GDT: 3/23 | Raptor Jesus Returns | Bruins @ Toronto II

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No...I disagree completely.

I think Knight is a guy like Versteeg that if you don't hold onto he'll be an NHL player down the line for someone and will make you look bad if you dump him.

But he's light years away from playing in Boston. He also hasn't played much hockey last 2 years its now 2 seasons in a row he's missed serious time. Not a good thing for a pro hockey player to miss that much time at that age.

He has a long way to go. This is a 150 AHL game minimum prospect (and he might need double that.)

He's not going to snap his fingers and be ready to be a regular NHL player just because he can shoot the puck.

But you keep him around there is the upside and I don't think his current injuries will matter at all down the road if he can stay healthy going forward. But forget about him helping the big team soon IMO.

Drop the 0 on the 150 and I'll say if he can stay healthy and get the 9 games in April he'll be in Boston either playing or as a Black Ace

Knight can really shoot the puck, but also has elite speed and is a ferocious body checker.

He can play both left and right side, was one of the top faceoff men in the OHL- wonder why Hunter would have him take key draws, and led the OHL in shoot out goals with 7 in 10.

I've seen him in London, I've seen him in Camp, and even in limited Providence, I can go many deep on him with those who know more than me and everyone, not 4 of 5, or 7 of 8 but unamimous says he can really play. Some OHL people, some scouts, some writers, some Boston people who sit at the table, some people that play with him- I can go deep on this and there are a bunch here who I am friends with outside this message board who know as much of what I say they just dont write it but they know this supportable

His draft year I had no idea about him and called Red Line owner Kyle Woodlief to reorder my draft guide and asked him about a few guys to watch; every year Woodlief is gracious (doesnt hurt Kirk scouts for them as well) to tell me guys who he thinks would make good Bruins players. Well the first guy he mentions is this kid Jared Knight. I get his guide and call him back and tell him you got Knight like 71 what up with that:laugh:

Woodlief tells me he had been sluggish and was off the radar and no one knew if it was off ice stuff or what, but they diagnosed him with diabetes and once it was treated he went off like a rocket. Kyle told me he is probably the single biggest riser and could very well crack the first round (he didnt but missed by 2 spots); he told me about the Callahan comparison right then but mentioned Knight is fast as hell. He described him over the phone as a pit bull but tough as nails and no is not an opition.

well lo and behold they drafted him.

He may need 150 games, he may be a bust- but that is others opinions, mine is if he plays in April healthy he is up here.

Henrique, Zucker, Shaw, Toffoli on and on, Gallagher, Saad, there are plenty of yutes in the league now who imo he is as good as or most cases better.

I'm at 30 plus games a year anyone want to put a Guiness on it or whatever I say he will be in Boston before he ever plays 20 more games in Providence and if he is healthy he will be exactly what this tired ass team needs, a fast tenacious forechecker who can fire the puck like (maybe) Seguin- but I'll still take Knight's shot

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I do not care if Pandolfo is giving 110% he is contributing almost nothing to this team-he doesn't help his line. The 3rd line gets pinned into the defensive zone almost every shift. This is why the whole line is in the negatives. You can't score goals if you are playing in the defensive end of the ice.

Spooner is better than the current options and with the right kind of veterans on both wings he could do better, but he probably would be better served if the big club had players who could actually generate something other than chances for the other team to score goals.

At this point I am 100% pining for Pouliot (never hated him but Pouliot looks like the team MVP compared to anyone on the current 3rd line).

When the Bruins won the cup Tyler Seguin was a healthy scratch until the forwards were injured. This year the bottom 6 are all remarkably worse than Seguin was his rookie year.

Peverly can play better.
The Krejci line can absolutely play better.
Bergeron line has been consistent but they weren't that good last night.

It is really sad when a team is depending on its 4th line to score goals. Oh and two defensemen who haven't scored goals in more than 30 games (okay Seids just got his second in two games-he is now the current scoring juggernaut for the Bruins.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have been a B's fan for over 50 years. This does not qualify me to know more than a newer fan.

I think Looch will remain on the team and in the end we will be happier for it.

Horton I don't get. He has always been a streaky player. He falls asleep far to often for me. He has had some nice playoff games for the B's but I don't know if I would sign him at the end of this year.

It is a good thing that all of us are not makng the decisions. All in all Peter C. has done pretty good for this team.

Good post Ladyfan, I understand and can easily live with any player who has the reputation for being streaky, what allows me to accept those phases when they aren`t scoring is when they do things in other area`s that show me they are working hard and the goals will come and THIS, much like with Ryder, is why I have huge issues with Horty right now. Were seeing a Florida Panther Horty, the one who looks or presents himself as though he`d rather be 100 places other than the rink at that time.

Pevs has struggled, he knows it, we know it but yet, I still see him working hard, trying to work through it, I can`t say the same for Horton, and Looch has a massive case of stick clutching, just shoot the bloody thing. With the exception of last nights game (which I just finished watching) he`s been out there trying to create physically, but it`s impossible to expect that every game but he`s looking for his good buddy every bloody time he has the puck.

Suggestion??? Horty enjoys the view from up top for a few games or at the very least, slide Horty down, move Pevs up for a game or two

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the centers should be the focal point of a line- split Horton and Lucic up

tweak them- put Horton with Bergeron; put Seguin with Krejci

instead of having them both on the same line where they are the NHL version of he Halloween Line, split them up and minimize any damage.

They are both good players but its stale right now, neither is a great skater but Seguin is, Marchand is, even Bergeron is

hockey is about skating and effort- have those two play in the dirty areas, they'll get the blood flowing down there

two years ago they were in the same position, losing 3 straight, Ryder and Boychuk in the press box and they overcame it

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Good post Ladyfan, I understand and can easily live with any player who has the reputation for being streaky, what allows me to accept those phases when they aren`t scoring is when they do things in other area`s that show me they are working hard and the goals will come and THIS, much like with Ryder, is why I have huge issues with Horty right now. Were seeing a Florida Panther Horty, the one who looks or presents himself as though he`d rather be 100 places other than the rink at that time.

Pevs has struggled, he knows it, we know it but yet, I still see him working hard, trying to work through it, I can`t say the same for Horton, and Looch has a massive case of stick clutching, just shoot the bloody thing. With the exception of last nights game (which I just finished watching) he`s been out there trying to create physically, but it`s impossible to expect that every game but he`s looking for his good buddy every bloody time he has the puck.

Suggestion??? Horty enjoys the view from up top for a few games or at the very least, slide Horty down, move Pevs up for a game or two

Thanks !

I don't know what the answer is but I would move Nate off that first line and see what happens. The coach doesn't ask me though so it may not happen. ;)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks !

I don't know what the answer is but I would move Nate off that first line and see what happens. The coach doesn't ask me though so it may not happen. ;)

Haha, he`s done it before when Horty was struggling, shifted him down to the 3rd, not sure what is wrong, but I`m sorry, Horty is looking as disinterested as I have seen him since his arrival in Boston, and Lucic is, game in and out, looking to pass to him seemingly every rush down the ice and it`s killing any potential momentum.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have been a B's fan for over 50 years. This does not qualify me to know more than a newer fan.

Horton I don't get. He has always been a streaky player. He falls asleep far to often for me. He has had some nice playoff games for the B's but I don't know if I would sign him at the end of this year.

It is a good thing that all of us are not makng the decisions. All in all Peter C. has done pretty good for this team.

the only thing your age gives you over many is patience and experience dealing with adversity- other than that keep your mouth shut if you are going to make sense;)

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
the only thing your age gives you over many is patience and experience dealing with adversity- other than that keep your mouth shut if you are going to make sense;)

Hey are you telling me to shut up ?

I am sure I don't always make sense.

See you tomorrow. :)

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Couple of thoughts:

Although the shots on net were high, it appears no one considers themselves the "go to guy", when it comes to scoring. Everyone is dishing or giving. No one is just firing the puck. I know the average uniformed fan might scream "shoot the damn puck", but that's not entirely off the mark. Brad had two pucks skip over his stick during the PP in which he was point black, each of which he intended to handle, not shoot. What difference would it have made if he tried to 1_time them? Even if they weren't in his wheelhouse? He'd have to retrieve them or they might have been at least in the crease for a rebound. Yet both times he seemed more concerned about controlling the puck than he was about if it was a decent scoring chance. Just when you think they've made the right about of blueline passes, and a Dman can fire one into the crowd, the pass one more time. Same with oddman rushes (the few they get), it's one too many dishes.

The Defense is rebooting too often. Not necessarily with the dreaded D-D pass, but with back passing and doubling back. Yes we're not the Flying Frenchman by any stretch of the imagination. But an NHL team of any caliber should be able to execute an odd-man rush. And we don't get many because the D is never looking for a quick counter-punch. This constantly allows even a questionable defensive core (which Toronto is), to be ready and in position. They're too concerned (IMO) about turning it over in the neutral zone. Which is all, well, and fine, till it's stifling your quality scoring chances.

When we do generate an odd-man rush, we far too often pull the puck wide and dangle, while no one goes to the net. Cycle cycle cycle , lose possession, rinse and repeat.

We're not finishing our checks. Too many passed up opportunities to bury opponents and get into a game in the physical sense.

Lines 1,2, and 3 are not picking up on the 4th line energy. I thought the fourth line had the best shifts (CJ started them in the 2nd period). Yet that energy did not gravitate through the other lines.

To me some of these problems are part and parcel of CJ's system. Nothing is perfect, every system has a weakness. The weakness of CJ's is that it often saps creativity and aggressive individual play. It's a great team concept, it creates a "greater than the sum of our parts" mentality, but it often gets players out of the thought process that they themselves, alone, can make a difference in a game. It's a highwire act of keeping that balance of systemic defense and individual creativity and chance taking.

As indicated by our historical goal differential, the system works well most of the time. But when it doesn't it can produce these types of anomalous games, where we out shoot opponents, offensive zone time isn't brutal, yet are out of it till the very end.

I agree with you for the most part.

I'm very tired of the clogging up the neutral zone approach. The Bruins play the most boring system and the Rangers style is pretty bad too.

It's successful because they don't give up many goals but doesn't anyone else want to see the teams actually skate up and down the ice with the puck?

Both the Rangers and the Bruins have some fantastic offensive players and dynamic skaters but they look terrible because of the system they are in.

The 07-08 Bruins needed the structure and discipline because they didn't have much talent. This Bruins team has tons more talent and Julien still seems to be trying to turn everyone into a checking forward.

Peverley, Marchand, and Seguin are all great skaters and the Bruins have two excellent centers why not open up a little?

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
Originally Posted by The Legend
I have a question (and as a leafs fan, if I'm called a troll I understand): how long does the shine from winning the cup last? Most of you seem pissed that you lost the game tonight. I think if we somehow won a cup, I wouldn't care for a long time how we did. Am I just being naive?

Troll:laugh:

hmmmmm lets see ....????? Yup still shining , not glowing mind you but still using the " At least we were victors in this century as I explain it to most leaf and schabitant fans "

6-6-1 In March with four games left , I'll take it and will assume that the Bruins will raise their game a notch to finish March like a lion , not a lamb.

I don't get pissed until we loose a playoff game .

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I have a question (and as a leafs fan, if I'm called a troll I understand): how long does the shine from winning the cup last? Most of you seem pissed that you lost the game tonight. I think if we somehow won a cup, I wouldn't care for a long time how we did. Am I just being naive?

First of all Leafs winning the cup :laugh: Secondly when the B's lose to a crapy team like the leafs it's very concerning to us Bruin fans.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think hes cooked. I would consider a Kaberle type deal w Caron as the colborne.

Colborne has been very good for the Marlies.

The guy is a very tough player...He had a broken wrist all of last year but he didn't want to disappoint his team at the end of the stretch and the playoffs so he kept on playing.

The guy wears the A for the Marlies...if we somehow ship out Grabo, he'll be the #2C or #3C depending on what Bozak wants. Eakins has done well developing the guy, he'll definitely be in the NHL soon.

I don't think Iginla makes the Bruins a lot better...they're very good right now despite Horton and Lucic struggling to find the back of the net.

The asking price for Iginla would be higher than it was for Kaberle.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Colborne has been very good for the Marlies.

The guy is a very tough player...He had a broken wrist all of last year but he didn't want to disappoint his team at the end of the stretch and the playoffs so he kept on playing.

The guy wears the A for the Marlies...if we somehow ship out Grabo, he'll be the #2C or #3C depending on what Bozak wants. Eakins has done well developing the guy, he'll definitely be in the NHL soon.

I don't think Iginla makes the Bruins a lot better...they're very good right now despite Horton and Lucic struggling to find the back of the net.

The asking price for Iginla would be higher than it was for Kaberle.

Not to sound grumpy but... why even type all that? Why would we care? :laugh:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
This team has leadership/accountability issues.

I said a few games ago that the Bruins lacked leadership, and was told by BNHL that leadership is just a myth. :shakehead
I have to laugh every time I think of that comment.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I said a few games ago that the Bruins lacked leadership, and was told by BNHL that leadership is just a myth. :shakehead

Yeah, and playoff experience doesn't count for anything, either. Recchi was everyone's whipping boy. But he delivered both when we needed it.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think leadership may be one of those key missing ingredients.

I really think this team's problems are more of those intangibles than total lack of skill (other than the black hole line and to some degree Horton who I do think isn't even close to the same player he was before the concussions), but I think there is a void in leadership.

As much as Recchi and Thomas were a part of the cup winning team, I think they are missed. Recchi wore an A and in a lot of ways I think he was the defacto C. Thomas didn't wear a letter, but he almost always showed up with a high compete level and the team fed off Thomas.

I think team is currently lacking both of those.

I have also said it-but sometimes this team just seems complacent-they look like a bunch of guys who want to collect their paychecks, but don't particularly want to put much effort into earning them. They do not look hungry, and they I have yet to see this team get a goal or two ahead and put the pedal down and continue to hammer the opposition. They have no killer instinct anymore.

I will say one other thing in Lucic's defense. I think the league and the refs to some degree have neutered him. At the beginning of the year he was hitting and banging, and then went through a series of games where he got penalties for being too big. I think Lucic backs off from a lot of hits now-and I think the refs have essentially created a situation where he doesn't know what he can and can't do.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

As far as I'm concerned, because you had to wait for 39 years (as I did) to win another Stanley Cup qualifies you for a membership into the "Boston Bruins Fans Hall Of Fame". I don't know if that that makes you any wiser than the younger fans, but I'd bet you have more patience with this team than a newer fan would.

As for Peter Chiarelli, if it wasn't for him I think it could easily be 41 years and counting since the B's last Cup victory in '72.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I think leadership may be one of those key missing ingredients.

I really think this team's problems are more of those intangibles than total lack of skill (other than the black hole line and to some degree Horton who I do think isn't even close to the same player he was before the concussions), but I think there is a void in leadership.

As much as Recchi and Thomas were a part of the cup winning team, I think they are missed. Recchi wore an A and in a lot of ways I think he was the defacto C. Thomas didn't wear a letter, but he almost always showed up with a high compete level and the team fed off Thomas.

I think team is currently lacking both of those.

I have also said it-but sometimes this team just seems complacent-they look like a bunch of guys who want to collect their paychecks, but don't particularly want to put much effort into earning them. They do not look hungry, and they I have yet to see this team get a goal or two ahead and put the pedal down and continue to hammer the opposition. They have no killer instinct anymore.

I will say one other thing in Lucic's defense. I think the league and the refs to some degree have neutered him. At the beginning of the year he was hitting and banging, and then went through a series of games where he got penalties for being too big. I think Lucic backs off from a lot of hits now-and I think the refs have essentially created a situation where he doesn't know what he can and can't do.

I approve this message!

Last edited:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
First of all Leafs winning the cup :laugh: Secondly when the B's lose to a crapy team like the leafs it's very concerning to us Bruin fans.

It is concerning for Bruins fans but don't speak for all of us. The Leafs beat us straight up last night and are in the playoff hunt. This year is very strange with the shortened schedule and though its an outside chance that they would reach the cup finals, there's still a chance. As far as I'm concerned with a physical roster like that and some speed on the wings with some solid centers, though not the best centers, can make some noise in the playoffs if the can sort out the goaltending and if Gardiner plays well, their blue line might be solid. Not ideal, but solid. I think we'd do fine against them in the playoffs, but other teams I think would have a bit of difficulty with them.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Please speak for yourself, and not for all Bruins fans.
I don't think the Leafs are a crappy team, but are much improved from last season...and with this shortened season, anything could happen in the play-offs.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As far as I'm concerned, because you had to wait for 39 years (as I did) to win another Stanley Cup qualifies you for a membership into the "Boston Bruins Fans Hall Of Fame". I don't know if that that makes you any wiser than the younger fans, but I'd bet you have more patience with this team than a newer fan would.

As for Peter Chiarelli, if it wasn't for him I think it could easily be 41 years and counting since the B's last Cup victory in '72.

I feel like the den mother (along with GahdenRinkRat)at times .

I have more patience because I believe all players go through rough spells. If I thought they were really lazy and not trying I would say so but I don't see that at all.

I also hate when fans boo their own players. It hurts the team. If folks think booing will inspire a player to be better than watch and pay attention. All it does is make them have no confidence.

I hate seeing the guys come out on the ice with sagging shoulders and no swagger. Savvy was great at getting the team out of a funk.

OK...I am a sap and I admit it. ;)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs fan here, watching the Bruins I think they are by far the most complete team in the NHL in terms of team system, chemistry and players. However, I think they are missing a game-breaking forward, a real sniper. That's why I thought Corey Perry would be a Bruin had he hit the UFA market, he's not none as a sniper, but he's a game-breaking forward no doubt.

But then again, Bruins already proved you can win a cup without that game-breaking forward, I personally just think it will help their cause more.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Leafs fan here, watching the Bruins I think they are by far the most complete team in the NHL in terms of team system, chemistry and players. However, I think they are missing a game-breaking forward, a real sniper. That's why I thought Corey Perry would be a Bruin had he hit the UFA market, he's not none as a sniper, but he's a game-breaking forward no doubt.

But then again, Bruins already proved you can win a cup without that game-breaking forward, I personally just think it will help their cause more.

I thought the B's had a few snipers going into this short season, but a couple of guys I had in mind (Horton and Lucic) have been very disappointing to say the least, and just can't seem to "wake-up" and start scoring...but I'm still hopeful these guys can get their act together ASAP to give the Bruins a better chance for a successful play-off run... but if they (and some other players) continue to struggle, the B's might find themselves fighting for a play-off spot in April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad