Post-Game Talk: #29: Coyotes at FLYERS, Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just for sh*ts and giggles, lets look at the some stats IN A GAME WHERE WE NEVER HAD THE LEAD

Defensemens 5v5 icetime

Sanheim - 17:34
Provorov - 16:52
Niskanen - 14:24
Braun - 14:18
Myers - 13:07
Ghost - 11:00
Hagg - 7:43

Ridiculous. Now you may be thinking "But Striiker, you idiot, maybe Ghost had a bad game?!".
Eye test? Absolutely not, he looked great again in all 3 zones. What do the stats say? Well let's take a looksee...

AVs bottom pair rotation...

5v5 CF%
Ghost: 63.64
Myers: 42.86
Hagg: 20.00

5v5 CF%rel
Ghost: 3.07
Myers: -21.85
Hagg: -46.67

5v5 xGF%
Ghost: 66.01
Myers: 29.02
Hagg: 19.09

5v5 xGF%rel
Ghost: 8.51
Myers: -32.24
Hagg: -41.97

Which forwards did Ghost play the most with? The Hayes line, of course!

Laughton-Hayes-Farabee, as a line:
CF%: 37.50
CF%rel: -29.17
xGF%: 29.15
xGF%rel: -34.10

This is a defensemen who just last game had one of the best games, from any of our D, and then the coaches randomly decide to dress 7 D, bury him, use him with a crap line the most, and not even throw him out at the end of the game when they pulled the goalie. What a joke.
------------------------------------

OK, forget the defensemen, lets take a look at how bad Frost must have been to get benched with the game on the line in the 3rd, and only play 11:31 at 5v5.
Again, eye test says good (except for on the PP), so what do the stats say?

Frost
CF%: 75.00
CF%rel: 19.83
xGF%: 60.30
xGF%rel: 3.18

And the Giroux-Frost-TK line as a whole?

CF%: 80.95 (best on team)
CF%rel: 26.85 (best on team)
xGF%: 82.55 (best on team)
xGF%rel: 28.71 (best on team)

That looks like a line that definitely needed to be split up!

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a fan! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--------------------------------

Which forwards played the most?

At 5v5
Hayes: 15:43
Laughton: 15:28
Giroux: 14:58
Couturier: 14:45

Obviously dumb. Do the stats back that up?

CF%
Hayes: 48.15
Laughton: 30.77
Giroux: 75.00
Couturier: 69.57

CF%rel
Hayes: -19.12
Laughton: -44.23
Giroux: 21.30
Couturier: 11.94

xGF%
Hayes: 46.01
Laughton: 18.63
Giroux: 83.98
Couturier: 69.87

xGF%rel
Hayes: -16.57
Laughton: -63.62
Giroux: 33.93
Couturier: 18.71

So what's my point here? That these are all things that 90% of this board could have said were terrible ideas before they even happened... and they went awful. The coaches can't keep screwing up like this because these should be layup decisions. If they cant get these right then how can anyone trust them to get tough decisions right?

It’s little things like this that cost you points in this type of game. The entire game I was saying ‘This has to come from a dman”. You see it all the time. Hot goalie, point lob gets it done with a screen. I would think Ghost getting 10 more minutes in this game would make that happen and get us a point.

PP needs to work or you lose this type of game. PK can help there but we have allowed a few now recently.

Reactions: Striiker

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Let the players run their own damn powerplay, it’s bound to be an improvement. Therrien’s only job should be fetching coffee for AV.

Also FFS, why not get Ghost out there (paired with Myers or Provy) with the Giroux line anytime they are starting in the OZ?

AV might be doing a good job with overall 5/5 play and Yeo is certainly doing well with the PK, but this coaching staff is failing miserably with the PP. They also need to stop f***ing with Ghost and park Hagg’s ass in the press box where it belongs!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They lost because Kuemper played extremely well and they happened to flub some great opportunities this time. No need to complicate this.

Not being the reason they lost is also no defense at all for icing 7D or Robert Hagg. It was terrible process, even if they won 8-1.

These are separate issues.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
That Yotes team plays a fugly brand of hockey for today's NHL. We have some guys really struggling to finish right now, hopefully that turns around. Not an enjoyable game to watch at all.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They lost because Kuemper played extremely well and they happened to flub some great opportunities this time. No need to complicate this.

Not being the reason they lost is also no defense at all for icing 7D or Robert Hagg. It was terrible process, even if they won 8-1.

These are separate issues.

We dont need your logic here buddy.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Athletic said:
But it was Voracek — obviously a key cog in a successful Philadelphia power play for years — who predictably provided the most incisive commentary regarding the PP’s struggles. His opinion?

“Obviously, when you play nine years (with the) same setup and the same kind of lineup, you know what to do,” Voracek said. “It’s like automatic, everything is automatic, you have three, four plays and you make them — whatever is open. When you’re shifting from one side to the other and trying to find the right combo, it’s kind of hard to get used to it. Sometimes that happens.”

“I think in years past, all five guys had a job to do in a certain area of the ice when you were entering the zone,” he said. “Right now, I think it’s kind of … we’re not sure where to go 100 percent. And that’s I think the problem. You know, if one guy doesn’t go, the other guy has no idea what to do. We have to have better certainty on the power play, I think. That’s my opinion.”

tenor.gif

What a ringing endorsement of the PP systems.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What they're doing isn't working, but I'm not sure what they used to do would work anymore (it didn't last year).
The game has changed in terms of defending the PP, so their static setup probably had to be modified.
Just not this modification.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
What they're doing isn't working, but I'm not sure what they used to do would work anymore (it didn't last year).
The game has changed in terms of defending the PP, so their static setup probably had to be modified.
Just not this modification.
But supposedly it did work until Gordo came in and swapped the wings.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It sorta did, first 31 games:
xGF/60: 6.91
GF/60: 4.23
next 51 games:
xGF/60: 7.92
GF/60: 6.90

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
What a terrible hockey game to watch. Yuck.

Flyers dominated 5v5, but lost the special teams battle. Not sure what they can do to fix the PP - the forwards down low provide no value right now. I honestly can't even remember the last time JVR or anyone tipped the puck. It's all predictable perimeter play.

But hardly anyone was there to see it, so maybe it didn't happen.

Move on and beat Ottawa on Saturday.

Like, seriously. Don't freaking lose to Ottawa (who just shut down McJesus and the Leons).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What a terrible hockey game to watch. Yuck.

Flyers dominated 5v5, but lost the special teams battle. Not sure what they can do to fix the PP - the forwards down low provide no value right now. I honestly can't even remember the last time JVR or anyone tipped the puck. It's all predictable perimeter play.

But hardly anyone was there to see it, so maybe it didn't happen.

Move on and beat Ottawa on Saturday.

Like, seriously. Don't freaking lose to Ottawa (who just shut down McJesus and the Leons).

Fire Therrien

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Our coaches suck

Who was available that was better that wanted to come here? Q, who it seems didn't want to come here, isn't doing better in Florida and he got the top FA goalie.

At some point you need to look at other things. Luck and poor coaching can only be blamed for part of it when the metrics are still there that good things should be occuring.

Also it's fun to see people whining when this team is winning. Can you imagine if they had the Devils or Kings record? This team is 7th overall in the whole league.

Reactions: BrokenStix

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You win a few you should lose and lose a few you should win, over 82 games it tends to even out.

And AV coaches for the marathon, that is, a lot of his moves are build around a "100 game season," that is, preparing his teams not just to make the playoffs but to make noise in the playoffs.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Just food for thought.

We played 7 dmen. And were down one center. So only three. Not four. And one center who was playing well was benched in the 3rd. How does that help???

Edit: and I think av has done a good job. Don’t mind the system. Would like more controlled entries. Just pointing out something that’s mind boggling

Also just a thought. The forced dumps earlier were odd to me. It seem like he was forcing players to dump who’s strength is entries. And lines who need more possession to dump and chase and lines setup to dump and chase to do controlled entries.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Love how honest Jake is about the PP. They didn't need to re-invent it. All they had to do was tweak a few things....and I have used this example before.

The slot and net guys should be different handedness. When G has the puck on the left wall, let JVR slide out to be the "shooter option" in the slot for G to pass to for a quick shot. Have TK become the net guy.

Then when the puck goes over to Jake, TK becomes the slot guy as a "shooter option" for Jake, JVR the net guy. Ghost(should be on #1PP) can slide over closer to Jake while G becomes like a 2nd point guy, but in slightly. So Jake has 2 pass options(Ghost and JVR) and 2 shooter options(TK and G)....or shoots himself and we have 2 guys there for a rebound.

Or JVR slides out a bit as pass option for Jake, TK moves in for a quick shot option from JVR and Giroux moves into the slot area as another option if the pass gets by TK or if a rebound occurs.

We don't need to panic when the puck goes to the right side of the ice and ring it around the boards to Giroux. Set up a play based on where the puck is.

We DO need to move more on the PP, but we don't need to stop doing what has worked for years either. Just ADD to it like some things I mentioned above.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Who was available that was better that wanted to come here? Q, who it seems didn't want to come here, isn't doing better in Florida and he got the top FA goalie.

At some point you need to look at other things. Luck and poor coaching can only be blamed for part of it when the metrics are still there that good things should be occuring.

Also it's fun to see people whining when this team is winning. Can you imagine if they had the Devils or Kings record? This team is 7th overall in the whole league.

They're on a 108 point pace. Will certainly ebb and flow throughout the season, but it's a big change from the last several years of garbage hockey. The team was unwatchable.

Right now, there's no one I dislike on the Flyers, and they seem like a really tight group having fun and gaining confidence.

Too many passers on the team though. Last night, I could have pummeled Oskar for passing up a Grade A shot location and choosing to make a pass that didn't work. Hayes did the same more than a few times. Jake, Frost also overpassed on a few chances. Sanheim took too long to get that shot off late in the game. ONE-TIME THAT PUPPY, SANNY!

Overall happy with the team though. It's the start of something good.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
PP lost us the game. Fire Therrien.

Missed the net or over-passed on too-many good looks all game.

Arizona played like some of the lesser-skilled Trap-Era Devils. Just ****ing hideous hockey. The type that turns fans away if anything. Not at all surprised they cant attract new fans despite playing better. Vomit-inducing.

Ekman-Larsson is a piece of garbage. He has been for years but its under the radar.

Ive never seen officials get in the ****ing way so much in my life. ****ing clowns.

That was I was thinking during the game until I feel asleep: a Devils-like trap....

Trap.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What happened to the NHL getting tough on interference? Clutch and grab hockey is back.

The amount of interference they did in the slot and below the circles was unbelievable. It was impossible to get to a rebound. It was dead puck era levels of interference and boxing out.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
although it wasn't the greatest game, by the flyers. i give the yotes and tocchet credit for not trying to play pond hockey, with a team that scored 6 in their last game. boring yes, but they gave themself the best chance to win. I hope the flyers can learn to win these types of games, because this will be what they face come playoff time.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad