguins tonight, giving them a five point lead on Pittsburgh for #3 in the Metro with two games in hand as well...just saying, it's even more likely than ever the winner of this division gets the Penguins in the 1st round.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's not the personnel as much as the tactics. The Lightning PP personnel has evolved greatly over the past 4-5 seasons, yet it still completely sucks. I do realize that Hedman and especially Stralman are a bit out of their element as point men, which doesn't help, but it's not like bringing up a green Tony D is going to do anything. Remember when Nesterov running the point was supposed to help things out? And before that, when Barberio was supposed to know how to operate the point? I'm pretty convinced by now that coaching is the problem with the special teams, which is why I had a pretty strong cackle recently when I saw there was an Inside the Lightning: Special Teams edition debuting about two weeks ago.

In a relatively small sample size, I can say the Lightning look magnificently better when Stamkos is on the blue line because his shots make it through and Nesterov doesn't handle the puck like it's a grenade about to go off on him. Call it a coaching issue but I know moving Stamkos from his circle to the point makes for a power play with much fewer shooting options. It's likely that coaching has a lot to do with this but the guys clearly have no idea what the heck they are doing out there.

If Coop gets on the radio and takes questions I'm gonna ask about the power play and remark that Garrison used to run the point in Florida and ask why it hasn't been done yet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty much. At this point, the process means a lot more to me than the results, as long as the results work themselves out often enough to keep me satisfied, of course. As far as how the Lightning, as a team, performed tonight, I've got few complaints. If there's anyone I feel was a bit subpar and left himself prone to some could've-been huge mistakes, actually, it was Hedman. The SH break and also getting caught puck-watching on a cross-slot backdoor pass late in the 3rd period. Probably because he logged more minutes than usual? He did have a big plate tonight, to be entirely fair to him.

Agreed. He might've been tired. Sustr actually had a pretty decent game for once and Carle was surprisingly better than usual. I just hope Stralman gets over whatever is making him sick because icing an AHL defense isn't gonna get us very far.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tough loss. They played well. Probably should have won the game. But Boston played tough and their goalie stood on his head. Let's take the point and move on.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Another game where the PP could've made a difference, owell.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I understand but I was somewhat joking? Not really? Idk. What I do know is our powerplay sucks and these guys do the same thing. Perimeter pass, look for that one cross ice seam, pass, pass, bobble, pass, blocked shot. They have no idea what to do down low or any kind of movement in selling fakes or closing down the penalty killers. Not many teams play up high on the PK, when you sit back and don't penetrate it, you have a weak and one dimensional powerplay, like ours.

I'd rather see Garrison run it like AlwaysSunnyInTampa said. Can't be any worse than karate chop dmen back there.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
With the Isles winning in a regulation over the Penguins tonight, giving them a five point lead on Pittsburgh for #3 in the Metro with two games in hand as well...just saying, it's even more likely than ever the winner of this division gets the Penguins in the 1st round.

If Malkin is healthy, I do not like this match up. We can beat them but I do not favor this match up in the first round.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I understand but I was somewhat joking? Not really? Idk. What I do know is our powerplay sucks and these guys do the same thing. Perimeter pass, look for that one cross ice seam, pass, pass, bobble, pass, blocked shot. They have no idea what to do down low or any kind of movement in selling fakes or closing down the penalty killers. Not many teams play up high on the PK, when you sit back and don't penetrate it, you have a weak and one dimensional powerplay, like ours.

I'd rather see Garrison run it like AlwaysSunnyInTampa said. Can't be any worse than karate chop dmen back there.

I would understand if you were just joking, yeah; calling someone up from junior to the Stanley Cup playoffs and giving them an actual, important rule would be sheer lunacy, but my response was more of a reflex to the "do this and it might fix the PP" idea that exists in Lightning circles. The point can be run better but it's not the only issue with the structure.

If Malkin is healthy, I do not like this match up. We can beat them but I do not favor this match up in the first round.

Which is why I wouldn't mind at all if the Lightning finish up #2 in the Atlantic, really. I do understand that "fearing" matchups is a losers mentality, and I also believe in the talent of the Lightning against virtually anyone in the East. It's not really a case of "fear" for me, as much as it is idealized matchups. Pittsburgh didn't exactly struggle to generate shot attempts in the three meetings against the Lightning. They also run very hot-and-cold, which is dangerous to consider in a short playoff series. Could TB beat them? Of course. And I would expect TB to win that series as well. I do feel quite more comfortable facing Boston or especially Florida, however; I really can't lie about that.

Winning the division means squat. Nobody remembers division winners because of that alone. Only one division winner has made it through their divisional playoffs under the current playoff structure; last years Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad