Post-Game Talk: #29 | Flyers at Coyotes | December 11, 2022 | The Arena Has A Mullett | 7:00 PM ET

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I appreciate your optimism but I think they already blew their chances with the hot start early in the year.

They need a .28P% the rest of the way, something like 10-39-10 (Torts' sludge hockey will drag them to lots of OTs I'm sure).

As incompetent as they are I just can't see them being that bad the rest of the way. I think they end up around 70 points something like 16-31-12, i.e. total dogshit but on the path of MaximumPain.
The road to 55

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I will say, that with Braun or Seeler or those guys, York has been tentative. He was tentative in camp. And it's understandable; he's not a dynamo, do everything himself player, sort of like a certain unnamed forward. Travo is the best play-driver on the backend, the best passer, the most individually dynamic guy. Much like with the forward lines, York can actually play to his strengths with him and not be overwhelmed. Puck movers can play together! That's some of the most confident hockey I've seen from York in the NHL.

Don't cry, tender Biff, but for the simple cost of giving themselves back a 14th overall, 36th overall, two more 35-40 picks, a 3rd, a 4th, and $4.6MM against the cap, they could've just used Provorov-Ghost/York-Sanheim as their top 4 and been a lot better. Imagine the cycles.

Ok, sure, but who would be heavily gritty? Ridiculous. This doesn't fill roles at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Also can we talk about how often MacEwen finds a reason to take off his helmet and flip his hair back? It's a constant ritual. Is he trying to mate?
The alpha males win the right to mate by defeating opponents in fights. Thus, there will be no lil' Macs in the foreseeable future.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Watched a few periods last night. It was good, back and forth open hockey. That's what happens when two equally poor teams meet up at Mulletfest.

Frost, York, MacEwen (yes, seriously), TK, Sedlak were fun to watch.

I'd gotten my Flyers fix by the end of the 2nd. Watched the latest episode of Slow Horses. Seems I made the right choice!

Also - is it a Torts hallmark that all his teams just rack up loser points? I seem to remember Columbus always having double digit OT losses. And sure enough, the Flyers lead the league in loser points.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Someone has been notably absent from this thread....
grateful-jerry.gif

Legend has it that he's still writing his post-game write up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem in OT is Flyers don't have many players you'd want out there, TK, JVR, Tippett, Frost, Farabee? (seems like he's dinged up), Laughton? Cates? Sedlak? Who else? Sanheim and York were a good pair in OT, now I'm not putting Provorov out there with Risto (Attard is another story with his shot). And I'm not putting Seeler or Braun out there period.

Except for the second half of the 1st period, one of their best games of the season, but let's be honest, defense is not something Arizona seems very good at.

York looks nothing like the player struggling in TC and early on in LHV. I think he may have bulked up too much over the summer and needed to get into "skating shape,' because he's moving much better. He looked the same against Vegas, so I don't think it was being paired with Sanheim, but that he's just a better player now. If he keeps this up, he's going to be a fixture in the top 4.

Risto keeps playing a solid game, I mean he is what he is, and has no business on the ice in OT. But Shaw seems to be onto something.
Last nineteen games, xGF 50.07%, xGFrel +2.20, HDCF 53.08%.
If he can keep that up, he's fine as the #4/#5 D-man.
The real issue is Provorov and TDA, they don't fit together, and if they can't find a partner with whom they fit, they need to be moved.

Frost looked good, in fact, both lines looked good (Hayes - Cates - TK and JVR - Frost - Tippett).
Yes, it helps Frost to play with JVR, but it wasn't like he got worse forwards than Cates, it's just that with JVR out, they didn't have a lot of options for either center.
It also helped playing Arizona, a lot more "clean" ice than against say Vegas.
Something wrong with Farabee? He was MIA.

Hart is "OK", but while they hung him out to dry, good goalies don't get beat by every break away, I mean Ritchie?

PS: I thought Ghost had been revived as a 1st pair D-man? Thought he played worse than Risto. Hemmed in his D-zone.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
-Looks like all that time in the AHL helped York
-Good for Frost but let's see if he can keep up the production against a real team
-Something about Risto looking better (loved dumping the puck deep in OT)
-Great energy from the MacEwen line

Think I hit all the main points
Can I get the Powerball numbers?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is the laziest bait you've ever done. Well done. You've just outdone the "But that Pens series"
Well, got have my fun, after reading 200 posts declaring how Ghost in Arizona is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
You know if Ghost had a goal and an assist, this string would be a couple hundred posts long.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, got have my fun, after reading 200 posts declaring how Ghost in Arizona is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
You know if Ghost had a goal and an assist, this string would be a couple hundred posts long.
You’re strawmanning again.

Ghost + 1st + Multiple 2nds and other picks + Cap Space + Keith Yandle never being a Flyer + Etc is comparable to sliced bread.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Congratulations, you got fun while the team is still shit and playing inferior players. Great. Have fun. Amazeballs fun.
If the best this team can do is "well i bested some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: on the internet with something not based on reality", sounds like a great thing to watch in spare time.
F this and F your strawmen. "Ahhh people would be saying this and that I know it for a fact" f*** off

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Risto keeps playing a solid game, I mean he is what he is, and has no business on the ice in OT. But Shaw seems to be onto something.
I thought Ghost had been revived as a 1st pair D-man? Thought he played worse than Risto. Hemmed in his D-zone.

Oh oh, my favorite! Strawmans and cherrypicking.

AtkwoAC.jpg

Ristolainen is one of the most hemmed in d-zone players in the league for years and years. On the season, he's still at a -3 relxGF%......and you guessed it, Ghost is +3%. All for the paltry cost of a 14th, 36th, ~36th, and 4 more years of term at a higher cost! He was actually quite individually good, if you had bothered to watch.

It's honestly trolling after that game to praise Ristolainen. His brain farts directly led to that loss. Much like Ristolainen's season, I see no point here.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Problem in OT is Flyers don't have many players you'd want out there, TK, JVR, Tippett, Frost, Farabee? (seems like he's dinged up), Laughton? Cates? Sedlak? Who else? Sanheim and York were a good pair in OT, now I'm not putting Provorov out there with Risto (Attard is another story with his shot). And I'm not putting Seeler or Braun out there period.

Except for the second half of the 1st period, one of their best games of the season, but let's be honest, defense is not something Arizona seems very good at.

York looks nothing like the player struggling in TC and early on in LHV. I think he may have bulked up too much over the summer and needed to get into "skating shape,' because he's moving much better. He looked the same against Vegas, so I don't think it was being paired with Sanheim, but that he's just a better player now. If he keeps this up, he's going to be a fixture in the top 4.

If he can keep that up, he's fine as the #4/#5 D-man.
The real issue is Provorov and TDA, they don't fit together, and if they can't find a partner with whom they fit, they need to be moved.

Frost looked good, in fact, both lines looked good (Hayes - Cates - TK and JVR - Frost - Tippett).
Yes, it helps Frost to play with JVR, but it wasn't like he got worse forwards than Cates, it's just that with JVR out, they didn't have a lot of options for either center.
It also helped playing Arizona, a lot more "clean" ice than against say Vegas.
Something wrong with Farabee? He was MIA.

Hart is "OK", but while they hung him out to dry, good goalies don't get beat by every break away, I mean Ritchie?

PS: I thought Ghost had been revived as a 1st pair D-man? Thought he played worse than Risto. Hemmed in his D-zone.
Could not bring yourself to say having 2 dmen, 1 F in OT is dumb, I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad