GDT: 28/09/2013 HNIC preseason finale vs Leafs 7pm

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even the "NHL" players that played in this game looked like crap.

Really just a stale night for pretty much everyone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That described an entire team tonight, so I'm not sure how much value tonight's viewing has in terms of prospect value.

Lost every board battle in the offensive zone, turned the puck over a ton in the neutral zone, got beat and caught chasing in the defensive zone.

Pretty much just bad all around.

HTT3*

Detroit's prospects just got humiliated by Toronto's prospects. Nothing about this game was re-assuring for our future. XO looked okay at times, and looked lost at other times. Tatar and Nyquist look like they belong in the AHL, and Jarnkrok is extremely overrated.

Oh, and LOL @ B. Smith! Guy is brutal.

HTT3*

:eek: if you consider that a 'beast'. Wowza! Score was 3-1 Toronto, right?

Just wondering if you watched the same game...

Aug 6, 2012
:eek: if you consider that a 'beast'. Wowza! Score was 3-1 Toronto, right?

I forgot Nyquist was the sole reason the Wings win or lose.

He was really good defensively, on the back-check and on the forecheck tonight. No he didn't score which obviously isn't great but the rest of his game was VERY impressive. Made a lot of the little plays.

RedWingsNow*

Mrazek was really good.
Sproul skates beautifully for a guy his size.
Ouellet struggled a bit in the second but was solid,
Smith remains an enigma.
Lashoff is not very good.
Paetsch -- if he was faster, I think he might be Babcock's first callup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Detroit's prospects just got humiliated by Toronto's prospects. Nothing about this game was re-assuring for our future. XO looked okay at times, and looked lost at other times. Tatar and Nyquist look like they belong in the AHL, and Jarnkrok is extremely overrated.

Don't forget your boy Samuelsson was out there and looked like crap too.

The whole team was pretty off tonight.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It was a great game in the true spirit of pre-season. I wouldn't say Detroit got embarrassed, they got schooled. It was 60 min of hockey, a lot was going on out there. We were dominated eventually but it was a good fight. Toronto's players perfectly matched and then wore down "the explosion." Always give credit to our opposition, they iced a good looking team.

Yea I look way more at the NHL stars we need to be romping who is Smith, Miller, Kindl, Samuelsson, Lashoff, etc. Damn. Like RWN said we need players who can take the game into their own hands. We've got to rise up.

Nyquist and Tatar were by far the best players on the ice for Wings in the beginning of the game they are outstanding. Even our long range shots were shots when the game was still tied and beyond. I could give advice but they are from some other planet and I'd rather watch it happen.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Nyquist and Tatar is our secondary leadership.

They were definitely the ones pushing the pace offensively, early on tonight. Its nice to have somebody outside of D and Z that can do that, at least on occasion. Alfie had a good showing last night, hopefully he can energize Franzen. If those forwards can consistently bring it, i think we can contend.

Thats a very big if, however.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Leafs had a much older, more experienced lineup than the Wings. Kadri, Raymond, Riemer, Franson are all good, proven NHL players. We had borderline 4th line players matched up against their 1st line (Emmerton, Samuelsson, Miller) Then guys like Colbourne, Bodie, Abbott, Smith, Devane, Holzer are all in their mid 20's, are much more physically developed and further in their development as players than the kids the Wings threw out there. Sheahan, Sproul, Ouellet, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Glendening, Callahan are all 20-22 years old.

As far as Smith goes, he's got a lot of talent but he just keeps making boneheaded decisions. I'm beginning to think he just isn't very smart. He just doesn't seem to learn, makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This was not a good outing for our prospects, however it was just one game. One game in the preseason. True this is the time where they need to express their game, but our best prospects have demonstrated their ability at every stage previous to this and performed well. Not to mention we have the reigning AHL champions and the playoff MVP about to step into the NHL. Mrazek is still a teenager, Jarnkrok has a season to develop on the NHL ice, Sheahan has another year to truly dominate the AHL, XO and Sproul have never played a full season of professional hockey. Mantha was just drafted and is now performing well in the Q. I'm not terribly concerned for the future of our franchise based on lackadaisical and lackluster performance in a couple of preseason games.

RaySheppard

Oct 9, 2010
Props to the Red Wings brass for giving Hoggan a game on HNIC. Class move.

It looked to me like there was 4 NHL players in the Griffin's Marlies's tilt last night. Nyquist,Tatar,Reimer and Kindl. If that's a backhanded slap at Emmerton,Miller,Sammy so be it.

What ever became of Landon Ferraro?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad