3-1 Habs vs Nucks Won it for Béliveau Edition

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
Wow, did Galchenyuk ever look good at C, I hope that continues and DD never sees the first line again.

nhlfarmteams

Jul 21, 2014
Cable was out but glad the Habs won. Great man, great franchise. Time to stop hating on the rest of the Canadian teams. The cup belongs in Canada.

Analyzer*

Wow, they counted Pacioretty's goal ? Nice. Mr. Empty net strikes again.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Great game all around. 1st line was amazing and Chucky really put on a clinic...he just lacks that finish right now because that line could have easily had 2 more goals. Pleks with the 2 rookies was a great line, beauty goal to win the game. I thought DD filled the 3rd line role well and their line brought offense, but he was bad on the PP and that whole DD-Pleks-Parenteau wave is just odd (he also cost us the Canucks PK goal with the weak back check). Overall one of our best games and a really fun one to watch.

Pleks just made himself look like the prime candidate for the C with that move tonight. Really classy.

That was on Subban

PricePkPatch*

That was on Subban

Subban was winded, couldnt have made it.

DD did his best, and almost managed to catch up. Cant blame him.

Sometimes, its not really anyone's fault that we got scored on. The Nucks played that play well and got a bit lucky with the bounce off Markov.

Trying to find a culprit to pin this on is useless.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That was on Subban
No it wasn't. You want one guy covering that player not two somebody has to stay back. PK pointed at DD to take the guy, it was his man. Unfortunately that player already had a step on him and DD wasn't able to contain him.

It was a bad flukey bounce off of Markov and it was one of those things. Neither PK nor DD were to blame. It was just a flukey bounce and the Canucks capitalized.

Davebo*

No it wasn't. You want one guy covering that player not two somebody has to stay back. PK pointed at DD to take the guy, it was his man. Unfortunately that player already had a step on him and DD wasn't able to contain him.

It was a bad flukey bounce off of Markov and it was one of those things. Neither PK nor DD were to blame. It was just a flukey bounce and the Canucks capitalized.

Well said. It's up to the forwards to cover the D - whether they make a mistake or pinch. If that forward is physically incapable of doing that job - that's a problem.

PricePkPatch*

Well said. It's up to the forwards to cover the D - whether they make a mistake or pinch. If that forward is physically incapable of doing that job - that's a problem.

Except that Subban was not pinching at that moment.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

The thing is Dorsett didn't have a step on him, DD was ahead the whole time. He actually backchecked hard enough to get into position to intercept the pass, but once in that position had no idea what to do... If you can't break up a play for Derrick ****ing Dorsett in the defensive zone, then I don't know what you can do defensively.

Aside from that play I thought he played a good game though. He can be decent in an exploitation role, playing 10-12 minutes a game. He can make weaker opponents look really bad and I'm sure he'll be able to produce in that role. He looked faster and more instinctive without Patches too. We're pretty much stuck with this guy, but if he can produce 25ish pts and put up decent corsi numbers on the 3rd line, I'll be happy.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For me, that was one of the most dominant performances I've seen by a Habs player in a long time and did not have any points to show for it.

Galchenyuk could have had a 5 point night. Unlucky, lacked some finish, linemates lacked some finish. All in all, great in the dot, great on the wall, entering the zone, defensively played well, silky smooth hands, great passing.

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want
Only difference in yesterdays game and say the last 10 games is see what happens if you move your feet Montreal like the first 15 games "Montreal's speed kills". Please play like that more often then not.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
For me, that was one of the most dominant performances I've seen by a Habs player in a long time and did not have any points to show for it.

Galchenyuk could have had a 5 point night. Unlucky, lacked some finish, linemates lacked some finish. All in all, great in the dot, great on the wall, entering the zone, defensively played well, silky smooth hands, great passing.

He was absolutely dominant performance at all ends of the ice. His work through the neutral zone is something we haven't seen in years... it's as if the puck wanted him, almost Datsyuk-like manoeuvring around Nucks like they were pylons at practise.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Was at the BC. I've never shed tears over there until yesterday's night. I will always remember that moment of silence and the constant applause for Beliveau and his close family. RIP Gros Bill!

Concerning the game, I really like the new lines. Thought everybody played pretty well especially the first line. Galchenyuk is definitely a beauty to watch with plenty of space in the open ice. They still need to work on some positioning and getting used to where they are on the ice. Really like Desharnais level of compete. Thought he worked pretty well with his linemates. Will be very interesting to see how his line is going to do for the rest of the time they're going to be together. Sick goal from Plekanec on that GWG. Very nice pass from Sven.

The only player I was really disappointed was Markov. He took some very bad decisions (ill-timed pass, ridiculous turnovers in the defensive zone, responsible for the only goal scored on, etc). Gonchar was also guilty of some sloppy play but like Markov, he was able to complete some great tape to tape stretch pass. I was watching Beaulieu and he played a safe game. It's just a huge shame he didn't get any quality PP time.

Overall that game will remind in my memories until the day I die. Huge thanks to the Montreal Canadiens for the sober but emotional tribute.

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
Sad the Canucks lost last night. Still haven't seen the Canucks win live. Oh well, I hope people enjoyed the anthems. Was pretty loud at the Bell Center. Kinda quiet for large stretches but the Go Habs Go for their powerplay in the 3rd was ridiculously deafening.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
I was at the game last night, and I have to give a lot of credit for the way the Canadiens production team handled the game. There was no hip hop or dance music, there was no "Pom fan of the game" or "Kiss cam", there was no "Energy Cardio" minute where everyone "exercises", there was no noise meter or any other little games or gimmics. It was just organ music and some standard Rock music like "We Will Rock You", mixed in with pictures and quotes from Beliveau.

This game was not supposed to be a party, and they handled it perfectly.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think PK also recognized that DD was on the inside. You had Hansen around the boards, Markov was in front of him in good position, DD was on the inside back checking and then Dorsett on the outside. You're also on the PP so you know there isn't a trailer coming in. It's pretty normal that PK let up. I think most guys would have, considering this was on the PP.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I was at the game last night, and I have to give a lot of credit for the way the Canadiens production team handled the game. There was no hip hop or dance music, there was no "Pom fan of the game" or "Kiss cam", there was no "Energy Cardio" minute where everyone "exercises", there was no noise meter or any other little games or gimmics. It was just organ music and some standard Rock music like "We Will Rock You", mixed in with pictures and quotes from Beliveau.

It should be like that every game. Enough with this scripted crap, let the game and the emotion take over. It's more genuine that way and makes for a better experience.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not really. He actually played quite well.

...he did, for the most part...unfortunately, due to Therrien's "sheltering" of the 3rd line all night, a new trick for him, he effectively turned the Pleks line into the 3rd line and the less-offensively-skilled 3rd line into the 2nd line (offensive zone starts, PP time, etc.) and it showed...Therrien's gotta get off the fence here and make a decision; either keep Desharnais in the Top 6 with skilled wingers or play the 3rd line like a 3rd line (like he'd do if it was Larry centering it)...

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It should be like that every game. Enough with this scripted crap, let the game and the emotion take over. It's more genuine that way and makes for a better experience.

I wish we would just have exclusive organ. Also I want L'Oreille or Halte-là as the goal song. Is that too much to ask :cry:

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
...he did, for the most part...unfortunately, due to Therrien's "sheltering" of the 3rd line all night, a new trick for him, he effectively turned the Pleks line into the 3rd line and the less-offensively-skilled 3rd line into the 2nd line (offensive zone starts, PP time, etc.) and it showed...Therrien's gotta get off the fence here and make a decision; either keep Desharnais in the Top 6 with skilled wingers or play the 3rd line like a 3rd line (like he'd do if it was Larry centering it)...

A lot can be said about Desharnais but..... do you really want him playing against good offensive players, especially starting in his own zone? Isn't it a foregone conclusion that Plek should play against one of the other team's top 2 lines?

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

Nice.

All of these things annoy me when I go to a game. If it were up to me it would always be like this. Let the game be the entertainment. This is Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad