Post-Game Talk: #27 - 12/5/19 | RANGERS @ blue jackets

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012
Put Kreider-Chytil-Buch back together

Buch getting barely over 10mins of ice time and taken off the PP is unacceptable

KK is not overly impressive yet always gets the treatment of favor

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Sure whatever. If they didn't compete hard last year, especially last game of the season, they don't finish 6th and get the second pick. Chicago finished 12th and got the 3rd pick. I would rather see the team compete and win than tank. Lets not go over this again.
I mean, that’s luck. The fact remains that the probably of winning the lottery goes up the lower you finish in the standings. I still want this team to do well though, as it will obviously be better for our current prospects. Making the playoffs will be a huge morale boost for them.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
View attachment 287127 Not too shabby for a rebuilding team. LOL@TB+TOR:laugh:
Does anyone else remember when so many people were saying the Devils won the offseason? xD

And that Shero was a genius?

And that they “stole” Subban from Nashville?

And that Gusev had Kucherov potential?

And that Simmonds was a great addition?

etc. etc.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Shot_rates.PNG

Hockey just isn't fun and the Rangers aren't an NHL team.

Every year from 15-16 on is exactly the same.
That is just so so strange

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Panarin line got buried all night. And they played 20 plus mins. You cannot keep running Strome out there because he gets gifted points playing with bread. They were the worst 3 players according to the charts and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. Been banging this drum for weeks. And now with Mika back there’s zero excuse to have Strome as your defacto top line guy.

I like Strome and he has been good for this team but Mika should absolutely be on the first line and get the most minutes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As bad as that is and as poorly as they have played today and as much as I like analytics, it's stuff like "the Rangers aren't an NHL team" when they have a somewhat respectable record that gives advanced stats a bad name.
I mean, they're like two standard deviations below the second worst team :laugh:

Artemi Panarin has a respectable record

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Everyone was so worked up about the PP last game, now no1curr they went with this tonight:

Kreider
Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
DeAngelo

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
That's got to be one of the best goalie performances I've ever seen. He turns absolutely grade A chances, into such easy routine stops as if they are boring him. And the one or two times where he has to stand on his head to get across the crease to make the second save,.. are just unreal. He won this game with no help in front. Time and again CBJ had quality one-timers from between the dots,.. with not a prayer of hope of getting by him. That was just masterful. He coulda played another two periods making 40 more saves.

We have had some really good individual efforts this year, Zibad's first two games, Hank's 40 plus save performance, Kakko's OT winner and others. This has to be right up there.

With this performance following his shutout, I really can't see him losing another game this year. He was that good. He deserves to play tomorrow. And he might cause Hank doesn't do well vs MTL.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and The S5

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
This was one of our worst games of the year and that's saying a lot.
This helps with development. Georgie should gain confidence from this game. The kids learn it's possible to still win even though they played like shit. That builds team confidence.
What was Howden doing on the Jones goal? He should close the gap between Jones and the center of the ice. Instead, he skates to the point and collides with his own winger.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
We don't need the 13th overall to draft some scrub......

I have another truism. If we trade our first round pick, we have 0% chance of drafting a bust in the first round; therefore, to avoid busting it's better to not draft than draft 1st OA since a team is more likely to draft Alexander Daigle with the 1st OA than had they not drafted in the 1st round.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I mean at some point when you basically overturn the entire roster during the last 3-4 years and there are still fundatmental problems, it’s probably an organizational issue

I refuse to believe that it’s solely the player faults because they’re just not executing

Over on the Quinn thread I’ve been arguing this same point— these are NHL players who know how to defend. Players don’t make it to the NHL without being able to take and receive coaching. The defensive system is systematically broken. I’ve highlighted the flaws over and over again here( defensemen backing in, lack of pressure on the puck, inability to clog up the neutral zone because of over pressuring the puck below the tops of the circles on the forecheck, the F3 sagging to far into the zone during transition play.). If many of us can see these things I now have to believe that this is Quinn’s system. It’s abysmal— simple as that.

With that said, Georgie just played “brick wall mode” and stole the Rangers that game! I’m happy they won! I’m going to tonight’s game vs Montreal— very excited!

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I don't think there's a scenario in which this roster is excellent defensively. The system itself is nothing complicated. The main issue is that they play the passive version of it, i.e. defenders don't attack forwards until they're already in the zone, and they don't attack the points enough. They're playing as safe as possible, which has the exact opposite intended effect. I've seen them play it aggressively in spurts, and that is when the team has looked its best, i.e. when defenders are standing up attacking forwards at the blue line or even at the red line, and attacking the points aggressively. They basically turtle for full games. Why? I don't know. Maybe they think the roster is too young to play aggressively, or maybe Quinn himself feels too inexperienced to play them aggressively. They're playing not to lose.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I don't think there's a scenario in which this roster is excellent defensively. The system itself is nothing complicated. The main issue is that they play the passive version of it, i.e. defenders don't attack forwards until they're already in the zone, and they don't attack the points enough. They're playing as safe as possible, which has the exact opposite intended effect. I've seen them play it aggressively in spurts, and that is when the team has looked its best, i.e. when defenders are standing up attacking forwards at the blue line or even at the red line, and attacking the points aggressively. They basically turtle for full games. Why? I don't know. Maybe they think the roster is too young to play aggressively, or maybe Quinn himself feels too inexperienced to play them aggressively. They're playing not to lose.
Most of these reasons are why Ruff should be relieved.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
That's got to be one of the best goalie performances I've ever seen. He turns absolutely grade A chances, into such easy routine stops as if they are boring him. And the one or two times where he has to stand on his head to get across the crease to make the second save,.. are just unreal. He won this game with no help in front. Time and again CBJ had quality one-timers from between the dots,.. with not a prayer of hope of getting by him. That was just masterful. He coulda played another two periods making 40 more saves.

We have had some really good individual efforts this year, Zibad's first two games, Hank's 40 plus save performance, Kakko's OT winner and others. This has to be right up there.

With this performance following his shutout, I really can't see him losing another game this year. He was that good. He deserves to play tomorrow. And he might cause Hank doesn't do well vs MTL.
Would have been interesting to see Hanks reactions to geo’s saves. Hopefully he enjoyed it and was excited for his success.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad