Post-Game Talk: #29: Coyotes at FLYERS, Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m not going to say Therrien has done a stellar job with the PP, but its failure is on the players first & foremost. They aren’t executing well. Frost unfortunately was a massive hole on PP1 last night. Probably time to get Jak back on the first unit, & switch out Frost for Hayes (who is playing very well) on PP2.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I’m not going to say Therrien has done a stellar job with the PP, but its failure is on the players first & foremost. They aren’t executing well. Frost unfortunately was a massive hole on PP1 last night. Probably time to get Jak back on the first unit, & switch out Frost for Hayes (who is playing very well) on PP2.

This is what I got from Jake last night. Yes he's frustrated that they changed the setup but he also understands that it's on the players to execute what the coaches are drawing up. It works for other teams and if they can get it working along with the old "perfect" setup they become a very dangerous team.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, Jake has been pretty good on the PP when doing general entries and getting quick accurate passes through. He should be back on the 1st PP unit.

Farabee-Giroux-TK
Ghost/Provy-Jake

Frost-Couts-Lindblom
Ghost/Provy-Niskanen/Sanheim/Myers

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Avalanche fan here, just coming in to tell you guys that I'm rooting for you and my dream is to see the Flyers vs Avs in the Stanley Cup Finals! I think you guys are going to be good soon and a mainstay in the playoffs out east. Especially if you guys can get a decent draft this season OR pull a Blackhawks and jump up in the draft order. A couple questions:

How is Frost looking?
What are you missing/biggest needs for the team to make the next step?
Where do you see the Flyers drafting this season?

Thanks in advance!

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Whatever that game was by the Coyotes is why hockey isn’t popular.

That was a chore to watch and I’m a diehard. Just awful entertainment.
They play an unbelievably boring game. Are they still running that trap business? It is like playing a video game vs a person that knows one cheap ass move and spams it so much the game never really ends.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Avalanche fan here, just coming in to tell you guys that I'm rooting for you and my dream is to see the Flyers vs Avs in the Stanley Cup Finals! I think you guys are going to be good soon and a mainstay in the playoffs out east. Especially if you guys can get a decent draft this season OR pull a Blackhawks and jump up in the draft order. A couple questions:

How is Frost looking?

Thanks in advance!

Frost is having the typical start to an NHL career seeing the good but also the bad. He'll be a gem when he gets it sorted out.

The real need right now is to let the roster stabilize and stay healthy. Some will say fix the PP but really it's more an execution thing that if left be should sort itself out if the players are the stars they are.

I see them either 3rd in Metro or a Wild Card so not a good spot in most peoples eyes but the Flyers tend to find gold later in the round.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah. It’s hard to be upset about last night. We were clearly the better team. We have been scoring goals, not a bunch, but enough, and last night we Ran into a hot goalie.

it happens. We played the best team in the pacific and manhandled them haha

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

How is Frost looking?

Thanks in advance!

Frost looks like a talented rookie, that is, he flashes great skills but isn't finishing plays and is still adjusting to NHL speed
Biggest need for this team short-term is for the kids to grow up, Hart, Frost, Farabee, Myers and Sanheim. Long-term, a young RHD to replace Braun/Niskanen, and a RW sniper (Brink?)
Hopefully, they'll be drafting in the 20s and go for BPA.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Frost looks like a talented rookie, that is, he flashes great skills but isn't finishing plays and is still adjusting to NHL speed
Biggest need for this team short-term is for the kids to grow up, Hart, Frost, Farabee, Myers and Sanheim. Long-term, a young RHD to replace Braun/Niskanen, and a RW sniper (Brink?)
Hopefully, they'll be drafting in the 20s and go for BPA.
I feel like if I were a Flyers fan I would want a top 3 pick this season. The draft is supposed to be killer...not saying you guys suck at all but that could pay mega dividends quickly. Put you over the top as soon as next year as a division threat.

I really like Frost and hope he ends up being a star!

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't get how a club like Arizona all of a sudden gets so much leeway from the refs like they are one of the Detroit dynasty teams.

I will never understand the idea in sports that "team X runs interference (or some other penalty) on every play knowing the refs cant call it every time"

If the refs were doing their job they would just call it every time. The coyotes could have had at least 3 or 4 interference penalties in the first. If they simply call those first 4 the game opens up and gets played as it should.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Frost is having the typical start to an NHL career seeing the good but also the bad. He'll be a gem when he gets it sorted out.

The real need right now is to let the roster stabilize and stay healthy. Some will say fix the PP but really it's more an execution thing that if left be should sort itself out if the players are the stars they are.

I see them either 3rd in Metro or a Wild Card so not a good spot in most peoples eyes but the Flyers tend to find gold later in the round.

The PP struggles to enter the zone and rarely gets players open in dangerous areas. I have trouble blaming the players for a lack of execution when I cant even see plays developing that if executed properly would lead to high danger chances.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get how a club like Arizona all of a sudden gets so much leeway from the refs like they are one of the Detroit dynasty teams.

I think it comes down to this...if you do it constantly the refs become numb to it. You will still get called (like Chychrun last night for example) but they will let the majority of it go because they acclimate to it and for the sake of "game management."

I might actually rewatch last nights game to count the amount of interference penalties they should have been called for in the defensive zone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not worth it for AV, but if I were a HC in their division, I'd go ballistic on the league office, accept my fine, and hope to influence the refs to call interference tighter on Zona.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

How is Frost looking?

Thanks in advance!

Frost has looked very good. Should have a lot more points than he has so far.

Biggest need is sorting out the Powerplay (Michel Therrien has ruined it). I also think they could use a bit more speed on the wings in the bottom 6, but that might just be me.

I think the Flyers draft between 20-31 because I see them winning a round this year at least.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Poor Frosty was livid with himself when he missed the top corner last night.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Frost’s talent is readily apparent, & I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his ability to win/steal pucks with a lightning quick stick & anticipation.

As expected, though, he’s having a tough time making plays he’s used to making but against bigger, faster, better positioned players than he’s used to. He’s forcing passes trying to make plays that aren’t there in the NHL (so is Farabee). That’s dangerous. But he’ll learn, like TK mostly has.

AV clearly likes both of them. He’s keeping Frost on PP1, despite some struggles, which shows he really likes his skill level.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Frost’s talent is readily apparent, & I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his ability to win/steal pucks with a lightning quick stick & anticipation.

As expected, though, he’s having a tough time making plays he’s used to making but against bigger, faster, better positioned players than he’s used to. He’s forcing passes trying to make plays that aren’t there in the NHL (so is Farabee). That’s dangerous. But he’ll learn, like TK mostly has.

AV clearly likes both of them. He’s keeping Frost on PP1, despite some struggles, which shows he really likes his skill level.

Does “forcing plays” ever truly go away though? Giroux has had a handful over the past few games, and it’s a regular occurrence in his game. Of course, 99% of his forced plays don’t End up in our net and he’s a helluva player the rest of the time.

Jake forces passes and plays every single game and many of them fail. Coots will occasionally do it too, but at a much lower rate.

I think it just comes with the territory of being an offensive player. It’s a percentage game. Obviously they get better at judging *when* to take those risks.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Does “forcing plays” ever truly go away though? Giroux has had a handful over the past few games, and it’s a regular occurrence in his game. Of course, 99% of his forced plays don’t End up in our net and he’s a helluva player the rest of the time.
Jake forces passes and plays every single game and many of them fail. Coots will occasionally do it too, but at a much lower rate.

I think it just comes with the territory of being an offensive player. It’s a percentage game. Obviously they get better at judging *when* to take those risks.

It never completely disappears, but there are really low percentage NHL forced passes that frequently appear with young players that need to be vastly reduced.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad