Post-Game Talk: #29| New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | March 14th | 5:00 PM | F/SOW 3-2

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Right. I think that makes sense. I was just questioning whether the other is a possibility -- I'm just not sure. For example, if we wanted to bring Ladd up (it hurt typing that), we would need to LTIR someone to get the cap space, right?
Not anymore. The cap space opened up for Ladd (yuck) with Lee going to LTIR. We would also have cap space left over in the case of Ladd because he is only making $5.5M.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Not anymore. The cap space opened up for Ladd (yuck) with Lee going to LTIR. We would also have cap space left over in the case of Ladd because he is only making $5.5M.

Yea and it looks like Stape just said he's out for the regular season. Blech.

Reactions: nyisleslover

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Yep. That’s a real gut punch. Lee was having such a resurgent season.

Not to mention how uninspired we looked as a collective the first game he was out. I don't think we come away with a W last night if that was against any of the top 4 we are battling with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not to mention how uninspired we looked as a collective the first game he was out. I don't think we come away with a W last night if that was against any of the top 4 we are battling with.
Maybe, maybe not. But I do want to caution that the Devils are not pushovers. That team we beat on Thursday is not typical of the way NJ plays, last night was. They came back yesterday with a good response. The Devils are well coached. Not at all like the Sabres who basically fold up like a cheap suit. The Devils had their legs moving and it wasn't until the 3rd period before we got ourselves going.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yea and it looks like Stape just said he's out for the regular season. Blech.

One of the (better - take it with a grain of salt) rumor sites seemed to indicate that they heard Lee's injury was on the cusp of him being back at the very end of the regular season.

Again, this was just what one site intimated, with respect to the Isles potentially having Lee's LTIR money to use vs. having him back early and being forced to scramble to get cap compliant, should he return in the regular season.

Hopefully that remains the case and the Isles are simply planning to use LTIR for flexibility and will opt to time Lee's return for the playoffs.

Even though maybe getting in a regular season game or two would be beneficial for Lee near term, I have to believe it will be far safer to make sure he takes it slow and steady.

It would also allow the Isles to supplement his loss with a bigger move, so maybe Lee doesn't feel pressured to return early.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
One of the (better - take it with a grain of salt) rumor sites seemed to indicate that they heard Lee's injury was on the cusp of him being back at the very end of the regular season.

Again, this was just what one site intimated, with respect to the Isles potentially having Lee's LTIR money to use vs. having him back early and being forced to scramble to get cap compliant, should he return in the regular season.

Hopefully that remains the case and the Isles are simply planning to use LTIR for flexibility and will opt to time Lee's return for the playoffs.

Even though maybe getting in a regular season game or two would be beneficial for Lee near term, I have to believe it will be far safer to make sure he takes it slow and steady.

It would also allow the Isles to supplement his loss with a bigger move, so maybe Lee doesn't feel pressured to return early.
Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully true.

LGI

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe, maybe not. But I do want to caution that the Devils are not pushovers. That team we beat on Thursday is not typical of the way NJ plays, last night was. They came back yesterday with a good response. The Devils are well coached. Not at all like the Sabres who basically fold up like a cheap suit. The Devils had their legs moving and it wasn't until the 3rd period before we got ourselves going.

Agreed, the Devils seem to play hard most games, have a mix of vet and young talent and only have a few players who tend to make bone-headed decisions.

I am looking at PK Subban and some of his unforced icings specifically here.

The Isles need to take them seriously and play a smart and physical game. If you overlook the Devils, they can blitz you early.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I don't think we'll ever see Hickey in an Isles jersey again, but I'm not opposed to giving Aho a game to give the old man a breather.

Don't think it'll happen though. Trotz probably doesn't let up now and wants to bank points. If we see Greene given "maintenance days', it'll be later in the season with a more clear picture of the playoff situation.

I think what you are saying is more consistent with what Trotz has done, but I just have this feeling. Agree 100% that it should be Aho when someone gets a maintenance . But there is this, which has meant forward but we will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know BT doesn't like to change things up after wins but given this is b2b games in under 24 hours would it be possible we see Aho or Hickey today? I realize sacrilege and no one wants to see our 7th D but I worry Greene will wear down. Also Sorokin in net but if we are going to give someone a break, today is the day. Schedule turns killer after today.
If Sorokin is in net then this is not the time to give one of our regular defensemen a blow.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
need a better effort from Sorokin. he seemed lazy and over confident in the last game.

I didn't get to see the last game. I know, looking at the stat line that the 3rd period was rough. Do you think Sorokin's perceived "overconfidence" was a game long issue? Or was it something that developed after the lead was established?

I only ask this because for a rookie goalie, if it were a game long issue, it would be more disturbing to me than it being an issue after what seemed like a healthy lead. I think that lazy play under those circumstance can be corrected through coaching. A rookie who showed a lack of focus from the get-go would be much more concerning to me, personally. I say this too, realizing that Sorokin is no 21 year old rookie goaltender. I give him a little grace for it being his first year at the highest level though.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I didn't get to see the last game. I know, looking at the stat line that the 3rd period was rough. Do you think Sorokin's perceived "overconfidence" was a game long issue? Or was it something that developed after the lead was established?

I only ask this because for a rookie goalie, if it were a game long issue, it would be more disturbing to me than it being an issue after what seemed like a healthy lead. I think that lazy play under those circumstance can be corrected through coaching. A rookie who showed a lack of focus from the get-go would be much more concerning to me, personally. I say this too, realizing that Sorokin is no 21 year old rookie goaltender. I give him a little grace for it being his first year at the highest level though.

I think after his shutouts and these two easy periods he thought " Hey, the NHL is pretty easy . I really don't need to bust my ass. "

I'm expecting 0-1 goals allowed today.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I just don't think Sorokin has been challenged a lot. He lets in some pretty bad goals and he's only made one good save so far (Buffalo).I think we need to wait till next season before Sorokin really gets to be tested. Remember, Barzal also messed up in the beginning...we didn't really feel he was any good or his real value until the following season.

Reactions: bigtim1988

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Just win!

I think this is going to be a tough game to win.

I am admittedly surprised we won the last game. I just feel like there has to be some let down after a prolonged successful run, with the addition of losing your team captain (who was playing at a high level) in the process.

Last year's loss of Pelech during the regular season has imbued some degree of reticence in my confidence with regards to our team to adjust when losing a key piece.

Hopefully this is the my over cautionary characteristic expressing dominance on my hocktorial view.

Reactions: SI90

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think what you are saying is more consistent with what Trotz has done, but I just have this feeling. Agree 100% that it should be Aho when someone gets a maintenance . But there is this, which has meant forward but we will see.

I'm thinking it's Ladd coming in for the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad