Post-Game Talk: 3-2 tough loss

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Booing Alfie seems to have faded a bit, a boring ritual or an annoying chore after all these years, like taking out the garbage once a week or filling out your taxes every April. You'd think it would detract from the game experience. It would for me. But then, who asked me?

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Blaiming the goalie for a loss is not the best idea (unless he was absolutely terrible). If the D played an outstanding game, we do NOT have to rely on the goalie to make those saves.

I am not saying Scrivens should be our franchise goalie. However, we need to work with what we currently have since Reimer is injured and Scrivens has done his best to get us some wins upon Reimer's injury.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Tough game last night - needed time to cool down after not at least getting a point out of there.

Anyways, time to let Kostka sit out and put Liles back in. Although not horrible, Kostka's not shown much out there to earn PP time and that setup he got by Kessel on the PP where Kostka shot it 3 feet wide of the Bishop, was pathetic.

Next beef, how come Bozak and/or Steckel wasn't out there with under a minute to play to take that defensive draw? I know Grabo isn't horrible, but Bozak is rolling at the dot, and Steckel should have been out there to back him up - can't count how many times Grabo cheated on the draw throughout the night and got thrown out only to have McClement take it for him.

I know a lot of things broke down on that play, but Grabo has to find someway to scrum that draw - he lost it clean.

As for Scrivens, yeah, definitely needs to work on his rebounding control. Seems like the book is getting out on him to dump it in and let him play the puck (which we know he's weak at), or to take long shots at him since he seems to cough up rebounds.

Hope we get Reims, Fratts, Orr and Liles back in.. and soon.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Tough game last night - needed time to cool down after not at least getting a point out of there.

Anyways, time to let Kostka sit out and put Liles back in. Although not horrible, Kostka's not shown much out there to earn PP time and that setup he got by Kessel on the PP where Kostka shot it 3 feet wide of the Bishop, was pathetic.

Next beef, how come Bozak and/or Steckel wasn't out there with under a minute to play to take that defensive draw? I know Grabo isn't horrible, but Bozak is rolling at the dot, and Steckel should have been out there to back him up - can't count how many times Grabo cheated on the draw throughout the night and got thrown out only to have McClement take it for him.

I know a lot of things broke down on that play, but Grabo has to find someway to scrum that draw - he lost it clean.

As for Scrivens, yeah, definitely needs to work on his rebounding control. Seems like the book is getting out on him to dump it in and let him play the puck (which we know he's weak at), or to take long shots at him since he seems to cough up rebounds.

Hope we get Reims, Fratts, Orr and Liles back in.. and soon.
carlyle takes this loss, out coached, bad decisions

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm slept it off and I still feel so bitter about this loss. This is on par with the OT loss to New Jersey last year when Gustavssion let in that goal that was going wide. Carlyle's late game decision boggle my mind. HOW THE **** WAS BOZAK AND STECKEL NOT OUT?! And then on D, Kostka is the last guy I want out there, and he is the guy that gets beat for the goal. I can't help but think this loss comes back to bite us in the ass. We should have gotten at least a point!

/rant

SteveV*

It is simply ridiculous to have a proven NHL defenceman-that could dress for any team in the league- sitting in the press box, especially when he brings SO much more to the PP than Costco. Maybe he's not playing well, with confidence, because Carlyle hasn't allowed Liles to get any rhythm going whatsoever. Liles scratched is silly.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That is not classless :laugh: This would be a non-issue if the Leafs won last night.

If Alfie doesn't like being booed in his own building, he should tell Ottawa fans to show up to the games so he doesn't get booed.

I'd take being booed as a compliment..nobody is going to boo Phillips (he sucks). Sens fans were booing Kessel and Phaneuf all night too...you think they are going to boo Kostka?
Not saying that some Ottawa fans can't be morons, too, but I think you and I have different definitions of "classless." And winning or losing last night is a non-issue. In fact by this stage, Alfie is a non-issue. :laugh: Many of the people booing at this late date are now doing it out of dingbat habit. Time to move on.

hockeyfanz*

This one sucks, but losses will happen. We're not as good as Chicago.

Tough test on Monday. I hope this time all of our players are widely awake, unlike yesterday.

If anything most hockeyfans and Leaf fans included would be surprised at the Leafs play and record thus far into the season...especially given some key injuries to guys like Lupul and Reimer....so yeah the Leafs are definitely not world beaters and being 11-8 at this point is still actually very surprising....in a good way, IMO.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
If anything most hockeyfans and Leaf fans included would be surprised at the Leafs play and record thus far into the season...especially given some key injuries to guys like Lupul and Reimer....so yeah the Leafs are definitely not world beaters and being 11-8 at this point is still actually very surprising....in a good way, IMO.

Can't look at it like that, the way I see it... 12-7 > 11-8

Why be happy with 11-8 when we should have been 12-7, or at the very least 11-7-1

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs are clearly still a team finding its way. They come out like world beaters against marquee opponents but when you have a team that looks beatable, they don't have the killer instinct and play to the level of their opponents. Losing the two points and even the one OT point seriously sucks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That last goal was painful to watch, 1 Grabo loses the draw cleanly to a rookie, 2. Scrivens with bad rebound control, and 3. Gunnar with weak coverage. Hope this game does not cost us if we miss the playoffs by a point.

Unacceptable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bright spot again this game was the play and passion of Nazem Kadri, I always believed in him as a prospect, but the one thing I didn't expect from him is his pride in the Maple Leafs he plays with.

He's even exceeded my expectations, he takes no guff either, which is really nice to see after years of Leafs players taking guff from other players around the league.

Playing with one winger and still effective, looking fwd to when Frattin gets back.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Not saying that some Ottawa fans can't be morons, too, but I think you and I have different definitions of "classless." And winning or losing last night is a non-issue. In fact by this stage, Alfie is a non-issue. :laugh: Many of the people booing at this late date are now doing it out of dingbat habit. Time to move on.

It will continue until it stops getting under the skins of Sens fans; we are obviously still far away from that point.

Unless you don't understand what it means to taunt.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
That last goal was painful to watch, 1 Grabo loses the draw cleanly to a rookie, 2. Scrivens with bad rebound control, and 3. Gunnar with weak coverage. Hope this game does not cost us if we miss the playoffs by a point.

Unacceptable.

carlyle really screwed up on that one. he had a brain fart:nod:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gunnar needs to sit, or get better, simply not the same D men in this system or he is hurt. I would have preferred Liles last night. Expect him back in next game.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It will continue until it stops getting under the skins of Sens fans; we are obviously still far away from that point.

Unless you don't understand what it means to taunt.
While we're on the topic, I'm not really a big fan of taunting people either.

This is sounding like a broken record. You can rationalize it and try to justify it any bloody way you want, every day of the week and twice today because it's Sunday, but it still boils down to classless behaviour.

jughead42*

Kadri was beyond brutal last night, he looked like the Kadri of old. He was coughing it up at the offensive blue line like a champ, lingering for way too long on his shifts instead of changing with his linemates, and in general being a liability to the team. Let's see his fanboys defend that performance. An assist on the power play doesn't cut it when every time you touch the puck you're giving the other team an a-plus opportunity to score. I was just starting to buy into him as well, probably shouldn't have watched the game. Trade the bum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad