#27 Kings vs. Sharks - 3/16/13, 5-2 Win! back up to 6th in West !

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Richards with 13 min?

He has 1 game this year where he has played over 20 minutes a game. He use to avg 21 min a game.

What the hell is going on here. I know the kings blew out the sharks but it would make sense to play Richards one of your best defensive forwards to preserve that lead.

The Kopitar and Stoll lines were dominating the play yesterday. Stoll had more than 20 minutes of ice time.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Richards with 13 min?

He has 1 game this year where he has played over 20 minutes a game. He use to avg 21 min a game.

What the hell is going on here. I know the kings blew out the sharks but it would make sense to play Richards one of your best defensive forwards to preserve that lead.
Seemed to me the lines were being rotated pretty evenly for the most part. I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter was trying to protect the Richards line a little because of it being Toffoli's first game.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
That makes sense. How did tt look out there
He looked solid. He had a couple grade A chances that he just missed the net on. He easily could have had a couple goals, but it seemed like he was gripping the stick a little tight when he had his chances. The penalty shot was a result of a great backcheck on his part. He managed to be the first one back to get a whack at Wingels. His passing on the breakouts was good, too. That line moved the puck pretty well up the ice.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I wouldn't mind seeing Toffoli hanging around for a few more games to see what he can develop. I feel bad for sitting Nolan though.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Richards with 13 min?

I know it's not the be-all end-all, but Richards is -8 this year, currently worst on the team.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Richards with 13 min?

Yeah I saw that too.

Stoll, Lewis and King were leading the Kings in ice time yesterday, which was pretty awesome for them to earn.

Richards usually draws some hard competition, and I think throwing him out there with Toffoli as a wildcard would have been risky.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Richards with 13 min?

I think Richards has a minor shoulder injury from a couple of games back. Sutter is probably protecting him a bit.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
love this:

San Jose Head Coach Todd McLellan:
“How frigging disappointing is that? We play against the Stanley Cup champions back-to-back. We’re lucky enough to win one in San Jose.

The whole quote is great (from nhl.com). I don't know if McLellan knows how to motivate his players with statements like these to the public. Just seems like a really negative attitude going on up there. I guess he's getting desperate.
"How frigging disappointing is that?" McLellan said. "We play against the Stanley Cup champions back-to-back. We're lucky enough to win one in San Jose. We come here and you got to think they'd to be champing at the bit and be ready to go, and they're going to push you, and what a great opportunity for our team to test themselves collectively, but also individually: Do I belong in the NHL? When I look across, can I outplay the guy that I line up against? We had a lot of passengers. So disappointing. So disappointing."

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I think Richards has a minor shoulder injury from a couple of games back. Sutter is probably protecting him a bit.

The TOI was pretty weird last night. The third line had the most minutes out of anyone. Richards-Carter-Tofolli averaged 12 minutes. I will say I wish Carter and Richards were out on the PK more.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TT has had his doubters since all the way back in Bantam. He has always exceeded expectations and like I said when we drafted him, we have found a keeper and a special player. He missed a couple of grade A chances last night but that was his first NHL game and he will start burying them sooner or later and once he does he will continue doing so in bunches.

He is one of those players who once they figure things out gets better and better every game and then takes over.

I was happy with his game. I still expect him to head back to MCH but to be ready for a call up depending on how far MCH goes.

Muzzin still looking good. Ellerby had a good game. Scuds back on track all things considered.

JB making allot of people look pretty foolish right about now.

Great game GO KINGS GO!!!

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The TOI was pretty weird last night. The third line had the most minutes out of anyone. Richards-Carter-Tofolli averaged 12 minutes. I will say I wish Carter and Richards were out on the PK more.

I think it's great that 4 lines can be rolled out as much as they are in a compressed season. You won't end up killing the guys on the top 2 lines going into the playoffs. With the defencemen it's different because of the injuries but this is a lot like last Feb-June where you knew you could roll 4 lines because everyone was playing so well.

Also, having a rookie in his first game, Richie on LW and Carter at C, everything was a bit mixed up. If Toffoli had started on the 4th line, that line would have likely seen less playing time.

I hope they keep Toffoli up for a few more games. Every time the Kings put someone on with Richards and Carter this season, they seemed to start well and then fade. Toffoli must feel a bit intimidated starting on the 2nd line of the Cup champs with 2 established stars. Shelter his minutes while you can afford to roll 4 lines.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Richards line only had 13 min cause they were one and done with ZERO fore-check.

Sutter probably kept their shifts short, that line doesn't have anyone that can fore-check.

Toffoli is not a guy, that is going to dig pucks out of corners.

And Richards/Carter don't do it consistently ether. It's not the greatest line makeup.

Carter/Richards need someone that can create space, and dig pucks out of corners.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I know it's not the be-all end-all, but Richards is -8 this year, currently worst on the team.

He has been like Doughty was lately, where he is just a magnet for minuses. Some his fault, but a lot of them. I think every single time Quick has given up a soft goal, Richards has been out on the ice.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Stoll, Lewis and King were leading the Kings in ice time yesterday, which was pretty awesome for them to earn.

When this line is clicking and using the body I think they are my favorite to watch because they do it out of sheer determination and effort. Hope Lewis' offensive touch continues because that'll make that line dangerous.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
King/Stoll/Lewis was dominant last night. That is probably the best hockey those guys have played all season.

They made every line they went up against their bit%^ch.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
King/Stoll/Lewis was dominant last night. That is probably the best hockey those guys have played all season.

They made every line they went up against their bit%^ch.

Agreed. Right now, all 4 lines are contributing, like in the playoffs. Unfortunately, the defense and goaltending have been a roller coaster ride.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I can see why Lewis is Sutter's favorite player. Kid is just all heart and drive.

You guys see Lewis out muscle two sharks down low (for Kings Goal)? Awesome...

Lewis has more points in 27 games, than he did in 72 last year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Sutter matched the Stoll line against Thornton for the most part, which is why they played so much. They have good size, are pretty mobile, and are exceptional in the circle. King has mass going for him, and Stoll and Lewis are tenacious.

Those guys really upped their game last night, it was great to see.

I've been very happy with Sutter and line combos. He juggles them sometimes, but a lot less than some other coaches we've had and he always goes back to some variation of what we had success with last year. It's not surprising that we are doing so well at home this year, he's a wizard with match-ups.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
Agreed. Right now, all 4 lines are contributing, like in the playoffs. Unfortunately, the defense and goaltending have been a roller coaster ride.

I think we are really missing the presence of Greene and Mitchell; they had a lot to do with our solid D and great PK last season. Our goaltenders could certainly stand to come up with a few more big stops per game, but considering the rate at which we've been allowing the opposition to tee-up in the slot with defensive mistakes, I feel like that's not really gonna solve the problem.

All I can say is, I'm sure glad we figured out how to score goals. This year's defense with last year's offense would put us out of the playoffs. On the other hand, this years offense with last year's defense would make us unstoppable :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad